Washer for Ultra-G

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
Newbie here.

I have an ARC AAA LE and find part of the genius behind this little light is the clever use of a compressable washer to eliminate battery rattle.

Has anyone tried to find a rubber washer [or something similar] that will work on the CMG Ultra (G). If so, what size and brand?

saunterer

Newly Enlightened
For my Ultra, I took a piece of pipe insulation (grey spongy type, don't know exactly what to call it) and took the body of the Ultra and cored out a piece. Then I took an old .22 casing and punched the center hole out for the positive tip of the battery. Placed it on top of the battery, versus securing it to the LED head and works like a champ.

Somewhere here at CFP, someone was using 3M rubber feet (like on the bottom of cutting boards or the such). Do a search for Infinity Ultra and it should produce something.

--Chris

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm using a small O-ring, big enough to fit over the 'nipple' on the plus end a bit thicker than the nipple is tall. Works great, no rattle with a quarter to half a turn 'back off'.

Doug Owen

Wylie

Enlightened
I like that washer idea, thanks Doug Owen. I think I have one around here somewhere that should work too. I have been using tape around my nimh but when the light is off the batter still wants to jiggle a little.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
Thanx everyone, all great ideas.

I just happened to have some of that pipe isulation that Chris mentioned around the house and made my own washer. It is not real pretty, but it works great.

Interesting that so many people saw the same design flaw and addressed it themselves, maybe someone from CMG is lurking and can build it into their next generation.

- Dave

KDC

Newly Enlightened
A slightly different solution is to use a 1.5 by 2 inch
post-it note wrapped around the battery. Leave a small
amount overlapping the positive end and it nicely prevents
battery rattle in the Ultra-G. Also works nicely in the
Arc AAA if the rubber washer is too thin.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
My own fix consisted of buying 1/8" weatherstripping foam from Home Depot.

I punched a hole in the middle of a piece with a paper punch. I then took the piece with the hole and centered it over a .45 ACP casing and used a small hammer to "cut" it out.

Two perfectly round holes. Works like a charm.

CCW

Newly Enlightened
I had an extra washer/spacer from ARC-LS. Worked perfect.

Alan_L

Newly Enlightened
After reading this thread, it inspired me to look for my own 'mod'. I was able to cut a thin slice of rubber latex tubing about 5 mm wide. It is narrow enough to fit inside the Ultra-G with room for the battery nipple to make contact. I'm able to unscrew it quite a bit before I hear anything.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
They aren't broken, so I will not fix them. I have 5 CMG Ultras, mostly G's, and two Infinity's. They all rattle, and they turn on easy. I never felt a need to make them "quiet". These are great lites, and their design troubles me not.