Review: "The Black Tiger" Tacticool Light ;)

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
So last autumn I was out shopping with the kids at a local tacticool store (Target) when we came upon a display of the latest tacticool flashlights on the market. We dubbed it "The Black Tiger." Read on an you'll see why, and learn why you will need to add at least one to your tactical flashlight collection.

First, let's start with the color. Tacticool black. Oh yeah.

The body is a high-tech polymer composite, resistant to most threats out there: heat and bubblegum. Sticky fingers? No problem.

The design incorporates several unusual features that truly define a new paradigm in flashlight design. First, to engage the light one must press on the orange trigger switch. This then rotates the head of the light backwards, and the light emits a dark, sinister "meeeeooooow" sound. Perfect to convince the "evil doers" that there's a dark cat in the grass, NOT a mall ninja. Oh yeah. Please note the appendages that are used to camouflage this light- the cat's eyes, the ears, the collar. Intriguing, to be sure.

This is a shot with the high-output, tactical incan lamp engaged:

Now, disengaged:

NOTE: The light can be disengaged by depressing the orange trigger. However, if one were to inadvertently rotate the flashlight head without depressing the orange trigger, the light stays engaged- this makes it IDEAL for emergency signaling for those times when stranded in the desert, upon a mountaintop, or for when you've stubbed your big toe.

The light runs on 2xC cells. We've used Duracells but have not yet tried out AW C-sized lithiums yet. The battery compartment is secured with two phillips screws. Awesome idea, as it should be compatible with most philips screwdrivers worldwide, and gives us the chance to test out our Ti Skeletools. No chance of this battery compartment accidentally opening!!!

Size: well, it is a little bigger than most of our other tactical lights. However, the handle is ergonomically correct, predating those silly Tomahawk lights by months. One could easily slip the handle between a belt and trousers, providing a secure and robust mounting point. The design is wonderful urban camouflage! Think about it- just set the light beside you, and no one will notice that it is a light. They'll think it is yet another pesky stray cat, a little too small for a meal.

Here it is alongside of a couple of the (formerly) best tactical lighting tools: the Ra Twisty 100-W and a milkyspit CreeMator:

Now, the output. Staggering incan power. No silly "regulation" circuits here to short or fail in combat. This is easily putting out in the realm of 1000 candlepower! Perhaps 6 lumens on fresh cells! A few beam artifacts, largely due to the smooth reflector, but in the "bush" one does not care. No way.

Here is a control photo of a black trashbag hanging in a black walled room, no ambient lighting:

Here is a photo of the same black trashbag, hanging in a black walled room, 10,000' away from "The Black Tiger."

10,000' feet! Can your light do this??? I doubt it. Prove it.

One more shot: A "terrorist" dressed in a black mall ninja costume, standing in front of the black trashbag, in a black walled room, 10,000' away:

See? No one can hide.

Summary:

For around $10 (must be a special introductory price- we got ours on a closeout aisle) it cannot be beat. SureFire nitrolon-type body (well, similar); black "tacticool" finish; high-output tactical incan lamp; pistol-style, positive, dual-action trigger engagement

Pros: All the above

Cons: Only available in the late autumn, in mid-to late October (specials may be found in early November)

wanted

Newly Enlightened
That's hilarious :lolsign:, good job with the review, loved it!

greenLED

Flashaholic
A well-esteemed CPFer was punked with one of those a while back. I find them extremely fun to play with.

Now, those might be the same ones that were recalled because of lead painting concerns. Dunno for sure, but I seem to recall a neighbor telling us about that.

lronchef

Newly Enlightened
I've got the tacticool raging monkey model of that light...The noise it makes is known to disorientate any prowler in the night up seizing the fridge in the wee hours of the night.

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL:crackup::clap:

I sold one the very same having read the disclaimer written in small print, on the under side of the flap sealing the bottom of the box it came in.

I'm paraphrasing as my memory fades, but it read something like this..........

":caution:Lack of proper care and attention may result in the light turning off at will and crapping in your slipper while you sleep. Liion Compatible:p."

Mdinana

Enlightened
So... is that a reverse-trigger or a forward-trigger lighting mechanism? :whistle:

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
So... is that a reverse-trigger or a forward-trigger lighting mechanism? :whistle:
Well, du-uh, that would depend upon what part of the world you are from.

Australia and those down south- Reverse-trigger. That includes our friends across the 'Pond' on that silly little island nation
Everyone else in the enlightened world: Forward-trigger

:devil:

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL:crackup::clap:

I sold one the very same having read the disclaimer written in small print, on the under side of the flap sealing the bottom of the box it came in.

I'm paraphrasing as my memory fades, but it read something like this..........

":caution:Lack of proper care and attention may result in the light turning off at will and crapping in your slipper while you sleep. Liion Compatible:p."

THAT explains it. I thought the dog got into the kids' chocolate bars again. Whew.:D

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got the tacticool raging monkey model of that light...The noise it makes is known to disorientate any prowler in the night up seizing the fridge in the wee hours of the night.

Where are the pics, man??? Come on- we need to assemble a FAQ for this line of lights.:thumbsup::ohgeez:

"Black Tiger"
"Raging Monkey" (I prefer "Bodacious Babboon" but then again I've had too much caffeine today)

I want to have luxluthor to chime in and suggest some great incan mods. WA1111? Custom battery pack? MOP reflector? Progold all contacts?

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
:lolsign: How do you EDC it? Maybe you could contact Milky and mod it into a Milky Black Tiger :D

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
:lolsign: How do you EDC it? Maybe you could contact Milky and mod it into a Milky Black Tiger :D

Er, the ergonomic handle can easily slip into a belt or backpack strap. Geez. If you can EDC an Amodotech N30 or SureFire Beast, you can EDC this light too, and have plenty of space left over. And lots of money for cells.

milkyspit mod? :ironic: Come on. This is a man's light (sorry Greta...), not a whimpy LED mod. Electronics? Phosphor? Solder? Geez, just a (likely lead-soldered) bulb, the essentials. And maybe some lead-based paint. But it sure is shiny!

:sick2::ohgeez:

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Black Tiger"
"Raging Monkey" (I prefer "Bodacious Babboon" but then again I've had too much caffeine today)

A landmark light and one widely held as PK's inspiration for the SureFire Kroma.

The "Heavy Metal Kettle"
01aa_1.jpg

I am not sure whether the red front end is a night adapted vision diffusion filter but am reliably informed the side mounted slide based UI will activate a selection of choice heavy metal and classic rock tracks from the late 80's and early 90's to act as both warning and distress signal.

Maybe a more experienced user can jump in here?

Last edited:

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Heavy Metal Kettle" - yep, a precursor to the Kroma and that copycat, the LunaSol. Must have been the inspiration for the Milspec Kroma and the DARPA lights. My bro' was in PsyOps in Iraq and they used to blast loud 80's and 90's rock at the poor Iraqi troops- they'd turn themselves in to hide from the noise. I bet the PsyOps music didn't make the cut, did it PK? Hmmm? Just copying what you can make work, I bet.

Raging Monkeys, Rockin' Kettles, and Black Tigers too.

I found this little guy, but it just doesn't have that "tacticool" thing going for it. No mall ninja dream light, but pretty effective: