New EBay Policy - Seller cannot leave negative feedback !

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
eBay indicated that this will create a more honest system since buyers will not be afraid of leaving seller a negative feedback in fear of retalitation. But what if the buyer genuinely deserve a negative feedback? i.e., he/she did not pay and not responding to your emails?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Yeah, I agree with you...and am not quite sure what the effect will be.

I do know that the system was pretty lame in previous format, as practically no seller would leave feedback unless & until I received item I paid for and first posted my own positive feedback about seller.

I also had a case where a seller was listing a retail set of StarTrek DVD's, and he sent burned copies of Memorex DVD-R media from withing the USA. I protested my PayPal payment, with photos of shipped box, hand labeled discs, and copies of my correspondence. PayPal refunded me, and seller proceeded to leave negative feedback, which EBay would not remove, despite my providing them the same information. Otherwise, I have not had a bad experience as buyer or seller on Ebay.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, that's terrible.

I also had a case where a seller was listing a retail set of StarTrek DVD's, and he sent burned copies of Memorex DVD-R media from withing the USA. I protested my PayPal payment, with photos of shipped box, hand labeled discs, and copies of my correspondence. PayPal refunded me, and seller proceeded to leave negative feedback, which EBay would not remove, despite my providing them the same information. Otherwise, I have not had a bad experience as buyer or seller on Ebay.

I've sold many items from eBay before ... aside from lights, I also like knives, and general outdoor gears. I tend to upgrade my gears often, so my old gears (still very new and good condition) get sold on eBay. I have all positive feedbacks so far (214) and I always leave my feedback for the buyers first. That's just the way I work.

I think in general, a lot buyers just choose not to leave negative feedback for bad experience.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recall if the buyer didn't pay or whatever, the seller can leave negative after going through ebay claim.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
That still applies with the new rules? I haven't been up to date with that.

I recall if the buyer didn't pay or whatever, the seller can leave negative after going through ebay claim.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember reading that somewhere after the rule change, but I haven't touched ebay in some time now so not 100% sure.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. I'll see if I could find some answers from eBay. I sell stuff ocassionally on eBay.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
The new rule includes wording to the effect that if a buyer has paid in a timely manner the seller can not submit negative feedback.

If you think about it, the buyer's commitment in a transaction is to pay. That's all.

A sellers commitment is greater, since they make claims about the item, including specific models, features and the item's condition. The seller also has the burden of sending the item in such a way that it reaches the buyer.

So it makes sense to me that a buyer can leave feedback about of lot of things, but the seller has more stringent criteria to meet.

This does not address the problem of pain-in-the-butt buyers. Those would be the ones who send dozens of emails complaining that it has not reached them overnight. It does cover dishonest buyers who claim that a product was not delivered and rescind payment.

As I said before... most sellers will not refuse to sell to a pain, but will refuse to sell to a deadbeat.

Daniel

(BTW, I do work for eBay and nothing I say speaks for the company in any capacity. I'm just a grunt.)

( They made me say that.)

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice, you work for eBay? Nice!

That makes sense about what you said about the buyer's commitment. However, I've encountered times when the buyer disappears for a couple of weeks, not responding to my emails or eBay message. I'll file for a dispute, and they respond immediately and pay for the item. Then they start asking me within a couple of hours whether I had the chance to ship it out (on a Saturday late afternoon). I've been lucky where I've only dealt with less than 5 problematic buyers ... most of my transactions have been relatively smooth. *knock on wood*.

I do, however, like the new system where the seller can't leave the buyer a negative feedback, provided that the buyer has paid ontime.

The new rule includes wording to the effect that if a buyer has paid in a timely manner the seller can not submit negative feedback.

If you think about it, the buyer's commitment in a transaction is to pay. That's all.

A sellers commitment is greater, since they make claims about the item, including specific models, features and the item's condition. The seller also has the burden of sending the item in such a way that it reaches the buyer.

So it makes sense to me that a buyer can leave feedback about of lot of things, but the seller has more stringent criteria to meet.

This does not address the problem of pain-in-the-butt buyers. Those would be the ones who send dozens of emails complaining that it has not reached them overnight. It does cover dishonest buyers who claim that a product was not delivered and rescind payment.

As I said before... most sellers will not refuse to sell to a pain, but will refuse to sell to a deadbeat.

Daniel

(BTW, I do work for eBay and nothing I say speaks for the company in any capacity. I'm just a grunt.)

( They made me say that.)

Aluminous

Enlightened
Here's some information from eBay on the changes that took effect in May 2008: http://pages.ebay.com/services/forum/new.html

Why is eBay making these changes?

Repeat Feedback credit
Sellers who drive repeat business should be rewarded when they receive repeat Feedback.

No negative or neutral Feedback for buyers
The previous system prevented buyers from leaving honest Feedback since they feared retaliation from the sellers if they left a negative. This made it harder for buyers to distinguish between sellers while making bidding or buying decisions. In addition, when buyers received negative Feedback, they reduced their activity in the marketplace, which in-turn harmed sellers.

Removal of negative and neutral Feedback from suspended members
Members who are suspended for Unpaid Items or other policy violations should not be permitted to harm the reputation of members in good standing.

Preventing negative or neutral Feedback from being left within 7 days of a transaction for PowerSellers who have been registered at least 12 months
Buyers who buy from PowerSellers who have been on eBay for at least 12 months have fewer bad buying experiences. Limiting buyers from leaving Feedback for PowerSellers does not undermine marketplace safety, encourages communication, drives members to leave positive Feedback and will limit Feedback extortion.

Elimination of Mutual Feedback Withdrawal
There are a number of reasons for removing Mutual Feedback Withdrawal, including:

1. Leaving the possibility of Feedback withdrawal leaves buyers open to possible harassment and/or unwanted contacts by sellers attempting to have the buyer change the Feedback.
2. Since only buyers can leave negative Feedback, the Mutual Feedback Withdrawal process could be used as a tool for Extortion - buyer leaves negative first, then removes once satisfied.
3. Numerous enhancements coming in May limit the need for Mutual Feedback Withdrawal:
* Enhancing Buyer Requirements - this enables sellers to better control which buyers purchase from them.
1. UPI buyer requirement will enable sellers to prevent buyers from bidding/buying who had a strike as much as 12 months ago (instead of the 30 days today)
2. A new buyer requirement will enable sellers to restrict buyers who have policy violations against them
* 7 day waiting period before a buyer can leave negative or neutral Feedback for PowerSellers who have been on site for at least 12 months.
* Enhancements to the Leave Feedback flow, encouraging communication with the seller before negative or neutral Feedback is left.
* Positive Feedback percentage will be based on past 12 months, which lessens the long-term impact of an unfair negative.
* Removal of neutral or negative Feedback when a buyer becomes suspended - so suspended buyers won't be able to negatively impact a seller's record.
* Repeat Feedback credit - even though the seller is not able to remove the negative via MFW, there is still an incentive to correct any issue the buyer had with them since repeat buyer Feedback now counts
4. Like today, sellers can respond to any negative or neutral Feedback via the Reply to Feedback option. Buyers can also leave a follow-up to their original comment.

Reducing the time a member can leave Feedback from 90 days to 60 days
Today less than 5% of all Feedback left is between day 60 and day 90. There are some legitimate reasons to leave Feedback after 60 days, but with electronic payment methods like PayPal and more options for overseas shipment, transaction times have decreased since the Feedback system was created almost 12 years ago. Further, it is important that members leave Feedback early in order to let other members know whether their experience was positive or negative.

In lieu of negative feedback, sellers can still report non-paying buyers with the NPB system, and apparently most sellers set up their auctions to block anyone from bidding who has more than one or two NPB strikes. http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/unpaid-item-process.html

Last edited:

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well that's just pure eBay logic isn't it? if they wanted a fair & honest performance measurement system why not make feedback invisible and combine ratings it for an over all grade, eBay sucks IMHO & I only use it as a last resort to purchase any given item ;)

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
I'm glad to see this take effect. I had purchased a Surefire L6(sniped it for a great price) about 2 years ago and the seller was simply a drop shipper with no inventory. Long story short...It took over a month to receive it and package was open, etc(Claimed it was new condition, never opened and in stock). I posted negative feedback so he posted negative feedback on me for no reason. He then tried to negotiate a withdrawal of the neg. feedback if I withdrew mine. Of course I did not want neg. feedback so I agreed. Kind of like coping a plea for something you didn't do just to avoid court. I always thought the system was flawed and now it's just a bit better IMO.

Regards,
Flavio

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Well that's just pure eBay logic isn't it? if they wanted a fair & honest performance measurement system why not make feedback invisible and combine ratings it for an over all grade, eBay sucks IMHO & I only use it as a last resort to purchase any given item ;)

I don't know why they don't do it that way. I suspect that it would be either less useful or more prone to being abused.

You sort of have to ask yourself how people would abuse that setup, what can go wrong with it and how people will use the information. The objective is to give people the tools to determine whom they can trust.

Daniel
(see required disclaimer above)

Haz

Enlightened
The most positive thing to come out of this, is that the seller cannot threaten the buyer with negative feedback, if the buyer gives the seller a negative feedback. I've seen sellers sell fake goods, which the buyer left a negative feedback, in retaliation the seller gives the buyer a negative feedback. The seller then negotiates to settle the issue by paying a compensation or refund to keep the buyers mouth shut and the negative feedback is removed. Consequently the negative comments are removed, and the seller continues to offload their fake goods. Hopefully, this will clean up some of the fakes good pretending to be genuine on ebay.