Recommendations for a multimeter? ...

cmeisenzahl

Enlightened
My dad tried to give me one a few years and and I either declined or lost it. Now I wish I had it. ;-)

I'm about to buy one, any notable difference is practical functionality between analog and digital? Any must-have or who-cares features?

I think I'll use it for testing batteries, working on appliances, and some automotive work. I see several for sale at radio Shack and Sears for say $12 to $30.

All advice appreciated, thanks!

A few I was looking at ...

Craftsman Analog Multimeter - Model 82362 at Sears.com
"Craftsman Analog Multimeter"
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_03482362000P

Craftsman Multimeter, Digital, with 8 Functions and 20 Ranges - Model 82141 at Sears.com
"Craftsman Multimeter, Digital, with 8 Functions and 20 Ranges"
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_03482141000P

RadioShack.com - Cables, Parts & Connectors: Test & measuring equipment: Multimeters: 17-Range Analog Multimeter
"17-Range Analog Multimeter $16.99"
http://tinyurl.com/5pckce

RadioShack.com - Cables, Parts & Connectors: Test & measuring equipment: Multimeters: 15-Range Digital Multimeter
"15-Range Digital Multimeter $19.99"
http://tinyurl.com/6npekx

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think only the second linked one is worth it. You'll definitely want to be able to measure amps (so the fourth linked one is out), and the price difference between #2 and the others is literally only a few bucks. Diode check and a continuity tone are also very handy to have. A multimeter is something you may very well be using several times a week, if not multiple times each day.

I personally have an Extech 411, and a couple months ago I got one of these Craftsman clampmeters for measuring large currents. If you want to go really high end, look at Fluke, but those are pretty expensive.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Digital ones are much easier to use especially for a novice. The two digital meters you have listed in your post should work find for casual use.

Bill

InTheDark

Enlightened
I'd go with digital, just because it's easier to read the large numbers than having to look at a needle and scale, plus on all my analog meters I've eventually cracked the plastic casing covering the needle. About the only advantage I can think of for the analog meters is you could still do a voltage measurement even when the batteries are dead (correct me if I'm wrong)

Any of those meters would work. I'd definitely get one with audible tone so you dont' even have to look at the meter when doing continutity testing.

Flukes are the really good meters, but really expensive and probably overkill for your use. For general around the house use where you really don't really need pinpoint accuracy, I buy the cheap meters when they go on sale at Harbor Freight and just leave them all over the place.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92020

It's good to have spares because the batteries will always be dead when you need it. I leave the HF ones in the garage and toolbox because they get abused a lot, and keep the Fluke indoors for other projects. The HF ones see a whole lot more use. Surprisingly I've never had one fail on me (and I treat them like $3 meters), except for the time I lent it to a friend. He tried to measure the voltage from a wall outlet but had the probes set for current measurement. For those that don't know, that's basically shorting out an electrical outlet. Even though there was a fuse in the meter, I ended up with a melted probe wire and some burnt components in the multimeter.

Last edited:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
He tried to measure the voltage from a wall outlet but had the probes set for current measurement. For those that don't know, that's basically shorting out an electrical outlet. Even though there was a fuse in the meter, I ended up with a melted probe wire and some burnt components in the multimeter.

I did that once. :crazy: I blew the meter's 20A fuse, melted the chrome plating off of the brass probe that hit the hot, and the spark left black residue inside the outlet. Meter's fine now with a new fuse.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last month I picked up a 7 function/20 range Equus 4320a DMM for $15.

Looks very similar to the one in the second link in the original post.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps I should mention that my Extech, as well as many other DMMs, sounds a continuous tone if you set the dial to read voltage but plug a probe into the current jack. :whistle:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got 2 of the $19.99 Radioshack meters (which I use all the time and leave all over the place) and a Fluke 179 which sees comparatively little use but is well-protected in a Pelican case. Go figure....:shakehead

Karl

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
My latest one uses 3 AAA cells instead of a 9 volt battery. That's something I've always wanted. Of course if I could get a 9 volt eneloop, it wouldn't matter.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got 2 of the $19.99 Radioshack meters (which I use all the time and leave all over the place) and a Fluke 179 which sees comparatively little use but is well-protected in a Pelican case. Go figure....:shakehead
Sounds like me.

I have a decent Extech 330 that I like, but nine out of ten times I use a DMM are for checking battery/pack voltage, and I've got a cheap POS I picked up for $9.99 and keep in my battery tub that works just fine for that purpose.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
my Extech, as well as many other DMMs, sounds a continuous tone if you set the dial to read voltage but plug a probe into the current jack. :whistle:

My Mastech beeps if the probes are plugged in wrong for the dial setting. It also flashes a light around the jack that should be used. If a probe isn't plugged in, it lights up steadily the jack that should be used. But again, the thing I like most is that it doesn't use a 9 volt battery.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
For testing batteries, get a cheap battery tester at Radio Shack or Harbor Freight. Some of them will place a battery under load, which is a much more accurate test than measuring open-circuit voltage with a high impedance meter.

For the rest of your uses, choose something that has a replaceable fuse. Beyond that, look for extras like frequency measurement. You never know when it's going to come in handy.

Last edited:

john46268

Newly Enlightened
I got the Sears digital. Can't go wrong there... cheap enough and rugged and reliable, not to mention accurate. :twothumbs

Qoose

Enlightened
Personally I use a fluke. Amazing thing.

But one thing that I really like that you can probably get with many probes is a variety of tips, alligator clips being some of my favorite. My fluke came with a large caboodle of tips which are conveniently stored in the case. There is nothing as annoying as having to find a third hand to get a reading or hold together a circuit.

And yes, be careful when testing AC from a wall.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
None of you will believe me, but for flashlight use, there is nothing, at any price, to better a vintage Avometer Model 7.

I mean it. Cheap or expensive DMMs, data logging RS232 meters, clamp meters, FET VoMs, VTVMs, ultra-sensitive analog mutimeters, classic Westons, CRO adaptors, later model Avometers, the lot. Better than any of them.

Why? I did say for flashlight use. The Avo Model 7 is unrivalled for low burden voltage on the DC current scales. Nothing else even comes near it.

It's horses for courses though. If you also use a meter for some other purpose, I would probably recommend something else. But if you just want to play with torches, then the Model 7 is a joy to own and use. And is a collectors item and a classic in its own right.

The only danger is that owning one might just set you on the slippery slope of test instrument collecting...