Never show-off a great EDC light...

Stainz

Enlightened
I had both my Fenix P2D Q5 Premium and a SF 6P LED at an outdoor auction early in the spring. The folks at the center had forgotten to get the maintenance folks to turn the outdoor lights on - the Olympic+ sized pool, ringed by tables of donated artwork and finer products, was suddenly in the dark as the sunlight faded. The auction ended early - but no one could secure the bids - or items - until my two lights appeared. Then, of course, I had to follow the ladies around... to 'protect' my lights. I felt bad demanding their return - which hastened once I told them what they cost.

Last weekend, at the in-laws, my f-i-l finally saw my little Fenix. They R-V a lot - and need to walk their Schnauzers at night... it'd be perfect. He had seen the 6P LED at Lowes - and thought $95 with s/t was 'too much'. He said the little one, with it's different levels and one battery, was worth it. I nearly lost my P2D! He didn't want to relinguish it. I told him about the 'F-S' - and their prices. He claimed internet ignorance... yeah, right! I fixed him - got my P2D back - and ordered him one Tuesday. That'll teach him! Of course, I did have to use my CC. I should have thought this through a bit better. I'll also have to deliver it Friday. Be careful about showing off your favorite lights!

Stainz

Aluminous

Enlightened
I had both my Fenix P2D Q5 Premium and a SF 6P LED at an outdoor auction early in the spring. The folks at the center had forgotten to get the maintenance folks to turn the outdoor lights on - the Olympic+ sized pool, ringed by tables of donated artwork and finer products, was suddenly in the dark as the sunlight faded. The auction ended early - but no one could secure the bids - or items - until my two lights appeared. Then, of course, I had to follow the ladies around... to 'protect' my lights. I felt bad demanding their return - which hastened once I told them what they cost.

I don't like letting people borrow items of any value, personally. Some of the CPF members are clearly well-off enough that they can afford the risks involved, but replacing anything that isn't super-cheap that gets broken/lost/stolen isn't in my budget. :broke: I'd follow them around shining a light myself, but wouldn't let it out of my hands. :) Maybe get some of those cheap Dealextreme fauxtons to let people borrow in the future, the Bic pen of flashlights. ;)

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep.

My sister went on a nighttime run and borrowed my early D-Mini with 1st run PEU 18650 body and an AW 17670. We had this little conversation when she got back:

"You know, this is a pretty good light!"
"It had better be, seeing as how the entire package cost over $100."

She handed it back very quickly, and hasn't borrowed it since. :laughing: I wasn't worried, though, since it's a simple, robust light, and she was just jogging around the neighborhood.

blinder switch

Newly Enlightened
Yep, I learned my lesson also in a similar situation with a family member. So, luckily all I had to give up was one of my SF G2's and they were happier than I thought. But as far as my higher end dollar LED EDC lights, no way, they have to spring for the cash to play with the good ones on their own dime. I'm sure that they will understand, and if not, well thats too bad.
icon12.gif

Riddick

Newly Enlightened
Gave a couple of Leathermans to my son, no big deal:D

But when i forked over a SureFire L1 cree and a G2L :faint: well lets just say I'm happy for him. By the way he is bigger and stronger than I am. But now he's hooked:devil: and maybe he'll return the favour . . . . . .:duh2: . . . someday ?

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha, you guys got off so easy!

My ex-wife (ok, a wife is a different matter) but I lost my 6P (back in 1991) two Spyderco Delica's (she'd lose them) and temporarily lost my S&W 640 to her (I had to buy it back from her for $300)

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's my problem. I lend and give people my shi* and get embarrassed about asking for it. I'm such an idiot! :(

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes i agree with Stainz,becoz most of the people which has no knowledge about flashlight thought that all flashlight are not that pricey.
I have the same experience - so the bottomline is i will hide my flashlights and locked it in cupboard - and i use wisely not to caught their attention.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before lending anything out, if thier not under my supervision (which i will almost never let happen), i tell them "this costs $XX dollars, you lose it, you buy it"

no one gets excused.

Crenshaw

Burgess

Flashaholic
Always carry a Fauxton in yer' pocket,

for the " Leeches ".

:devil:
_

roguesw

Enlightened
My rule of thumb for lending is, family and close close friends, i'll hand it over without a thought.
Other than that, if there is a legitimate reason for use, i wouldnt think for a second to hand it over.
Obviously, if its dark and there is no light and they need it for something important, than by all means, but if its dark and they only want to play, then i go play with them. (its great when you carry more than 2 flashlights, some of my friends like to go and shine 'em around the property at night)
I look at my lights this way,
for example
If my girlfriend is going home and walking alone at night, i always insist she take my lights, the brighter the better. You just never know.
I would be really guilty if soething happened to someone just because i didnt lend them a light.
Can you weight the cost of replacing a light compare to the cost of helping someone in need.

Stainz

Enlightened
Wow. I guess I grew up in a different time. I do occasionally lose things - but when someone asks to borrow something, or for me to do them a favor, I generally feel compelled to oblige them. I can understand the worry, but not to the point of being stingy. I did follow the two ladies - one was my wife's boss - easy to do, given the lights' brightness. I was amazed at how warm the SF was, actually, when I got it back.

I guess the humor escaped most folks - I let my f-i-l try my P2D - and ended up ordering him one - on my card! I got a notice it was mailed yesterday afternoon - maybe I'll see it Saturday. The F-S must be <150mi from here... and it takes longer to get an order from them than most of my knife-sources. Heck, I ordered a knife, regular ground UPS shipping, from a LA store - it was on my stoop 26 hr after the phone call. Patience, obviously, isn't one of my virtues.

Seriously, how will the buying public learn of our pocket flame throwers if we don't 'share' with them?

Stainz

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
This all supports the idea of having at least 1 cheap EDC. Lots of very good 1xAA lights at Kai/DX for under $15.

I've gotten so that my only EDC lately is the XJC B8 "Supet Bright" at $13. or so. If I lost it, the Eneloop inside would annoy me more the light itself (I'd have an odd number of Eneloop AAs, then...), and my sample at least, has been a very good light.

herolet

Newly Enlightened
My rule of thumb for lending is, family and close close friends, i'll hand it over without a thought.
Other than that, if there is a legitimate reason for use, i wouldnt think for a second to hand it over.
I would be really guilty if soething happened to someone just because i didnt lend them a light.
Can you weight the cost of replacing a light compare to the cost of helping someone in need.

Totally agree!

Latest posts