Any word on the R6 emitters?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there any news on the release date for the R6? I guess I'm waiting for a R6 powered BugOutGear "Super Premium" 1amp module. LOL! Last I heard was August. Anyone?

Burgess

Flashaholic
Ummm . . . .

I would kinda' expect R2 emitters to be plentiful by August.

R5 (R6?) . . . .

perhaps, MAYBE in another Year or Two.

Patience, my friend.

Be happy with what we have now.

;)
_

Burgess

Flashaholic
Perhaps i am confused ? ? ?

Are you talking about Cree LED's, in the R6 bin ?

Or, maybe you mean something else.

:oops:
_

Yapo

Enlightened
R6? this is the first i've heard of it...i didnt know anyone was waiting for them already!? Thats if there's even goin to be a R6... Maybe R4's but there arent even many R2's available... Its like waiting for a pocket/keychain light with a P7 emitter(although everyone's pockets may vary)

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
i think the consensus is "don't go selling crazy here, we're all stocked up!"
j/k, seriously i've only even heard of r2-r4 yet. and bins have slowed since early last years spurt of growth.

prediction:
r2 lights are plentiful by late july
r3 by late october

quote me and throw it in my face if i'm wrong.
the jetsons mobile will have r6 headlights ;)

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems like a few months ago you could get R2s(Dereelight, Jetbeam-Jet ProI went from a R2 to a Q5), but now none of the name brand manufacturers have them. They seem hard to get at this time.

Maybe the OP was thinking Q5 then R6. It goes Q2,Q4,Q5,R2,R3,R4

Last edited:

Jay T

Enlightened
It seems like a few months ago you could get R2s(Dereelight, Jetbeam-Jet ProI went from a R2 to a Q5), but now none of the name brand manufacturers have them.

Dereelight was only able to make 60 or so R2 lights.

But yet the super cheap bargain brands seem to have R2 coming out of their ears?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am confused. My Cree roadmap only show the bins going up to R4. Can someone please provide a link to the latest and greatest.
Creeroadmap.jpg

I think it makes more sense to go to the Cree MC-E. 790 lumens. The XR-E R4 max out at around ~260.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/198865

KDOG3 maybe it is time to waste $70 on a SSC-P7 cheapo light. ($45 light + $15 charger + $10 batteries) That way you have some idea how bright your next good light should be.
L-mini Q5 running at 900mA left, MTE SSC-P7 running at 2100mA right.
LminihiP7hi.jpg

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dereelight was only able to make 60 or so R2 lights.

But yet the super cheap bargain brands seem to have R2 coming out of their ears?
I snagged 2 of the DI R2 pills.:)

Hi LEDninja,
R2s are the latest emitter available, but they are hard to find and I'm not sure that you can get them in premium tints.

Last edited:

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure what you're talking about, R2 emitters have been plentiful for a long time already. I have been using one for many months at work.

The reality is that CreeXRE R2 bin emitters are still hard to come by right now. I won't consider R2s to be plentiful until US LED dealers/distributors can get them. I've been checking with LED Lighting Supply (who is a major distributor here in the US for Crees) on a regular basis and the last thing they told me was that R bin Crees won't be available to them for a least another couple months...so it makes sense to say they'll be more plentiful in August. I've been told by flashlight dealers that even most of the cheap Chinese made flashlight products that claim to be using R2 emitters are most likely not true R2s and are most likely really high performing Q5s. Of the few R2s I've gotten my hands on, the performance difference between them and current production Q5s are slight at best.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
.... I've been told by flashlight dealers that even most of the cheap Chinese made flashlight products that claim to be using R2 emitters are most likely not true R2s and are most likely really high performing Q5s....

Whoa, really? That's not good. So I wonder if I will really have a R2 in that R2 drop in I ordered from DX. Hmmm

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no difference between a high performing Q5 and a low performing R2 so I wouldn't sweat it that much. As you can see the flux bins overlap. Essentially it's just the name they put on the reel on the way out of the factory.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no difference between a high performing Q5 and a low performing R2 so I wouldn't sweat it that much. As you can see the flux bins overlap. Essentially it's just the name they put on the reel on the way out of the factory.

Yeah Q5s have been out for about a year now and so if you've gotten some recently, they're probably performing at the top of their capable flux range. Supposed R2s have been out for a few months and I would guess that any of the ones released during said time frame are probably the low performing ones. With that said, the overlapping does make sense.

Last edited:

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whoa, really? That's not good. So I wonder if I will really have a R2 in that R2 drop in I ordered from DX. Hmmm

I've gotten my hands on a couple of those Solorforce/DX "R2" dropins and I barely see a difference between them and my Q5 ones...and it's such a slight difference where you could argue that it looks the same.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you get a Q5 drop in and it's being driven at 1.2A, and you get a R2 drop in driven at 900mA or 1A the Q5 should be brighter. So buying a drop-in with a R2 in it doesn't mean it will be brighter, you have to know how it is being driven.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you get a Q5 drop in and it's being driven at 1.2A, and you get a R2 drop in driven at 900mA or 1A the Q5 should be brighter. So buying a drop-in with a R2 in it doesn't mean it will be brighter, you have to know how it is being driven.

Yes, I realize that... What I've seen is between a Solarforce Q5 and R2 P60 module with the same drivers. So like I said, barely a difference if even that.

And what also makes me question R2 availability is an admitted possible liberal bin description usage in the popular china made flashlights from a dealer representative I know.

I also recently purchased from a groupbuy a few R2s, sent them to Gene Malkoff to make a few custom R2 M60s for me. When I got them, they were about the same as my Q5 M60s. So as I said before, it seems the overlap is noticeable at the moment as current production Q5s are performing at their max flux capability while R2s are just coming out and at the lower end of their performance capability.

Last edited: