Boating flashlight

LawKid

Newly Enlightened
Has anybody designed a flashlight that specifically will float if dropped in the water?

Preferably LED based and 80 lumens or more.

It would be great if it was a bright color so it could be easily found if dropped in the water.

I looked in marine stores, but nothing seemed to specifically state that it would float.

ryanv

Newly Enlightened
i remember seeing a Waterproof 6P, not sure, I could be wrong.... I think it might have been made for diving..

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eveready has a line of floatable lanterns available at most discount department stores in the US. Shouldn't be hard to convert over to LED, they may even be making them in LED now.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Small lights usually don't float. Floating lights/lanterns (there are a lot made, and sold at places like Kmart, Walmart, etc) are usually pretty big to contain a pocket of air.

The much simpler solution is to get a 1xAA or 2xAA light, and attach a small float via the lanyard attachment. You know, the type made to keep your keys floating.

Misterbean

Newly Enlightened
one solution would be to get a small light like a G2L and get sealed cell foam tape and wrap it with it until it floats. the foam tape is made from the same stuff that lifeguard bouys and keychain floats are. i'll look and see if i can get you a link. it will make the flashlight bulkier but it would be less cumbersome than attaching anything to it. it would obviously work better with a non-aluminum/steel light. also using lithiums instead of alkies will help you use less tape.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about Underwater Kinetics? maybe not 80 lumens but designed for under water EDC.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
But they don't float. Diving lights are usually either neutral bouyancy or lean towards sinking. Now if you want to tether the light using some rope or paracord and a carabiner clip (something to that effect) then you can use any waterproof light. For hi vis you can just get some masking tape and day-glo orange spraypaint (masking tape optional, only if you want it to look nice ;))

Burgess

Flashaholic
Take a look at this thread:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/197923

Post # 19 has a link to purchase from Amazon.com.

Can't say that i have seen Eveready " floating 6-volt " lights,
( also called the Eveready Dolphin )
in USA stores for Years and Years now.

Perhaps, i'm just looking in the wrong places ? :candle:

Oh, and if you insist on installing an LED bulb,
look at the EverLED.

Make SURE you purchase an EverLED bulb in the Proper Polarity !

Good Luck in your quest for the perfect flashlight !

_

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
It may be that the coleman lanters are re-branded evereadys. Can't say that I've paid too much attention to them on the shelves

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the mention, Burgess!

I just googled "Energizer Sea Beam" (the US market name) and I see pictures of the MkV.

Bizarrely, this is mostly sold there in packs of 3. (Huh? One for home, one for the car, one for the boat???????????)

It's big, but that's because it has to float with the not inconsiderable ballast of 4 alkaline F cells on board. So the "empty space" has grown in recent years.

Keep googling; you should be able to find one for about US$10 if you shop around.

Lumens, if the bulb is the same as the Australian-market Mark 5 will be the KPR113 at 51 bulb lumens.

Whilst you CAN change that for a TLE-1F LED dropin (50 lumens), I would strongly recommend a Mag Xenon 4-cell LMSA401 bulb which will give you your required 81 bulb lumens, still with plenty of runtime. (Incidentally, a rough equivalent to this is bulb is now OEM in the newly-released Mark VI.)

Changing the subject slightly, Eveready have just released the "Mini Dolphin" (2D) and "Micro Dolphin" (2AA), for those who require a floating lantern but require something smaller. Either of these would be beaut with a TLE-1F.

I would love to say "I'd never go boating without one", but tbh, I get seasick on a 5000-ton ferry.