Dereelight V2 -vs- CL1H v3.0 -vs- RaidFire Spear

accr

Newly Enlightened
Which one has better throw? I read the V2 has 20xxx lux and the Spear has 22xxx lux, is that correct?

They all price around $110-$130, so I'm trying to pick out one with the best throw.

I read the dereelight can be upgraded, but do I just upgrade with any P60 size pills(like the R2 on DX) or do I need special ones from dereelight?

I can't seem to find any direct comparison on beam/readings with the google search neither:confused:

Thanks~:twothumbs

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Dereelight just uses M20x1 threaded modules, the same as the brass ones from DX, but they won't be any brighter than the stock Dereelight module. At least not yet.

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you go to the expense of getting a Dereelight- you would be better to use their drop ins, and pill updates. They are better quality. Not much diff from a Q5 to an R2. I saw a Spear...darn impressive!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The DBS will throw a bit further then the Spear due to it's wider reflector. The Cl1H can hit around 10,000 lux at max focus and a smooth reflector. The Spear is around 22,000 lux.

I'd get the DBS if you want throw. It would be easier to upgrade when the time comes.

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
On my light meter at 1m all with smooth reflectors:
RaidFire Spear 22,000 lux
DBS 3SD Q5 24,000 lux
DBS V2 3SD Q5 24,500 lux

When you look at the lux numbers from Dereelight reviews you have to look carefully at what pill was being used(there are a lot of different ones). With Dereelight you have a large choice of pills. Very upgradeable, when a new emitter comes out all you have to do is buy a new pill(~$30.00) instead of a new light.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm planning to get the DBS V2, however I'm unsure as to which pill gives me maximum output: The 1S which drives the Q5 at 1.2A but at max of 4.2v OR the 1SM-2 which is driven at 1.0A but at 8.4v??? I'm not picky about what type of cells to feed it as I have CR123a, RCR123s, 18650s &17670s. I'm after maximum throw and output from the DBS V2.

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the pills will see ~ the same voltage(Vf of the LED), the driver steps down the voltage of the 1SM-2.

What you want to look at is how hard they are driven. The digital pills are driven harder,(1.2 amps of current to the LED vs only 1 amp for the multi power series) so they are brighter.

I would only get one of the multi power pills if I had to use CR123s. The digital pills are brighter(1.2a vs 1a) and only require a single battery(18650). My personnel favorite is the 3SD pill.

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both the DBS V2 and the Spear are very nice lights. The V2 is slightly easier to upgrade, the Spear have slightly better heatsinking but no current upgrade modules. The CL1H is an allround light that can't compete with the others. The V2 and the Spear perform about the same in real world use. It's difficult to tell a difference.

I did some work with my DBS V2 And my Spear here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/190499

Stefan

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I should get the 1S for max output since its driven at 1.2A, I'm not really a fan of multimodes.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

All the pills will see ~ the same voltage(Vf of the LED), the driver steps down the voltage of the 1SM-2.

What you want to look at is how hard they are driven. The digital pills are driven harder,(1.2 amps of current to the LED vs only 1 amp for the multi power series) so they are brighter.

I would only get one of the multi power pills if I had to use CR123s. The digital pills are brighter(1.2a vs 1a) and only require a single battery(18650). My personnel favorite is the 3SD pill.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
FANTASTIC review Stef! Just what I was looking for! :wave:

Both the DBS V2 and the Spear are very nice lights. The V2 is slightly easier to upgrade, the Spear have slightly better heatsinking but no current upgrade modules. The CL1H is an allround light that can't compete with the others. The V2 and the Spear perform about the same in real world use. It's difficult to tell a difference.

Stefan

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I should get the 1S for max output since its driven at 1.2A, I'm not really a fan of multimodes.

Thanks! :thumbsup:
Thats Correct. Enjoy your new light, I think you will really like it.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
The stock DBS V2 you got was the R2 version. Wouldn't the Q5 version be less bright, thus the lux readings would be the same as the Tiablo A9?

Stefan

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
The stock DBS V2 you got was the R2 version. Wouldn't the Q5 version be less bright, thus the lux readings would be the same as the Tiablo A9?

The DBS with a Q5 will beat a Tiablo with a Q5 because the DBS has a larger reflector and produces a tighter beam.

I'd take my DBS v2 over my Raidfire Spear any day of the week. The Spear just feels akward and clunky to me. The DBS v2 has a pocket clip and I regularly clip it into my front left shorts pocket when I go on 5-6 mile walks around town, pushing my kids in their jogging stroller. It has never bothered me and carries very well for a larger light. The Spear just doesn't seem to be up to the same level of quality and performance.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spear has removable pill as well. There's no other pills available because there's no newer Cree bins.

DBS with R2 pill isn't brighter becase of higher Vf and yellow color (WH, but it's better for longer distances). R2 has similar/slightly lower lux readings.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spear has removable pill as well. There's no other pills available because there's no newer Cree bins.

DBS with R2 pill isn't brighter becase of higher Vf and yellow color (WH, but it's better for longer distances). R2 has similar/slightly lower lux readings.

That maybe true of some of the R2 drop-ins, but my Dereelight R2 WH for my DBS is brighter than my Q5. I got 26,500Lux out of a Q5, and 28,500LUX from the R2 WH.

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wade,
I respect your opinion about your DBS V2, but to me the DBS V2-Spear-Tiablo A9 are about equal in daily use, or at least in the same league. Yes, the DBS have the hottest numbers in throw lux, but that doesn't translate to real world usage in any noticable way. The main advantages of the DBS V2 is the great variety of standard size pills (led/driver modules) available and the clip.

All three are of similar build quality. I often end up using my modded Tiablos because they are lighter and somewhat slimmer than the other two. It's possible to get the Tiablo A9 for a lot less at the moment. Check the dealers section in the CPFMP.

Stefan

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do agree with you Stefan that it is hard to notice any difference in throw between the throwers, at least from what I've seen between my Raidfire and DBS. I just prefer the feel and functionality of my DBS. I don't like the large mushroom tailcap on the Raidfire for example. I haven't had a good opportunity to compare the DBS and Raidfire at really long range, say 800+ feet, in a very dark environment. After a running a few minutes my Raidfire drops to around 23,000LUX and my DBS v2 maintains 28,500, starting at nearly 30,000lux with a 18650 fresh off the charger, but it settles down to 28,500 after a minute or two. So the difference is about 5,000lux and that probably would be hard to notice in real world use. I assume for the difference to be noticeable you'd have to go from say 20,000lux to 40,000lux?

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do agree with you Stefan that it is hard to notice any difference in throw between the throwers, at least from what I've seen between my Raidfire and DBS. I just prefer the feel and functionality of my DBS. I don't like the large mushroom tailcap on the Raidfire for example. I haven't had a good opportunity to compare the DBS and Raidfire at really long range, say 800+ feet, in a very dark environment. After a running a few minutes my Raidfire drops to around 23,000LUX and my DBS v2 maintains 28,500, starting at nearly 30,000lux with a 18650 fresh off the charger, but it settles down to 28,500 after a minute or two. So the difference is about 5,000lux and that probably would be hard to notice in real world use. I assume for the difference to be noticeable you'd have to go from say 20,000lux to 40,000lux?

I can see a difference between my stock Tiablo A9 Q5 and my DBS V2 R2, that difference is about 7000 lux in throw at one metre. It's clearly visible at distances over 100 meters and up (+300 feet), but all these lights are kind of weak at distances over this and it's hard to see things clearly without image amplification.
Stefan

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
With my DBS I reguarly light things up at 500-700 feet and have no trouble making out things like deer, geese, ducks, etc. I like to use my DBS to see what kind of wild life is creeping about in fields, etc.