Future MOD dilema

prof student

Enlightened
Ok, here is my dilema. I have a SL 20X with a dead battery. Its about $40 to replace it.

With that cost, & wanting to eventually do (not anytime soon due to low $$) light/easy mods, would you
A) Stay with the SL 20X
B) Buy a Magcharger
C) Buy the SL Ultrastinger (though there might be no mods)

Yes, I am ONLY going with those 3.

Now, dunno if this next part should be in another thread (searched it also, but didn't find the answers I was looking for), but here goes....

Magcharger mods:
1) If you mod the Magcharger with a Malkoff, what is the runtime with the original battery pack?
2) can you run the original battery pack with the Malkoff & still enjoy it to the max?
3) If you buy a more powerful battery pack, can you still use the original maglite cradle/chager?

SL 20X mods:
the most popular & easiest I have read here is to switch the lamp assembly with one from a 35X.
1) how bright is the 35X lamp assembly?
2) how does that compare to the 20x?
3) using the 35X, what is the runtime with the original battery?
4) can you achieve the full potential of the 35x on the original battery, or do you have to buy a more powerful battery pack?
5) if you buy a more powerful battery pack, can you still use the original cradle/charger?
6) what about the SL 60? is that an original Streamlight mod, or created?
7) how bright & what is the run time?
8) what kind of battery does that need?

I know, a lot of questions, but like I said, I couldn't find them in the search.

So, any & all input sticking to those 3 lights, would be greatly appreaciated.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stick with the 20x. You can get a battery with 3500mah for around 25 bucks online and top it off with a terralux upgrade and you ought to have good runtime.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Magcharger mods:
1) If you mod the Magcharger with a Malkoff, what is the runtime with the original battery pack?
2) can you run the original battery pack with the Malkoff & still enjoy it to the max?
3) If you buy a more powerful battery pack, can you still use the original maglite cradle/chager?

1) Dunno
2) Probably. Malkoff devices feature pretty impressive regulation.
3) From what I've read, yes - it'll just take longer to charge the beastie, and it may not do charge termination at all (I really do think it's a dumb charger) so you'll need a loooong timer or a hobby charger... Radio Shack is clearing out 6v R/C chargers for NiCd and NiMh for $5, and it shouldn't be too hard to hack some leads to it.