Streamlight Stinger DS LED mod?

prof student

Enlightened
I like the features of the Stinger LED high/med/low/strobe.

But it does seem dim, per say, at 80 lumens.

What kind of mods are out there for this flashlight, that WILL ALSO enable you to still retain the ability to use the different level of lights?

Do any mods as such even exist?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
From the specs, I'd expect it to be a Luxeon III LED, so you can probably swap it out for a current gen LED(the Seoul P4 should work the best) and get double the output.

All the levels should be fine since no mods would have been done to the driver and the LEDs have similar properties.

aubie515

Newly Enlightened
To the OP...how long have you had the Stinger LED and what is the SN? I am curious which switch you have in your light. If you want, I will send you a new switch. You will need to tell me which retainer ring you have in your current light, so I will know what parts you will need.

Give me a buzz from 8AM- 3:30PM M-F 800-523-7488 Ext 8436

prof student

Enlightened
To the OP...how long have you had the Stinger LED and what is the SN? I am curious which switch you have in your light. If you want, I will send you a new switch. You will need to tell me which retainer ring you have in your current light, so I will know what parts you will need.

Give me a buzz from 8AM- 3:30PM M-F 800-523-7488 Ext 8436

Well, I don't have a Stinger DS LED yet. I am thinking about purchasing it b/c I am not too happy with the Stinger XT HP. Too bulky & that one doesnt seem so bright, so I am looking to replace that with something similar.

aubie515

Newly Enlightened
I am not a fan of the XTHP. I also do not find the light very bright and the Ultra head looks silly on a small light.

I think you will be happy with the Stinger DS. We had some issues with it in the past, but I haven't had any come back since installing the current switch.

prof student

Enlightened
I am not a fan of the XTHP. I also do not find the light very bright and the Ultra head looks silly on a small light.

I think you will be happy with the Stinger DS. We had some issues with it in the past, but I haven't had any come back since installing the current switch.

Yeah, the head looks way to big for the light. It also makes it hard to put into a pocket (not as EDC).

What kind of problems did occur with the old switch? If I buy one, how will I know I have the newer one?

aubie515

Newly Enlightened
You won't know because it will depend where you buy the light from. Some distributors could be sitting on old inventories.

A fast way to figure out if you have the latest LED is to remove the face cap. Push down on the LED itself. If it's hard...you have an old LED...if it's soft and flexes, you have the new LED.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
A fast way to figure out if you have the latest LED is to remove the face cap. Push down on the LED itself. If it's hard...you have an old LED...if it's soft and flexes, you have the new LED.

So it sounds like you're recommending on changing the switch assy not because of a new design switch but because the switch assy has the LED attached to it....therefore actually changing the switch assy because of the LED?

Sounds to me like you are describing a luxeon (hard dome) in the old models & a P4 (soft dome) in the new models? So the new Stinger LED comes with a Seoul? :thinking:

TexLite

Enlightened
You won't know because it will depend where you buy the light from. Some distributors could be sitting on old inventories.

I'm curious about this as well,I know some of the new models I have seen have K2's(Stinger LED,SuperTac)

Did they upgrade again?

Michael

NextLight

Enlightened
I like the features of the Stinger LED high/med/low/strobe.

But it does seem dim, per say, at 80 lumens.

What kind of mods are out there for this flashlight, that WILL ALSO enable you to still retain the ability to use the different level of lights?

Do any mods as such even exist?

Here is a pretty good sale price on that light, with both chargers:
http://www.gilbertsguns.com/March+Madness+Specials/Streamlight+Stinger+LED+With+Charger
I have not dealt with the company.

I just bought a Terralux LED upgrade for a Stinger HP. It looks like it can be made to fit a standard Stinger if one drills the reflector, and takes a bench grinder to the Terralux heatsink. I would also require shorting the 0.47 Ohm resistor for direct drive. The Luxeon LED on board mine really wants about 4V at 0.75-.85A at the LED for the published 100 flashlight lumens. It only provides about 10 lumens when one provides 3.6 V nominal with the resistor in place as the Stinger HP provides, and it overheats with the 6.25V of an UltraStinger. (Where it fits without modification, other than temporary removal of the lamp retention spring.The head of an HP or UltraStinger must be unscrewed too far to get proper focus, because the LED tower design is too tall. This problem is far worse in the standard Stinger head.)

The 3.8V max of the stock Stinger battery will not push mine to thermal runaway, even with the resistor shorted. At 3.8V 0.5A direct drive, I am guessing it delivers 50 lumens initial, with 2.5-3 hours to 50%. Modest output, but long life $23 'upgrade' was not really worth it for me. YMMV

Last edited:

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious about this as well,I know some of the new models I have seen have K2's(Stinger LED,SuperTac)

Did they upgrade again?

Michael

I have had a Stinger LED now for about 6-8 months and I am curious also. Streamlight still advertises the light at 80 lumens and 1.75 hours of runtime oh high, so if they did "upgrade" the LED, there is apparently no benefit. I love mine as it is a well made light and does the job for me.

Mike

TexLite

Enlightened
I know for sure they upgraded from the Lux III to the K2,I've had these in hand.(SuperTac,New Stinger LED)

If they upgraded again,from the K2,I dont know.

The Lux III and the K2 both have a hard dome,the Seoul is the only one with the soft silicone dome.The Cree XRE also has a hard dome,the new Lux Jr is supposed to use a Cree XRE P4.

Michael

kc_pig

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know of any Cree assemblies that will fit in either the Scorpion LED or the TL-2?

prof student

Enlightened
I know for sure they upgraded from the Lux III to the K2,I've had these in hand.(SuperTac,New Stinger LED)

If they upgraded again,from the K2,I dont know.

The Lux III and the K2 both have a hard dome,the Seoul is the only one with the soft silicone dome.The Cree XRE also has a hard dome,the new Lux Jr is supposed to use a Cree XRE P4.

Michael

How will I know, or can tell, if I have the newer LED version (K2)? Any idea at what point they switched? (so if the place I am ordering it got their last shipment after a certain date, hopefully it would most likely be the newer one).

What is the difference between the Lux III & the K2?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Depends on which K2 you are speaking of.

The newer TFFC K2s have twice the efficiency of the older K2s. The Luxeon III is around the same efficiency as the older K2. The Cree XR-E higher bin LEDs and Seoul P4 U-bin LEDs will be brighter then the TFFC K2, but the K2 seems to have a warmer tint and better color rendering compared to the Cree and Seoul.

The TFFC K2 will have a 4x4 grid of pits in the LED die. The Older K2 will not have these pits.