Cree Q5 Drop in's on ebay

ryanv

Newly Enlightened
Are they any good? I'm looking at getting something for my brothers G2, but I don't want to spend that much. Are these a good purchase? They run about $20 shipped.....

kramer5150

Flashaholic
It might help if you posted the URL link, perhaps someone else bought the same module. The DX modules are a safe bet IMHO, as long as you don't mind waiting 2-3 weeks for delivery and they are a little cheaper than $20.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Seems pretty similar to this one.

One problem with high power LED drop-ins in a G2 or similar polymer light is heat transmission. Running the light long enough could make the LED overheat and die.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
As Gunner said, the LED could be too hot for polyner's body.

One thing to note is that the advertised 270lms is hyped. Regardless, it's still very bright. Also, I bought an R2 drop in from eBay before, I sold it to another member in a few days, and he said it died in a couple of weeks :thinking: I don't know what happened. So, buy at your own risk. I've heard many members said they're pretty good, so I might have gotten a bad batch or something.

Wattnot

Enlightened
I use the DX 6090 drop in with my G2's. I've still not done a long runtime test with it so I really don't know just how hot it gets but it draws 550ma to 700ma (depending on who's measuring). The ones that will overheat the G2 for sure draw 900ma or more. My theory is that the 6090 will work better in the G2 Nitrolon because of this (others have said the same).

Of course if you don't mind spending more, put a Malkoff M60L or M60LL in there.

Neverready

Newly Enlightened
I have purchased 5 of the LED drop in's from Goldenpsx on Ebay and have never had a problem with them. He sells them for less than $20.00 shipped. They seem to be good quality, nice centered LED's with aluminum reflectors. I have put them in my Surefire 6p and 9p and a couple of Cabelas lights. Best bargain around now is the Cabelas light in the bargain cave that comes with a good quality knife and a light that you can drop a LED in for $20.00. For $40.00 you end up with a good quality light, folding knife and a light beam that is as good as a Surefire with a drop in. Shipping from Goldenpsx is only a couple of days, he is in California and shipping is only a couple of bucks. He is a good Ebayer and will back up his products.