New flashlight fiend needs help for first ....

gbreckley

Newly Enlightened
"Real Flashlight" purchase. I have convinced my fiance it is ok for me to spend around $50 on a flashlight. I am just starting my collection and have nothing more than several maglights. My eyes have been opened in the past couple weeks to all the really good lights there are.

I am going to ease into this (mainly for my fiances sake) I am hoping when the thing shows up, she will see the light (pun intended). With $50 to spend I am considering several lights which I would be able to carry on my person at all times.

I have narrowed it to three.

Pelican M6
Streamlight Scorpion
Sure Fire G2

Or should I spend a little extra and jump right to the Sure Fire 6P?

Am I right in my research that all of these lights are the right size to carry in ones pockets or brief case? Roughly the size of (or slightly larger than) a Maglight AA.

What are the differences of the characteristics of these lights that I should be aware of before making my decision. Any help from any of you out there who have been baptised by the light would be greatly appreciated.

Greg

gbreckley

Newly Enlightened
After more searching of this forum and reading firestarters similar thread I have revised my list of posibilities to read like this

Pelican M6
Sure Fire E2
Sure Fire 69

with

Streamlight Scorpion
Sure Fire G2

as secondary (backups?)

Any thoughts is this the right grouping? Are the first three lights in the same class? Having never handled one of these fine pieces of machinery I am not sure.

HELP! I want one now

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefires: modest starting cost, but, will cost alot of money in bulbs and batteries. Bulbs aren't cheap for surefires, though for the moment, batteries are fairly cheap (bulk purchase of surefire 123s).

A good choice to add to your options, is a Lightwave 3000: 7 white LEDs and uses 3C batteries. Long runtime, too.

All of your stated choices are excellent lights. just don't rule out LED lights as NOT real.

Those high lumen, short runtime lights, I like to call "Testosterone Powered purchases." (aka Male Ego)

The LW3000 is a low maintainence, decently bright light with very decent runtime. I have an LW4000: 10 LEDs and 3D. Much brighter than you may think.

Think about your needs: do the testosterone lights fit your needs (and budget down the line)??? If so, go for it. If not, then rethink your options. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
What's this thing about SureFire bulbs being expensive?!
How many and how often are you buying them?
SF123As current price is not a sale. That is the price - $15 for 12 SF123As.

I urge you to consider the E2e-HA. For somebody starting out, the E2e is the smallest coolest flashlight.

You have the option right now of the KL1 1 Watt Luxeon Bezel. SureFire have a 5 Watt Luxeon Bezel in the pipe as well as a Clickie TailCap.

The KL1's may also come out in green like the L1.

The runtime on the MN03 bulb for the E2e is longer than the larger two 123A models. There is also the MN02 bulb for longer runtime still.

The 6P in my opinion is useful as a base to build more powerful models. Investment to do this will be something to budget for though.

The Pelican M6 has not yet been field-proven for long enough and interest in it here at CPF has died.

The Scorpion is just one of the SureFire copies which has been around a while too. Some say it's a good flashlight. I'm not impressed with it and haven't wasted my money on one.

If you get yourself an SureFire E2e-HA now, you won't have to get yourself one for the KL4 you are bound to want when it is released!

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I consider those to be to large for pocket carry and would classify them as belt carry. If you are looking for a packet carry light I would say the E2e is the best light out there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go with an E2e, and ask for a KL1 1 watt LS head and a MN02 25 lumen bulb for Christmas. It is a very compact, bright, tough and reliable light that is very very hard to beat for EDC.

For Christmas next year ask for a KL4 5 watt LS head! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
The Scorpion is just one of the SureFire copies which has been around a while too.

[/ QUOTE ]

You all crack me up sometimes... Similar form and function but definately not a copy. The Scorpion is a great little light and solid competion for the Surefires. Focusable so you don't need to add the cost of an additional "beamshaper" like you do with SF for close work, and has always had a clickie tailcap that SF only has for some lights as an additional cost/accessory.

I'm glad I didn't "waste" my money on an $84 6P, $20 beamshaper, and $37 clickie tailcap (total $141) and instead got the same funtionality from a $35 Scorpion and was able to buy a LOT of batteries with money left over...

If he's only got $50 to spend, an E2 or E2e is obviously out of the price range. IF you can swing the extra cost, they are, as Al said, the coolest little lights out there.

My recommendation: Go with a Scorpion or SF G2. Both are great high intensity "starter" lights and may very well be enough that you never want to step up to the higher priced ones. My wife likes the G2 and I like the Scorpion. You'll be happy with either one and they'll provide as great examples of the "better" lighting technology out there for the fiancé.

Buy the batteries in bulk from Surefire.com, regardless of which you get. The price is very good right now.

Francois1

Newly Enlightened
One question to Al: do you buy your cr123's directly from surefire ? I thought they didn't ship overseas.
If not, I'd like to know were you buy them.

François.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with Quickbeam on the Scorpion. It's a great light in it's on right. I LOVE the flood adjustment; it is extremely useful. The rubber covering makes it comfortable to carry and use.

And it comes with a spare bulb. Take THAT Surefire.

Empath

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
The Pelican M6 has not yet been field-proven for long enough and interest in it here at CPF has died.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. I think there's an M6 in my future. As far as interest dying, I just ran a quick search for the term "M6" of just this forum. In the last week there were twenty-six references.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any light using 123 lithium batteries could be called a Surefire copycat as they where the first to do so. The fact that the Scorpion comes with a spare bulb is not as big a bonus as one would think considering that there stated lamp life is 3-5 hours and SF's in 20-30 hours so this means the Scorpion comes with 1/4 to 1/10 the lamp life that the G2 does. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't get me wrong I own two Scorpions and they do have there uses. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greg,

What do you want? All your choices are good, and I bet that everyone here could recommend about 50-100 other choices too!

What do you want to use the light for?

EDC?
Walking the dog?
Hiking at night?
Romantic walks with your fiance (not being funny - actually serious)?
Emergency useage?
For power outages?

There are Different lights for different situations.

Tell us more about what you want.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i suggest the E2e, sf's best 2 cell light. options now and more in the pipe.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Any light using 123 lithium batteries could be called a Surefire copycat as they where the first to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that kind of "pushing it" a bit? Following that logic the Princeton Tec Eclipse is a copycat of the Photon. Different switch, different bodies, different lighting capabilities, but they both use 1 LED and 2 coin cells so by that definition, it's a copycat...

The "stated" bulb life of the Scorpion is 1/4 that of the Surefire, and the bulbs cost 1/4 as much... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The Scorpion bulb could very well last just as long as the Surefire bulb. Regardless, it still does carry a spare bulb in the light if you need it, unlike the Surefires which require that you carry something additional and separate in your pouch/pocket if you want to have a spare lamp close by. Especially handy in case you drop the light and *pop*!

Sorry - and now back to your regularly scheduled conversation. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

gbreckley

Newly Enlightened
I really appreciate all your input and help, I sent this post off before I went to bed last night and I wake up this morning BAM!!! 14 replies. This is one of the most active forums I have been in in a while besides HardOCP.com I think.

I Think I am leaning towards the e2 maybe the e2e is Texas Tactical the best place to buy? They are the best price I have seen and I am in California so shipping shouldn't take to long. Is there somewhere better to buy? And should I buy the Sure Fire Batteries there or from Sure Fire?

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Empath said:
I think there's an M6 in my future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Email me and I will make you a very nice deal on a silver one LNIB with packaging and a couple of spare bulbs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

gbreckley

Newly Enlightened
BuddTX

I am looking for an everyday carry. (I have not thrown out LED but I am not familiar enough to know how it suits my needs) I would like something pretty bright with moderatly wide beam. I was thinking if I got the E2e and the 25 lumen output bulb with longer life it would suit my daily needs. I am an It supervisor so I always have my head in a computer and often find myself crawling in crawl spaces running wire. Till now I have been using the AA Mag and thought it was sufficient but my eyes have been opened by this site.

If there is a good LED alternative which may be the E2 with the K1 I believe it is I am open to that, I have kinda set the $50 budget aside and want to get what is right for me without out spending an ungodly amount of money.

Size15's

Flashaholic
To find out about Dealers please post in the Cheers'N'Jeers Forum.

Some SureFire Dealers will now match SureFire's $15 for 12 SF123A price. I guess it was a case of selling stock and ordering in new stock at the new price...

The Scorpion has different features to SureFire's models. It's not designed to be what a SureFire is - the P60 Lamp is designed to be interchangeable with your WeaponLight's P60 (back in those days when that was all there was)

If you need a beam that can defocus then the Scorpion is a good choice. Defocusing flashlights wind me up because they never seem to be focused when I need them. Personal experience.

Where do I as a Brit get my SF123As?
There is nothing to stop a friend in the USA forwarding on stuff. You've got to pay shipping anyway and factor that into your cost along with the price of getting caught by HM Customs.

I've also recently visited the USA and picked up another SF72BB so I'm sorted for a couple months.

When you get a Scorpion, you get a Scorpion and that's it.

When you get a SureFire like the E2e, you have options get accessories. I like options.

Al

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you would be very happy with the E2E and a KL1 or the soon to be released KL4. A little more expensive but no need to upgrade or ever wonder what the next step up in quality would be like. I usually go for the ultimate that fills neccessity right off the bat and buy other lights out of curiosity rather than neccessity. Such was the case with my C2 and M3 I knew what needs I wanted to fill for the C2 I wanted a bright everyday carry that fit my size and had adequate accessories ( lamp choices, accessory bezel choices, LED bezel and filter choices etc. multiple carry options and common consumables with my G2 emergency kit lights) For the M3 I wanted an extremely bright home defense/emergency light with the same type of accessory base available as my other Surefires. I wanted a small backup LED so I purchased an Arc AAA LE and am extremely happy with all three. I now want a bright medium sized LED to compliment the other EDC lights I use so I opted for an Arc LSH-P that should be here in a day or so. That is more of a luxury purchase as I have already covered my three main requirements. I may eventually get a KL3 bezel but am waiting to see what SF comes up with this year. And I am looking forward to Arc's release of the LS4 in october as everyone has been buzzing about it. Any how I say fill your intial requirements first with the highest quality light you can buy (no regrets/need to upgrade later). Seeing as the E2e just keeps going as SF's #1 seller I would think they will continue the stream of accessories that keep showing up for this light. I don't think you could go wrong there. Surefire's customer service/technical support and web services are great and they have just overcome the most prominent economical argument against them with the intro of new low pricing on the best quality Lithium 123's on the market. Good Luck and enjoy!!!

Later,
TSG