Free range and organic produce in NYC

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, my wife has been asked to work in NYC or about 25 miles North of the city for about five month. We would like to know if there are any outlets that can sell free-range meat and organic fruit and vegetables in or near these parts. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.....

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Your going to have to be a lot more specific than that - NYC is a BIG place. If I were to tell you about an organic/free range place in say the Bayside Area, and you lived in say Coney Island, it would for all intents be useless for you (or worse, you lived in Staten Island) - to give you an idea, it would take me 90+ minutes on an average day to make the far end of Staten Island

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
That said - my local food stores almost all have at least some organic veggies (some). If your living 25 miles NORTH of NYC, you are starting to get into the areas of local farm stands (but not as many as there used to be). Free Range chicken is fairly common at the better markets.

Honest? You best bet is once you get here, and find out exactly where you are living is to dive around, and/or ask your neighbors

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
im thinking something like wholefoods which is a nutritional supermarket but the closest according to store locator is in manhattan which is still a good journey 25 miles for food

shes gotta at least try a dirty water dog "hotdog" and pizza :grin2:

Last edited:

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
I've got a wholefoods fairly close. Lokk for Trader Joes, and you will probably find a lot of small local places - which town are you talking about?

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
25 miles north of nyc so figure something in manhattan would be closest like union sq, or houston street downtown as store locator pointed out to...trader joes looks good ...figure somewhere in whiteplains area

Last edited:

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
25 miles north of nyc so figure something in manhattan would be closest like union sq, or houston street downtown as store locator pointed out to...trader joes looks good ...figure somewhere in whiteplains area

Just got up......yeah, somewhere between Irvington and White Plains is where we will live and work.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you have the address to where your gonna live check this out live map ..close the out the search sidebar to get big map view and then check out your new house and click on birds eye view to see the neighborhood, you can pan it 360 on left tool bar...even go to google earth and zoom into nyc then under business search wholesale foods and trader joes to see locations , though there plenty of other supermarkets around so you should find a lot when you come here in person

Last edited:

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Just got up......yeah, somewhere between Irvington and White Plains is where we will live and work.

OK, I'll ask a co-worker who lives up that way.

Like I said, you'll probably find a stack of small "One store" markets that fit what you want once you move there. Fort instance I have a local place "Bayside Milk Barn" - Free range chicken, nice fruits and veggies (about 1/2 are organic) etc - but it's one store, and small. There is another fruit and Veggie guy 2 blocks away. Sometimes one guy is better, sometimes the other. There are still TONS of "Mom and Pops" around, and they often better than the big places

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the area we will be in, it looks like Trader Joes and Mrs Green are on the same road and not far apart, while Whole Foods is within walking distance......thanks for that info.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
NYC is the only place in the world I know of that I can say with reasonable certainty: You can get ANYTHING there.

25 miles north of the city is another world compared to Manhattan itself.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
NYC is the only place in the world I know of that I can say with reasonable certainty: You can get ANYTHING there.

25 miles north of the city is another world compared to Manhattan itself.

Try and find a good hobby shop (they all closed - 1 or 2 left, and they are not 'good') No real good industrial supply houses any more - they all moved out - FedEx/The Internet/Mail Order killed a lot of stuff that used to be in Manhattan