Rotary Adjustable Tailcap - Waddya Think?

abuhannibal

Newly Enlightened
I just came across this on ebay, the guy says he can do tailcaps for Surefires and many other lights:

http://tinyurl.com/6ftmsx

I would much rather see a version of SF's twisty tailcap where twisting the tailcap itself varies output... and also, coming from an electronics background, I know that potentiometers (he must have stuck a small pancake pot in there somehow) are not the most reliable devices on earth. But for a home flashlight, his idea still kind of appreals to me - it looks like a kludge, admittedly, but it would be a simple and effective solution, if it works.

Has anybody tried one? Anyone want to try to talk me into or out of it? One thing I can think of is that dropping the light directly onto the knob would very likely bend the potentiometer shaft. (And break the knob, but that's easy to replace.)

I do not know the seller or anything about the product beyond what it says on the page.

Thanks for your thoughts!

-- Bob

MedusaOblongata

Newly Enlightened
Once it's refined, reliable, and small, I think it would be the ultimate UI. Click for on/off, twist to adjust brightness. Last used setting would automatically be remembered, and you can adjust brightness before turning it on. You can buy a drop-in for a wall light switch at any hardware store for $5. I'm surprised the flashlight industry hasn't caught on yet. The electronics aren't that complicated.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
guys did you notice that the guys also sells a Surefire and Romisen RC-F4 compatible switches???

abuhannibal

Newly Enlightened
Kospap,

Yeah, that's what sparked my interest. I sent the seller a note yesterday asking if the Surefire tailcaps were available yet - so far, no reply. I'll let everyone know what he says if he gets back to me.

-- Bob

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always wondered why the flashlights don';t have a potentiometer so that you can adjust them infinitely but I always thought there was a reason for it. Ie, not good for the led's or something.

Good idea but too obtrusive. Something slimmer/lower.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Some of the problems with a potmeter are:

Sealing it water tight is a problem.

Efficiency will go down, except if it is build together with the driver.

Try using a driver with constant output level, without building it together with the potmeter :whistle:

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far the Gatlight has my favorite potentiometer-type switch. It's a rear forward clicky in the middle of a brightness control knob. Unfortunately the light is way to expensive for me to buy and use, but that's another story.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once it's refined, reliable, and small, I think it would be the ultimate UI. Click for on/off, twist to adjust brightness. Last used setting would automatically be remembered, and you can adjust brightness before turning it on. You can buy a drop-in for a wall light switch at any hardware store for $5. I'm surprised the flashlight industry hasn't caught on yet. The electronics aren't that complicated.

Actually, Brinkmann has a couple at Target kinda like that.

One uses a dimmer wheel in place of a power switch, though, and I think both were Cree... Pretty good for mass market.

But yeah - I remember suggesting a clicky be added to the Ra Twisty to make it perfect. Three clicks for brightness, and one for lockout - it'd be perfect.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
But yeah - I remember suggesting a clicky be added to the Ra Twisty to make it perfect. Three clicks for brightness, and one for lockout - it'd be perfect.

It would indeed be perfect. I know this is probably the hundredth time I've said this, but I really like the ability to select levels before turning the light on. Add that to the Ra Twisty form, which I like, and that's a winning light.

Fird

Enlightened
Amen, the UI i've been waiting for. It needs to be a pot connected to the driver circuit to tell it how hard to drive the LED (PWM duty cycle) instead of directly in series with it. That way efficiency can be maintained and you don't need a great big expensive pot to handle the 1000ma+ of current.

Fird