Which would be better, UX1J or SV1H in an old Arc LS?

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm modding an old Arc LS once again and have already bumped the current to 500mA, put in a McGizmo reflector, and a UCL lens. At this current which Luxeon would be better the UX1J or SV1H?

I have another Arc I'll probably mod with a SSC at some point but with this one I'd like to keep it a Luxeon.

Thanks for the help.
-LT

Edit: After closer inspection I may not have a choice. It seems the black packaging on the SV1H is closer in height to the old Arc LED. The UX1J looks like it uses a shorter package with a PCB to bump the height. Any ideas?

img1492smallwd8.jpg

Last edited:

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I kept a Luxeon in one of my Arcs too. I have two Arcs with McR-18 reflectors. I definitely like the beam of the Lux with the McR-18 over the P4 with the McR-18S but the P4 wins in brightness. Both are driven at 611ma. I've driven Arcs at many different levels & 611ma is my favorite.

The one with the Lux has a TWOH in it. I swapped it out for a UXIJ but it actually looked dimmer. I put the TWOH back in there & it defintely has a nicer output? Maybe it's Luxeon lottery or the lower vf is making a difference?

The UX1J you have should be the same height as the SV1H you have. It just looks that way cause the UX1J is mounted on a LuxIII/LuxV type star since it's a LuxIII. Because the UX1J has a seperate PCB it's recessed. Since the SV1H is mounted on a LuxI type star I'm assuming it a S bin LuxI rather than a S bin LuxIII. Not sure if there's really a difference, if you know what I mean, but maybe the SV1H just might be better over the UX1J at 500ma?

Since the UX1J is mounted on a LuxIII/LuxV star, you may just have to go with the SV1H. Luxeons that are mounted on the LuxIII/LuxV stars use a different lead configuration which is different from the configuration used on LuxI stars, bare emitters, & the Arc board. Look closely & you'll see what I mean. But it's doable

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
My money is on the SV1H being brighter.

Heres my reasoning the H vf is lower. The S-bin is binned at 350mA while the Ubin is binned at 700mAh. You're not driving it at 700mA so you won't get the lowest range of the U-bin but you're driving more than 350mA so you'll get more than the highest S-bin range.

Back in the craze of the Lux days it's even rumored that Ubins were just Sbins but under a different binning.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would vote for the SV1H based on the excellent V1 tint and longer runtime from the lower Vf.