Should I buy Zebra H30 or wait for AA version?

mega_lumens

Enlightened
I will be needing a good headlamp soon. I like the H30 very much but I was curious how the AA version will perform. If the new AA version of H30 will have as equal time and output, I will hold off. Th reason is that AAs are much easier to find, but if someone knows that AA version won't be able to produce the time and output similar to H30, then I will buy the H30. Since the H50 has been pumping out good lots of lumens and time on AA, I think that Zebra Lights will be able to produce same results for H30 in AA???

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I couldn't wait out for that long, so I got the H30.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy what best suits your needs right now. If you get lucky and they do produce your dream light you may always buy it and sell the old one -- as long as it's has quality and is useful.

I've been 'too clever by half' at least a few times waiting on lights that never materialized for one reason or another when I'd have been much better off just buying -- life is just too short.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recommend you get the H30. Later if you want the AA version, you can sell it for just a few bucks less than what you got it for.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say it depends on how much you want to standardize on AA batteries.

As for me, I'll wait. Trying to keep as many of my lights on AA as possible.

__philippe

Enlightened
How about the H50-Q5 AA version ?
(Zebralight's site is sold out, FenixStore has some in stock.)

Cheers,

__philippe

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will be needing a good headlamp soon. I like the H30 very much but I was curious how the AA version will perform. If the new AA version of H30 will have as equal time and output, I will hold off. Th reason is that AAs are much easier to find, but if someone knows that AA version won't be able to produce the time and output similar to H30, then I will buy the H30. Since the H50 has been pumping out good lots of lumens and time on AA, I think that Zebra Lights will be able to produce same results for H30 in AA???
I had the same decision to make as you. I opted for the H30 because I needed it now and I'm so impressed that I'm sure that I'll be making other purchases as new models become available.

I chose the H30 over the current AA model because of the 80° beam and I wanted a switch. Had the choice been between the H30 and the H501 (the same light in AA), I would have chosen the AA because of the cell choice. I'm glad that I was 'forced' to get the H30 because of its size. I'm using rechargeables and some primaries because I've only got one R123, but I've just ordered more from AW, so I'll be using rechargeables exclusively.

I haven't done run time tests yet. Unfortunately most of my use is on high. My aging eyes need much more light than they used to. One thing I've noticed is that it produces such a useful, non interfering, non traditional beam, that you sometimes forget that you're using a light. It's also the most comfortable headlight that I've used.

Not knowing how long it'll be before the H501 is available, I'd advise you to get the H30 - I can't imagine someone being disappointed with this light.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because of a pressing need, daughter going to Zambia, I ordered the H50. Awesome light in many ways, but the beamwidth is just way too wide! So, either wait for the H501 or deal with multiple battery types and get the H30. Then again, that's just 2 cents.

copperfox

Enlightened
When will the new AA zebralight be out (or is there a thread about it I should be aware of)?

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
I love the H50 AA I have now. I especially like the wide flood that illuminates everything my eyes can see.

But I am also one who tries to standardize my gear to AA rechargeables if at all possible.

pobox1475

Enlightened
standardize my gear to AA rechargeables if at all possible.
From an overall performance stand point, which is better. H50-Q5 ZebraLight loaded with AA Eneloop or a H30-Q5 with an AW R-CR123?

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suspect some of the answer depends on which setting you'll be using. One of the EE gurus will have to do the math. My guess is that the AA will run longer, but the R-123 will have more output.

RGB_LED

Enlightened
I suspect some of the answer depends on which setting you'll be using. One of the EE gurus will have to do the math. My guess is that the AA will run longer, but the R-123 will have more output.
I just ran a search for the H30 runtimes and there currently aren't any that I could find. I did find this thread on selfbuilt's excellent review of the H5-Q5 and he indicates that it will run 2hrs+ with rechargeable NiMh batteries (Sweet!).

+5! I have both the H50 and H30 but now I want to check out the H501 and the 18650 version just to see which of the models I like the most. I haven't decided between the H50 and H30 as yet since I only just received the H30 today. Time will tell...

Patriot

Flashaholic
I actually like the H30 form factor even better than the H50. I didn't think that I would but now that I've owned both for a while I like the stubby little light. It's one of my most often used lights now.

sclemin1

Newly Enlightened
I'm really liking the H30 but it's a 1st headlight for me.
I use it to work in dimly lit data center computer cabinets.
The medium setting works for me just right in that environment.
I stock up on primary 123's from the Fenix store, don't know why those batteries are so expensive at local stores.

I would have purchased a AA version if it had a push button but I have no regrets with the H30, very happy with it.