Portable LED desk lamp

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there!

These days I'm studying very hard for the upcoming exams (the next 3 weeks). I sometimes love to study during the night, especially when it's very hot during the day. Then the temperatures are better during the night, it's very silent, yet very dark. A few days ago I was playing with a Maglite and started to think about making a portable LED desk lamp to take with me while studying in the garden during the night. 2 hours later a new baby was born, shining bright in the darkness :)

Portable LED desk lamp :
  • portable : take it anywhere and it will stand on every flat surface
  • flexible : the locline stalk is flexible so you can aim the light in any direction you want
  • based on 2 Maglite 2D flashlights
  • featuring 4 Cree XR-E warm white LEDs, high efficiency and nice warm white color
  • 2 switches on the head : one to switch on/off and another to switch between low and high mode
  • running on 9 AA batteries, preferably NiMH but alkalines work fine as well
  • high-efficiency driver circuit with constant current output of 380 mA to each LED
  • custom heatsink to improve heat dissipation from the LEDs
  • glass lens
  • 2 modes : high (4 LEDs) and low (2 LEDs)
  • brightness : estimated 360 lumen on high, 180 lumen on low
  • long runtime : full output for 4* hours (high mode) or 8* hour (low mode), many more hours of decreased output (* = based on 2000 mAh NiMH AA)

Now some pictures! All pictures are clickable to see the full size image.

The portable LED desk lamp :

Comparison of beamshots (note : all shots were taken at the same manual setting on the digital camera) :

I actually never planned this project. It popped up in my mind and I started working on it. Barely 2 hours later it was ready and I went studying outside with it. Overall I'm very satisfied with this lamp. Color rendering is very good, long runtimes and a surprisingly high light output. I used Cree XR-E warm white P4-bin (color temperature 3000-3200 K) and I might consider to do another group buy on these since warm white LEDs open a whole new world of LED projects!

Please feel free to share your thoughts and other ideas for more projects with warm white LEDs :)

Thanks!
Erasmus

Last edited:

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Very very cool! I absolutely love the creativity! Nice job! :twothumbs

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are some more pictures to make things more clear:

Edited the beamshot picture to make the brightness difference clear :

Edited some more to compare the high output mode to the 35W halogen lamp :

The total input power is the power that is drawn from the energy source, not the power going to the light. So all driver inefficacies are included in the ratings.

ambientmind

Enlightened
very cool light! where did you get the warm white crees? i need to get some.

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the nice comments, really appreciate it :) I've been through several charges now and some severe testing of the locline (to see whether the wires will break during extensive bending), testing of waterproofness (looks like raining season over here) and testing during any practical use it can be used for. So far it's proved to be an amazingly handy (flood)flashlight!

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
very cool light! where did you get the warm white crees? i need to get some.
I got some of these for a group buy a time ago (January) but sold everything to a project of a fellow CPF'er. I'm planning to do a new group buy, end of June maybe.

J.McDonald Knives

Newly Enlightened
Looks great man. You thought about making a wider base for it so it doesn't get knocked over easily and make it more stable on uneven surfaces? Also I want one!!!!

1 what

Enlightened
+1 for the Base!:twothumbs.
I can remember studying and finding all sorts of things that I simply had to do first but in your case you actually did something worthwhile...not sure that's permitted. Good luck with the exams.

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks great man. You thought about making a wider base for it so it doesn't get knocked over easily and make it more stable on uneven surfaces? Also I want one!!!!
Yes I thought about this, the design will be improved after my exams, I'm even considering building 10 of these lights for CPF members, if there's interest.

Improvements make it possible to attach the flashlight either to a tripod or to a custom made base to improve the stability.

J.McDonald Knives

Newly Enlightened
Just an idea, Next one you make you could use a 3 cell D and then cut off enough to make base for 2 batteries and use the rest for the lamp head. Save you a little money and would make it nicer looking IMHO. Just my $0.02.

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just an idea, Next one you make you could use a 3 cell D and then cut off enough to make base for 2 batteries and use the rest for the lamp head. Save you a little money and would make it nicer looking IMHO. Just my $0.02.
Thanks for the good idea :) I'll consider it for the next, although I like this one more because the head gives a lot of stability on flat surfaces, even without an extra base.

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great idea. Students are sure smart these days. I like the two switch idea also.
Thanks :) The dual switch system is really handy, can save you some runtime when you need it while remaining a very decent light output.

J.McDonald Knives

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the good idea :) I'll consider it for the next, although I like this one more because the head gives a lot of stability on flat surfaces, even without an extra base.

You could also make a wider base that looks like m*g lite head. Make it almost like a no-spill coffee mug if you know what I mean.