Tigerlight: Detailed Charging info from Randy Teig

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Email 4/8/03 Posted with permission

(Brightnorm),

Eric wanted me to contact you on this issue. As I have posted in the past. I keep my light charging 24/7 I use the light nearly every day. We charge C/10 which is a light overcharge.

You are correct, heat is the enemy of all rechargeable batteries. The ideal situation is to remove the flashlight after 10 hours of charging. Use the light and charge it 10 times longer than you use it then remove it. Additionally, the battery self discharges at a rate of 1.5 to 2% per day.

It is not realistic to pay that close attention to the charging cycle. What I have recommendedj to Officers that I work with is that they leave it on the charger continuously during their work week and take it off the charger on their days of and vacation, unless they are using it.

I am not really concerned with our customers leaving the light on the charge, if the power p[ack were to fail during the warranty period do to continuous charging, we are happy to replace the battery. To date, I do not think that we have had to replace any batteries. The only real NO NO is over discharging. Always turn the light off when it starts to dim.

I hope this was helpful

Randy Teig

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very helpful! I have often wondered because my TL didn't come with a manual/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I have my TL charger on my computer speaker and printer surge suppressor. I turn on my speakers every second or third night for a couple of hours for something I want to hear or to play a game. I use the light about 15-30 minutes a week on average. If I ever use the light for more than 30 minutes at one time I leave the speakers on and TL charging all night. It makes my recharging pretty brainless which is what I need. It feels like it it's a good way to keep it charged but not have it charging all the time. Maybe my short charging times are hurting me, I don't know.

Any thoughts?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
DieselDave said:
..... If I ever use the light for more than 30 minutes at one time I leave the speakers on and TL charging all night. It makes my recharging pretty brainless which is what I need. It feels like it it's a good way to keep it charged but not have it charging all the time. Maybe my short charging times are hurting me, I don't know.

Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dave,

I don't understand how charging all night is a short charging time.

Brightnorm

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think he means the two hours every 2 or 3 days that he has it charging whenever he uses his speakers.

Latest posts