Topomart        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just got my Fenix L2D Q5

Exclamation Just got my Fenix L2D Q5

Oh my goodness! This was given to me as a graduation present from my friends, and I cannot express just how delighted I am to have received this light!

The pictures did not accurately reflect how big this thing actually is -- I had to hold it in my hand to realize how compact this light actually is. Because I'm used to long periods of no electricity from hurricanes, I've used all sorts of conventional krypton-bulb containing flashlights that use the large D cell batteries and the even larger 6V lantern battery. I'm so used to the light levels dropping immediately, having many artifacts in the beam pattern, and replacing the battery very often.

This light is amaaaaazing! It's so bright! I can't believe that the low mode is as bright as the output of some of the D-cell using flashlights -- and on top of that, a rated 55 hour output -- as compared to 5-6 hours of steadily decreasing output in my past lights. They've really come a long way in terms of advancements in LED technology.

My only question is why the light seems to emit a very high-pitched and sustained squealing sound whenever I switch it on into turbo-mode. Any takers?

Default Re: Just got my Fenix L2D Q5

Welcome to CPF,

Good choice,
    I use mime all the time as my main work light,

Yep, i've got one, too !

Mine is the "lowly" P4-bin, original model,

and it's GREAT !

(said in my best Tony-the-Tiger imitation)

Really handy how the Low-mode is plenty bright and useful
    for so many things.

And, even on plain ol' Alkalines, it'll last for more than Two Days ! ! !

Oh, by the way . . . .

Congratulations on yer' Graduation !

_

Couldn't help but notice your screen name was "Tennis Player".

I'm an avid player too and always carry my L2D Q5 with me onto the courts when I'm playing near sundown. After playing till the lights go off, isn't it great to whip out the L2D and share some lumens with everyone who needs to find loose balls and stuff under the bench?

I think I've used my torches on the court more anywhere else! (besides around the house).

Just had to share that pleasure with someone else who probably does the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by tennisplyr3 View Post
    My only question is why the light seems to emit a very high-pitched and sustained squealing sound whenever I switch it on into turbo-mode. Any takers?
    Looks like this will be common issue with new Fenixes
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=199092

Welcome to CPF. The L2D Q5 is simply awesome.
    Mini split rings for attaching lanyard trick. D10 DIY diffuser trick.

Quote Originally Posted by jirik_cz View Post
    Looks like this will be common issue with new Fenixes
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=199092
    It's a common issue with many high power flashlights, inherent to the boost circuit. MagLite sometimes does it too.

I know, even my friend's 380$ Wolf-Eyes Storm make humming noise. But so far Fenix was noise free.

Mine L2D's are quiet but some of my other lights have made that high pitched noise.

Now you need the forward-clicky from Fenix-Store. Makes it great!!

Congratulations!

Fenix L2D Q5 is the best 2xAA, in my opinion!

I love mine... and it doesn´t make any noise.

Enjoy your little light!

"I LOVE THE SMELL OF LITHIUM BATTERIES IN THE MORNING..." - Kilgore

Flashaholic*

My L2D makes a distinct noise on turbo, though it comes from the tailcap, not the head where the boost circuit is located.

Apart from that, it's a great light! Enjoy
    Last edited by Jarl; 06-02-2008 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarl View Post
    My L2D makes a distinct noise on turbo, though it comes from the tailcap, not the head where the boost circuit is located.

The sound is easiest to hear through the thinner rubber boot at the tailcap. It actually is coming from the head.

Quote Originally Posted by Marduke View Post
    The sound is easiest to hear through the thinner rubber boot at the tailcap. It actually is coming from the head.
    Thanks for clearing things up. I was hearing the high-pitched sound from both the tail and the head regions.

I'm glad you like the light!

As for the sound, it is probably from the circuit in the light. Does it change pitch with different modes?

Anyone know if the newer Fenix light use PWM?(I hope not)

My L2D100 doesn't make the noise, but my L1Tv2rb80 in a 2xAA config does. Very low though, I need to bring it next to my ear to hear it. Sometimes tapping it against my palm will cause it to go away, which makes me think it's just something "loose" reacting to the boost circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner12 View Post
    I'm glad you like the light!

As for the sound, it is probably from the circuit in the light. Does it change pitch with different modes?

Anyone know if the newer Fenix light use PWM?(I hope not)

Only the LOD uses PWM for constant on modes (others use only for strobe and SOS)

i only experienced a whining screeching noise once with one of my lights and it was when i used an old battery that was 10 years old, when i put one in that new it was fine, just my 2 cents

I have 3 L2D/L1D's and none of them makes any noise at any level. The only noisy flashligh I have is the L0D. That horrible pwm noise.

Haha, I'll admit that I haven't taken it to the tennis courts just yet. That would be a good idea if I play at night though.

I'm using Energizer Rechargeable 2500 mAh 1.2V NiMH batteries. Maybe that has something to do with it? I currently don't have any AA's on me besides these.

And it's only when it's in turbo mode or strobe mode that it emits a high frequency whine.

I was thinking about ordering some new rechargeable batteries (w/ a charger) for this light. Does anyone have any recommendations? I think I've read about Eneloops or something? Any idea where to buy from/coupon codes/etc?

Flashaholic*

The noise is most probably coming from the tailcap,Fenix does pot their inductors with red goo.I have never had one hum in the head,but I have had different ones squeal in the tailcap.Probably poor contact.

I was trying different tailcaps on an L1T v2.0 modded with XRE R2 and RV7 driver,a v1 forward clickie was the worst,I dont think the tailcap would have lived long in that application.The RV7 driver can pull close to 3amps from a NiMH,which exagggerates any weakness in the switch.On turbo you are probably putting around 1.3 0r 1.4 amps through the switch,which shouldn't be a problem.I would make sure my connections were tight and watch closely for any flicker.If you have any deoxit/progold take the cap apart and put in a couple of drops.

On that L1T/R2/RV7 I currently have a switch modded with solder wick that is performing well so far,its a real screamer for 1AA.Some of the switches I have opened up have been VERY poorly centered,they have required de-soldering,breaking the thermal adhesive,then recentering.YMMV.

You cant go wrong with the Eneloop's,you might be able to pick up the four pack with charger up at Wallyworld.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by TexLite View Post
    The noise is most probably coming from the tailcap,Fenix does pot their inductors with red goo.I have never had one hum in the head,but I have had different ones squeal in the tailcap.Probably poor contact.

I was trying different tailcaps on an L1T v2.0 modded with XRE R2 and RV7 driver,a v1 forward clickie was the worst,I dont think the tailcap would have lived long in that application.The RV7 driver can pull close to 3amps from a NiMH,which exagggerates any weakness in the switch.On turbo you are probably putting around 1.3 0r 1.4 amps through the switch,which shouldn't be a problem.I would make sure my connections were tight and watch closely for any flicker.If you have any deoxit/progold take the cap apart and put in a couple of drops.

On that L1T/R2/RV7 I currently have a switch modded with solder wick that is performing well so far,its a real screamer for 1AA.Some of the switches I have opened up have been VERY poorly centered,they have required de-soldering,breaking the thermal adhesive,then recentering.YMMV.

You cant go wrong with the Eneloop's,you might be able to pick up the four pack with charger up at Wallyworld.

Michael

Remove the switch entirely and short the back end. Listen what happens to the noise then. I bet it gets much louder. It's not the tailcap making the noise, it's just the easiest place to hear it.

Only the LOD uses PWM for constant on modes (others use only for strobe and SOS)
    That's what I though, though I wanted to make sure.

Maybe you light isn't as well potted or the potting compound isn't placed in the right place.

So what is the problem -- if there is any at all? Is it the batteries? Or is it the circuitry? Or is it a poor contact problem? Possibly oxidation? It's completely new.

Flashaholic*

Remove the switch entirely and short the back end. Listen what happens to the noise then. I bet it gets much louder. It's not the tailcap making the noise, it's just the easiest place to hear it.
    With the tailcap removed I dont get any noise,nor do I get any with a switch modded to a twisty.

Some switches are worse than others,with my current switch I dont any noise.

Yours may come from the head,but I'm sure mine was the switch.

As Gunner12 said,yours may not be potted well,you can always open it up and see if its bothersome.

Michael

The sound is usually just the inductor whining.

Flashaholic*

So what is the problem -- if there is any at all? Is it the batteries? Or is it the circuitry? Or is it a poor contact problem? Possibly oxidation? It's completely new.
    My guess is the switch,I can loan you a switch to try,if you want to pay for sending it back to me.If it still makes a noise,the it is as Marduke said,in the head.

Michael

Just for statistics/ref purposes, I have the new L1D-CE Q5 (see sig) and with the L2D body and Lithium AAs it does make a noise.
    (on turbo i think? I'd have to retest this as i have mostly only used it in L1D mode till now)...

Oh well !
    Flashlights: Fenix L1D-CE Q5 Black (OP) (w/reverse polarity protection and L2D body)

Quote Originally Posted by TexLite View Post
    My guess is the switch,I can loan you a switch to try,if you want to pay for sending it back to me.If it still makes a noise,the it is as Marduke said,in the head.

Michael
    Oh, that won't be necessary. Thanks for your offer though! I have already contacted Fenix about it. I'm waiting to see what they have to say about it...

I didn't know that they used inductors in flashlights. I know how they're used in signal filtering, but I wasn't aware of their applications in flashlights. Why would they give a high frequency whining sound though?

Oh, that won't be necessary. Thanks for your offer though! I have already contacted Fenix about it. I'm waiting to see what they have to say about it...

I didn't know that they used inductors in flashlights. I know how they're used in signal filtering, but I wasn't aware of their applications in flashlights. Why would they give a high frequency whining sound though?
    Inductors are used to boost the voltage. High power LED flashlights in general squeeze lots of electronics into the head to control and regulate the output. It is extremely common for these circuits to make audible noise which can be heard with young ears.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast