How do you carry your multi level lights?

watchcollector1968

Newly Enlightened
Just wondering if you can keep your lights set to come on at a certain level, which one do you choose? Any lights I have that are multi level, I keep them set to come on high. I figure if I need low then I can set it as needed, but if I am going to really need a blast of real light, Im going to need it right away...self defense, fast check of a dark area...checking noises in the night and so on. Whats your preference?

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Watchcollector and :welcome:

It really depends on the use of each light. I fully agree that in case you walk in a dark alley you may need a blast of light for security reasons but when you wake up in the middle of the night and you want to fetch some water the same thing just does not apply. :shakehead

The lights that I tend to rotate on my nightstand must surely go on at the lowest possible level e.g. SF Titan (the best), Liteflux LF2, Nitecore Defender, etc. :sleepy:

For night walks outside a Fenik TK10 with the head well tightened will surely do. :cool:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!
As Kilovolt said it depends. For the clickies I have I like the light to come on at around 15 lumens. I find this the best all around level for me. For my Ra Twisty and McLux PD-S, I don't mind them coming on low first because the you just keep twisting for the higher levels.

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like to keep my TK10 on high. If I take it out to use it on low its probably not an emergency so I can take the few seconds to twist the head

HeadCSO

Enlightened
I do some volunteer work backstage at a local theatre. For this, I carry 2 lights. I have a Fenix L1T set on low which gives sufficient light for most things without being noticeable by the audience.

I also carry a L2T set to high in case of emergencies. 2 different sized lights so no chance of accidental discharge of bright light.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer and have a light that lets me pick the level before I turn it on and I can go from one end to the other when it's on in well under a second.
When that was down I carried two lights, one that started on hig and one that started on low.
Sometimes when you hear something go bump in the night yoou don't want a bright light to tell it where you are.

FrankW438

Newly Enlightened
Full Tilt Boogie.

Amen, Brother!

When I carry my NDI during the day, I have is set to come on to maximum brightness. But when I'm at home in the evenings, I loosen the head and it wil come on to its lowest setting.

-- Frank

crocodilo

Enlightened
Surefire L1. There's just no better user interface. Press a few millimeters for low, press a few mils more for high, or twist a bit for low, twist more for higher. Untwist for lockout. Fastest selection possible, great for signaling or quick bursts of light, either low or high.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire L1. There's just no better user interface. Press a few millimeters for low, press a few mils more for high, or twist a bit for low, twist more for higher. Untwist for lockout. Fastest selection possible, great for signaling or quick bursts of light, either low or high.

I disagreee. I can select the level I want *before* or after turning on the light.
One standard Mag light switch for off/on or bursts, and one pot for low to high in well under a second with the flick of a thumb.
No pushing for one or twisting for something else.

scaredofthedark

Enlightened
SF U2 high all the time and turned down when i want less light
or maybe when it's indoors i crank it to low side, or middle

jnj1033

Newly Enlightened
I carry a Fenix P2D on my belt, which is by default always set to high. Like Climberkid said, if I need a dim light it's probably not an emergency and I can take a second to loosen the head.

I also carry a Liteflux LF2 on my keychain. At night, I set it to the lowest setting and use it as my non-dazzling midnight snack light. During the day I set it to the default P1 and P2 settings.

J

crocodilo

Enlightened
I disagreee. I can select the level I want *before* or after turning on the light.
One standard Mag light switch for off/on or bursts, and one pot for low to high in well under a second with the flick of a thumb.
No pushing for one or twisting for something else.

I may not have been clear. On the L1 you can use either the momentary push for activating each of the modes, or the twisty cap, once again to activate either of the modes. You select modes simultaneously with the activation, and you have two different methods:

If you want light just for a short time, you thumb-press the momentary switch. If you press "softly", you get low. If you press "hard" you get high. Momentary instant selection of either mode, just depending on how hard you press.

For the twisty operation, as you start to tighten the cap, low comes first and then, after a few more degrees of rotation, high kicks in.

I've found this to be fantastically simple, fast and reliable. Only downside is that will only work for two-level lights.

But, as in most affairs, I guess it does come down to personal preference...

scottaw

Enlightened
I keep my 120 to turn on at 60 most of the time, if i know i'm going somewhere I won't want bright right away, i set it to come on much lower for the next turn-on.