P7 tint

uluapoundr

Newly Enlightened
I've been reading that many of you who have built a P7 light favor the "SWO" color because it's more natural white versus "SYP" which is pure white. I compared the two and here are some things that I noticed.

To compare the P7 in a modded M*g, I used the stock reflector and adjusted the beam till I could make out all four die. That is when I noticed the variations among each die. In the "LED" sub forum, there were pictures of the quad die at various voltages and it appeared that the vf was not balanced.

On the SWO emitter, out of the 4 dies, two or three are on the yellower side and one white. On the SYP, 1 die is really blue, the other 3 are yellow and white. When using a MOP reflector, the light from the SWO is still whiter than any incan but more natural in color than say the SYP which is pure white with a blue tint.

My question is, how is the color deterimined? Are the emitters made, then tested and then bin rated? Is it normal for a quad die to consist of various tints to put out an overall tint?

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I personally don't like the WO because of the yellow corona. Same goes for the WO P4. I've got some CSXOI on order from KD. I'm hoping the XO tint is what I'm after. I have a number of XO P4s, some are very cool, some are very nice.