P7 reflector for a M*g 3D

Synergic

Newly Enlightened
Hi there!

What is the best option for a reflector choose for a SSC P7?
Im going to use it in a M*g 3D and what i want is a good center focused beam with less posible lateral loss.

Thanks.

spencer

Enlightened
I beleive most throw will be the stock reflector but it will look really bad. You could then turn stock into a MOP for a better beam. If you are lazy like me, buy KD's MOP reflector for a decent beam.

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will get ~double the throw with the stock reflector compared to the OP variety sold by KaiDomain. With the stock reflector you get a donut/circle shaped hotspot only when focussed for max throw. The structured/op reflector from KaiD works well and produces a bigger and fuzzier hotspot, and also have brighter spill. Get both and see what you like best.

Norm

Retired Administrator
I think the DX reflector works very well, makes for a nice finished look with just the head of the LED poking through. Seems to throw as well if not just slightly better than a stippled mag reflector. Good value for the price. You will need to file the top flange to get the mag bezel to fit without a gap.

p7dxreflectorvp0.jpg

The DX reflector

Norm

thanks to uluapoundr for setting me straight. :D

Last edited:

uluapoundr

Newly Enlightened
I think the KD reflector works very well, makes for a nice finished look with just the head of the LED poking through. Seems to throw as well if not just slightly better than a stippled mag reflector. Good value for the price. You will need to file the top flange to get the mag bezel to fit without a gap.
Norm

Norm,
I think you were referring to the DX P7 reflector right, like the one in your recent build.

I have the KD MOP which gets rid of all the artifacts but also cuts down the throw. The stock reflector throws really well, but with artifacts and donut. I will sputter a stock reflector to see if that will smooth things out.

Another option would be to use smaller reflectors glued to the emitter. I dropped in the MTE P7 reflector in my M*G which resulted in a flood. I'm curious to see how other reflectors will do.

Isthereanybodyoutthere

Newly Enlightened
What about the colimator from litemania ??
There are so many people with a P7 now ,havent any bought one and did try it out :shrug:

husky20

Banned
I got an M2 LOP from the sandwich shoppe it made a huge difference the beam is almost perfect with little if any artifacts and is tighter for less sidespill but still has plenty.i paid 33$ delivered you have to specify reamed to .0625

Last edited:

9x23

Enlightened
husky20

I've been looking for a high quality drop-in solution and that certainly is an option. Thanks for the info. Do you have any beamshots you can share?

9x23

Last edited:

husky20

Banned
no i haven't taken any beamshots yet but i assure you this thing is very very impressive i consider it to be like a super portable spotlight:thumbsup:i went to visit my parents in riverside and they have 2 acres and it lit up the whole yard and threw a humongous spot all the way out to the Field witch is about 150 feet away in the front yard.The driveway is about 80 feet to the gate lights up the whole thing and well beyond and the gate is huge.

JamisonM

Enlightened
Husky20, I've wondered how well the M2 reflectors would work with a P7. How well does it throw compared to a stock maglite reflector?

husky20

Banned
Its a little better but the quality is where it shines before the beam was just horribly ugly with artifacts lines holes it all goes away with this.you can focus it to almost perfect quality.its more like a flood spotlight than a thrower it lights up a massive area at night with a huge spot within 80 feet beyond that its just massive flood and i mean massive.I also have the dx op reflector its pretty good for the price cleans up the beam great you just cant screw it all the way down unless you do some work on it but it was only 5 bucks good deal.

Last edited:

JamisonM

Enlightened
Its a little better but the quality is where it shines before the beam was just horribly ugly with artifacts lines holes it all goes away with this.you can focus it to almost perfect quality.its more like a flood spotlight than a thrower it lights up a massive area at night with a huge spot within 80 feet beyond that its just massive flood and i mean massive.I also have the dx op reflector its pretty good for the price cleans up the beam great you just cant screw it all the way down unless you do some work on it but it was only 5 bucks good deal.
So, the textured (looking at your photos) M2 reflectors actually out throw the stock smooth maglite reflectors? Crazy. I guess that's because the M2 isn't quite as wide as the stock maglite reflector. How about side spill with the M2? I'm guessing there isn't as much, but is there still enough to be useful?

husky20

Banned
Its crazy lets say there are 60 people within a 100 feet of you and you lit them up they would be in a huge hotspot circle of white light surounded by a huge massive sidespill that would light up everything else within a 100 feet sideways its crazy.no one is sneaking by this light.its the perfect party pooper :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I prefer a sputtered stock reflector over the KD P7 reflector or the KD MOP reflector. Both of those KD reflectors are not as deep as the stock Mag reflector. The KD MOP is just a tad shorter. The results are they don't throw as far.

I consider KD's MOP reflector to be HOP rather MOP. I've sputtered Mag reflectors to match KD's MOP reflector as close as I could & the Mag reflector still throws more than the KD MOP. The KD MOP has too much of a loss in throw for my liking. The KD P7 reflector is too much flood. Since the P7 puts out so much light I look for throw rather than flood.

Left: Sputtered Reflector, Right: KD's MOP
sputtered_KDMOP.jpg

I have yet to find a Mag reflector replacement that is as deep as the stock Mag reflector. Anyone know of any? I've tried the PMR, KD MOP, & Litho's reflectors already. Haven't tried FM's removable cam reflectors yet but since the KD MOP reflector is a copy of it I'm assuming it's the same size. I keep going back to the sputtered ones until I find something that's really worth it. So those M2 reflectors have good throw? I never tried one cause I didn't like how the reflector didn't make use of the full Mag head, always thought that was a waste. Don't like how that looks either.

I do have this very deep reflector that I just received from FM but um....:sssh::whistle::green: I need permision first before posting.

husky20

Banned
That is the design of it to give it better throw thats why it looks this way it has a smaller radius.I think it looks cool it looks custom.when people see it they know its not an ordinary maglight.:confused:

Last edited:

JamisonM

Enlightened
Its crazy lets say there are 60 people within a 100 feet of you and you lit them up they would be in a huge hotspot circle of white light surounded by a huge massive sidespill that would light up everything else within a 100 feet sideways its crazy.no one is sneaking by this light.its the perfect party pooper :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
I don't mean it's crazy crazy, but cool crazy. I liked the that it out throws the stock reflector even though it's not a smooth reflector itself. I've been looking for a reflector for a 3D P7 maglite that I got done putting together a couple of weeks ago. I'm not to happy with the stock reflector nor am I thrilled with the performance of one thats been sputtered (though it does make the beam look damn nice). I've been looking for a reflector that would work well with a P7. Seems like a smooth M2 I might just try out.

husky20

Banned
Go for it i almost went for the M2 SMO but i changed my order after i allready paid and went for the LOP im happy with it but i still wonder how the smo would have been.like to have both but there not cheap.I have heard it throws even further but with less quality looking beam so i went for the LOP because it was best of both worlds.

Last edited: