3" TurboHead with 1W SE throws.........

McGizmo

Flashaholic
3\" TurboHead with 1W SE throws.........

I recently acquired a 3" turbo head from a fellow CPFer and since these aren't easy to come by, nor are they cheap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif , The following info and observation is perhaps not too useful.

3-inch-turbo-1W.jpg

I have a 1W SE of unknown but likely not stellar flux that is mounted on a turbo pedestal with a BB660 driver. It had been coupled with a KT turbo head and to date was the most impressive bang for your buck in terms of lux/watt of all of my flashlights. After exchanging the KT head for the 3" turbo head, this unit really walks away from the rest of what I have. I know other modders here have made brighter flashlights in both 1 and 5W systems but if the goal is throw, I suspect that the combo of a 3" turbo head and 1W SE will be hard to beat. I have a few 5W lights and some are in KT turbo heads. None of what I have can come close to the lux/watt I get from this combo.

3-inch-T-head.jpg

I have pretty much given up on 5W SE's for throw due to the "volume" of photon origin but I now wonder if the 3" isn't possibly capable of working with these in a useful fashion.

More Info

I expect one of you to show a light one of these days that is in the shape of a paper back book. A large, 4 or 5" reflector will be recessed into a rectangular body that holds the batteries on the perimeter of the light source. Heck, it could have a large spot reflector as described along with a NX05 and even a flood. That is to say three different light sources all mounted on the face. A dial switch could direct the power, constant current or otherwise, to the light source of choice.... How's that for going off topic within the first post? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

- Don

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 3

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Re: 3-inch TurboHead with 1W SE throws

I haven't had the chance to try my newly aquired 3" TH, however I can tell you the SRTH kicks some serious butt on both the E2 + E2C setup, the 6p and the 9p. Obviously the 9p is not a fair comparision, but these 2-cells lights perform well.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks like the wider the reflector on the side emitters, the longer it throws? Or is it the deeper the reflector, the longer it throws?

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast

McGizmo, do you make these for sale? All I need is the 1W. And I already have a donor N1 if needed.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

For the side emitter, the larger the parabola, the more it can handle light emanating from outside the focal point. Deep is probably not as critical as wide (larger parabola). This 3" seems to be redirecting the brunt of the light coming from the LED. The "direct" wide angle flood is about nill.

- Don