First Time Poster: Need help finding the right led flashlight!!

xmarkx88

Newly Enlightened
I really want to thank everyone for making this forum a very informative place where complete newbs can learn a thing or two about flashlights. Let me start off by saying i have always been a flashlightaholic... when i was about 13 i purchased a brookstone led flashlight for $50 because it was the most powerful thing that i could find(I was too young to realize the world of internet shopping). That was roughly 7 years ago and it had something along the lines of 30-50 lumens which was pretty good for that time period i believe.

Currently i own Romisen rc-g2 (p2- single AA) and rc-f4(p4- 2 x cr123a).... being away from the flashlight scene for around 6 years now, it is needless to say that i was blown away by the RC-F4.... purchased because of bessiebennie's great reviews. thanks

I am now in the market for a new light that will keep me amused until the cree mc-e leds hit the market.

I am looking to spend under $40 and i am hoping to get the best bang for the buck.

-Battery life is not of a big issue to me because i do not plan on using the light for long periods of time(if i do, i will just keep a few extra cells in my pocket)

-I also want a light that can is overall pretty small... around the length of the maglite 2 x AA or shorter, without an overly excessive large head.

-the ability to use cr123a would be a huge plus for me being that i have several primaries and rechargeables, but i will jump into the 18640 crowd if necessary

-I dont necessarily need a super-long thrower but having more throw than my rc-f4 would be nice.

-Must be bright as a mofo

Currently the lights that i am considering are:

1. Eastwardyj XAQ5
spectacular performance for the price based on bessiebennies review

2. Eastwardyj 18WD
recommendation based on bessiebennies reviews
has HA-III and could possibly accept cr123a and rcr123a based on eastwards website(anyone know?)
hopefully better heatsinking than xaq5

3.Trustfire T1/KD tough tactic- they look identicle to me so i am assuming that they are the same light just oem
-some have had success with cr123a(rcr123a?)

4.Aurora Cree q5 2 mode
-definitely will accept rcr123a

5.Ultrafire c2 cree q5
-some users have written about quality issues

thanks for reading and any knowledgable input would be greatly appreciated

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF! Since I have only been buying higher end lights I do not know what is going on in the <$50.00 range but Liteflux has a new AA light coming out that looks pretty cool. Don't know what the price is going to be though. Good luck finding what you are looking for.

pobox1475

Enlightened
:welcome:

Surefire G2 LED. 80 lumens. 12 Hours on 2 123's. Very durable. A little further up the price scale at $65 retail (have seen them go $40-50 eBay). Thats' the one on my current radar.

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might consider a Fenix P3D. They are around 65$ +/- but are worth EVERY penny. You might also find a NIB one in the Market Place for cheaper as they often come up for sale. Just be sure it's the latest Q5 version. If you're willing to step up a few bucks, I really think you'll be VERY pleased. This light carries very easily in my jeans pocket with an after market clip I attahced to it. It's nearly as bright as some of my larger 18650 cell lights. It has several modes and the User Interface (UI) is very friendly. I absolutely LOVE mine and it's by far the most versatile light I own thus far and I've purchased several higher end lights recently. BUY ONE! You'll LOVE it!:twothumbs Try here http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=62&Page=5

Review this recent thread as well https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/199234

Hope this helps. Good luck:thumbsup:

Dan

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Since you already have the RC-G2 and RC-F4, would you like to try and modify the lights? Decent soldering skills(and thermal paste/glue/epoxy) would be needed.

I'd recommend modding and saving up for the next big thing when it comes.

But if you want far throwing, it would be hard without a larger sized head. If you are willing to deal with a Maglite C/D sized head, the Aurora WF-600 might work.

:welcome:

Was not aware of this. Where are things at now power wise?

I think the G2L runs at around 450 mA(I don't know, don't quote me on this), Most LED drop-ins run at around 80-1200 mA, and have a deeper reflector so the light throws more too.