1 more vote for changing the name of French Fries

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the criminals and vandals in France are anti-american. Hard to get too excited about that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Or maybe they just want to burn something and this is a good excuse...

I think we should just stop eating so many fries anyway. They aren't good for you.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
who cares what the panty waists think.

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Ok, I've wondered this for a while. If you call french fries "chips", what the heck do you call potato chips?

GeoffChan

Enlightened
Re: 1 more vote for changing the name of French Fr

we call both of them chips, its all in the referencing down here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

we use:

Hot Chips = Fries
Bag of Chips = Chips, crisps.

Geoff

Kristofg

Enlightened

Is there actually any food with "American" in it's name?
Hamburg is a town in Germany, which was opposed to the war as well, so Does that make hamburgers freedomers? And just for the record, the french didn't invent french fries, we did. Hot chips are frites or frieten over here. And if you're going to rename anti-war food, don't forget to change Brussels sprouts into freedom sprouts.

lightnix

Enlightened

This whole thing is starting to sound pathetic now, like name-calling in a schoolyard. I mean, how would you feel if American Football was referred to as "Warmonger Football" (as has been suggested in Europe) ?

Will you be asking for Freedom Toast as well ? Will your partner "freedom braid" her hair and will you give her "freedom kisses" in moments of passion ? What about the "freedom horn" players in orchestras or "freedom Canadians" ? Will you learn to speak Freedom at school ?

While you're at it, why not work to remove all the modern French terms that have worked their way into the English language ? Things like: Adore, Aperitif, Après-ski, Automobile, Avant-garde, Bidet, Bourgeois, Brasserie, Café, Camouflage, Chateau, Chef, Coup d'etat, Croissant, Debacle, Debutante, Dessert, Elite, Etiquette, Fiancée, Fricassee, Garage, Gourmet, Hors d'oeuvre, Hotel, Liaison, Limousine, Lingerie, Marionette, Morale, Parole, Pastiche, Pirouette, Prestige, Regime, Silhouette, Souvenir, Vignette, Voyage and Voyeur ?

Perhaps when you've done that you can "do something" about the (estimated) 20,000 words in the English language which have French roots. Here's a small sample to be getting on with: Allow, *******, Beauty, Beef, Brush, Castle, Chivalry, Choice, Cloister, Conquest, Constraint, Court, Defeat, Destroy, Dinner, Forest, Frail, Garden, Govern, Honest, Hostel, Indict, Interest, Judge, Justice, Liberty, Loyal, Marvel, Mutton, Paste, Pensive, Place, Poison, Port, Priest, Push, Quarter, Quest, Royal, Stuff, Sure, Tempest, Ticket, Trick and Verdict.

Maybe if you'd done this when the French secret service blew up Greenpeace's Rainbow Warrior in Auckland harbour (killing two people) you might have got more international support for the idea. Or maybe when the French carried out nuclear tests in the South Pacific back in the 90s. Or how about when extremist right-wing mayors were voted into a number of French towns and banned all books on foreign cultures (including Islam) from their local libraries. We don't recall hearing any howls of protest from the US back then.

To carry on with this achieves nothing except to make Americans look childish, nationalistic and intolerant. If you believe in democracy, you believe in the right to disagree. Maybe now the Iraqi war is nearly over, we should begin to look to the future and work to resolve our disagreements and differences to create a more peaceful world.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

This was started at some mom-and-pop store and got on the local news. A few people picked up on it and ran with it.
And if we did drop all the words that have a French origin, we'd be no better than the xenophobic French who changed the spelling of an acronym (CD-ROM) to better fit in with their language.

leddite

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Kristofg said:
Is there actually any food with "American" in it's name?

[/ QUOTE ]

good question...

american chop suey
american pie (made with 100% REAL americans, free range plain raised)
american apple pie
american shepherd's pie

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search?q=+american with 545 hits

we can go silly and use "Native American ...", or "South American", or
"North American", or ... :>

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
leddite said:
american pie (made with 100% REAL americans, free range plain raised)

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

That's pretty funny. I sometimes wondered what American Pie was..

Graham

2dogs

Enlightened

Mr S I would remind you that YOU are attacking US with your post. What started out as humor has become name calling and insults. If you are so tolerant then let US have some fun. Please don't let this flame up.

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast

It already has... I can hear Sasha coming... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Dan

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast

don't pay them any mind, they're jealous of our great nation and freedoms.

Albany Tom

Enlightened

You forgot to mention one of the best french words - capitulation.

Actually, "french fries" is pretty funny, in that it's a cheap food found in every diner in the US, yet the french have such a high opinion of their culture. Likewise with french toast. I used to kid that except for the fries, and the statue, pretty much the french haven't given us much of anything. Oh yeah, there's the dressing, too.

I have to hope that renaming the fries was just a cute gimicy thing to do. I think most educated people dislike the french, and that's not anything new. I've been making fun of them myself for years.

Back in the late 80s or early 90s a British actor was on the Letterman show, and somehow they were talking about politics. The actor said that he was pretty sure the next war wouldn't be in the mideast. Letterman asked him what it would be about, and he said, "Oh, it'll be with the french". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Personally, I think I'd like them if they just gave up on the whole cultural thing. Oh yeah, and maybe bathe a bit more regularly.

It's also GREAT to see the US Marines working hand in hand with the Iraqi's tearing down that statue, and the British Marines working to quickly form a new local government in Basra. I predict that we'll soon be great friends with the Iraqi people, and that it'll be a cold day in hell before you see our Marines, or the British, working hand in hand with the french.

Just my 2 cents.