How much is enough?

rmorgan84

Newly Enlightened
I am debating between the M60 & the M60L to go in a 9P. Now, i think well 235 lumens would be great but then 140 is hardly dim and the extra battery life would be a big bonus.

So in your opinion how many lumens is enough?

I am a UK cop so will be using if for duty, but for comparison/perspective the standard issue torch over here is a 2 x C-celll maglite.

Last edited:

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
235 235!!!! :party: i love lumens. you can always get more batteries. i figure since you are a LEO more lumens would be great. but yeah battery life is nice. dangit now i cant decide............i like lumens though

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M60L will make the 2 cell mag look like a birthday candle. I'm willing to sacrifice runtime for output on my EDC, since with normal use I only have to change batteries every week or two at the most(with an M60 at less than 2 hours of runtime). If you use the light for an hour or more every day that adds up quick, so I'd go for the M60L. If you only use it for 10 minutes a day though I'd spring for the M60.

rmorgan84

Newly Enlightened
The M60L will make the 2 cell mag look like a birthday candle. I'm willing to sacrifice runtime for output on my EDC, since with normal use I only have to change batteries every week or two at the most(with an M60 at less than 2 hours of runtime). If you use the light for an hour or more every day that adds up quick, so I'd go for the M60L. If you only use it for 10 minutes a day though I'd spring for the M60.

It varies, sometimes i will be using it for hours, if searching for someone/something. On other shifts it will be used for only a few minutes.

But as said considering most cops survive with only a stock c cell mag i think the m60L will be more than enough!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The M60L should be a happy medium, you can probably also carry a similar light as a back up/show off light if you want.

Zenster

Enlightened
I am debating between the M60 & the M60L to go in a 9P. Now, i think well 235 lumens would be great but then 140 is hardly dim and the extra battery life would be a big bonus.

So in your opinion how many lumens is enough?

I am a UK cop so will be using if for duty, but for comparison/perspective the standard issue torch over here is a 2 x C-celll maglite.

I bought the M60 first (installed in a 6P), and it's a real torch. Impressed the hell out of me.
But... I also wanted a light that might "almost" run up against the M60 in brightness but with much longer runtime, so I then bought the M60L.

I now use the M60L most of the time for most situations because it's brighter than most situations need and I get 4+ hours runtime on batteries.
But, I keep the 6P with M60 handy for those times when I want to see further and into those dark places that need seeing into (running alarm calls at night).

So based on my personal experience, I'd have to say that getting both would be a really good option, but getting the M60L first wouldn't disappoint you at all.

Last edited:

rmorgan84

Newly Enlightened
I bought the M60 first (installed in a 6P), and it's a real torch. Impressed the hell out of me.
But... I also wanted a light that might "almost" run up against the M60 in brightness but with much longer runtime, so I then bought the M60L.

I now use the M60L most of the time for most situations because it's brighter than most situations need and I get 4+ hours runtime on batteries.
But, I keep the 6P with M60 handy for those times when I want to see further and into those dark places that need seeing into (running alarm calls at night).

So based on my personal experience, I'd have to say that getting both would be a really good option, but getting the M60L first wouldn't disappoint you at all.

the other thing that i think would be a problem is that 235 lumes might be a little too overwhelming when working in confined spaces such as filling out forms or close quarters, it's no good being blinded by your own flashlight!

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
In Los Angeles and other regions where sun shading methods are pervasive, a number of patrol officers prefer collimated SMO beams to be able to view through both screened and tinted windows.

rmorgan84

Newly Enlightened
In Los Angeles and other regions where sun shading methods are pervasive, a number of patrol officers prefer collimated SMO beams to be able to view through both screened and tinted windows.

In the Uk it is illegal to ahve the front windows tinted at more than 30%.

KeeperSD

Enlightened
Get the M60 :cool:, whilst I don't have one myself and am not saying that the M60L isn't bright, I prefer to have the brightest light available that i can get, i prefer to compromise indoors with a bright light than have to compromise outdoors when you may need more light. I have never been "blinded" when using my Sniper Q5 indoors.

If cost is a concern grab some rechargeables, which i much prefer in our line of work to reduce cost. If you are concerned about running out of power while on shift, have a second set of rechargeables ready to go like you would with primaries. I only charge my light every second night and it gets frequent use when i am working afternoons/nights.

The light will probably be too bright to fill out tickets, notebooks or forms, grab a little AAA light like a Fenix LOD or Fenix EO1. I carry a LOD in my top pocket for such purposes.

Last edited:

Force Attuned

Enlightened
Get the M60 :cool:, whilst I don't have one myself and am not saying that the M60L isn't bright, I prefer to have the brightest light available that i can get, i prefer to compromise indoors with a bright light than have to compromise outdoors when you may need more light. I have never been "blinded" when using my Sniper Q5 indoors.

If cost is a concern grab some rechargeables, which i much prefer in our line of work to reduce cost. If you are concerned about running out of power while on shift, have a second set of rechargeables ready to go like you would with primaries. I only charge my light every second night and it gets frequent use when i am working afternoons/nights.

The light will probably be too bright to fill out tickets, notebooks or forms, grab a little AAA light like a Fenix LOD or Fenix EO1. I carry a LOD in my top pocket for such purposes.

I agree with the above comment.

I have both the M60 and the M60L. Whilst I have primarily used my G2Z with an M60L, I always have my C2 w/M60 in my duty bag. I then rotate between the 2 when I'm out of battery power.

Whilst on duty I also take with me 3 sets of rechargeables too...just in case.

The only reason I use my G2Z more is because I love the feel of it to death...yes....even more than my C2....but I always have the C2 nearby for backup.

As for a low-powered light for running sheets/infringement notices etc..I use the low setting of my E1B, which I clip inside my shirt pocket.

If you are only going to use the one primary light, then get the M60 and a few sets of rechargeables...you can't go wrong!!

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think in a 9P, youll get enough runtime out of a M60 HOLA because of the extra battery..

Crenshaw

rmorgan84

Newly Enlightened
Do you guys think there is a better option than a 9P with a M60? For a duty light? When considering the 9p is about as large as i would like to go anything M3/4 sized is a bit large.

BMF

Enlightened
There's a new product from Gene M60F with a lot of flood, I don't have one yet but it might get your attention.

gottawearshades

Enlightened
I have an M60 and love it. Lots of flood, respectable throw. Best of both worlds.

I have used this a few times as a what-was-that-noise-from-out-back light. It will certainly comfort anybody who's afraid of the dark. However, I find it to be TOO bright for indoors, and I'm considering also getting myself the M60L at some point.

(By the way, one man's opinion, I'm not sure about what the M60F brings to the table. The M60 has an awful lot of flood.)

GPB

Enlightened
Keep in mind that I'm not an LEO, so the value of my opinion here is somewhat limited, but I have a BOG drop in ( 235 lumens ) in a Cabela's 6P clone and a SF G2L that live side by side in my "light cabinet". I almost always grab the SF because I am concious of the battery usage difference of the two, and I can always get what I need from the lower rated 80 lumen light. I don't deal with bad guys, and will never get shot because I didn't have enough light......but if the incan Mag is getting the job done now, the M60L will certainly out do that by a wide margin, and probably give a greater burn time as well.

I wonder if there is anyway to get the higher powered light and then add a multi stage tailcap switch to the 9P so you can run it at different levels. Where does the multi stage function come from...is that part of the light assembly or part of the switch ?? I am sure someone here knows if this could be done.

generic808

Enlightened
Like they say, "the bigger the better". Go with the M60 and just run rechargeables. Guilt-free lumens - problem solved :thumbsup:

rmorgan84

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to go Ot, but since there are some LEOs in this thread i was watching a tv show last night where sopme uk cops went on an exchange programme to chicago.

Now one thing that shocked me is that US cops have to buy their own guns! The force provides them with ammo, but the guns themselves have to be bought by the officers out of their own money. One guy had spent over $10k on various hand guns, shot guns and assualt rifles.

Is this the same for every force? I feel hard done by having to buy a torch because the c cell maglite we cops in the UK get standard issued are so crap!

rmorgan84

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to go OT, but since there are some LEOs in this thread i was watching a tv show last night where some UK cops went on an exchange to chicago.

Now one thing that shocked me is that US cops have to buy their own guns! The force provides them with ammo, but the guns themselves have to be bought by the officers out of their own money. One guy had spent over $10k on various hand guns, shot guns and assualt rifles.

Is this the same for every force? I feel hard done by having to buy a torch because the c cell maglite we cops in the UK get standard issued are so crap!

bagman

Enlightened
I would go with the M60 for your primary duty light, I carry one in a SureFire C2 host (on 2 x RCR123A's) or in a 3 cell host with 2 x 17500 cells (or 2 x 18500 cells if I use a Leaf C-C body)

A M60 in a 9P with 2 x protected 17500 Li-ions for guilt free (I assume your force does not spring for 123A's? :ralmao: ;) ) would make an excellent duty light and spare batteries fit very nicely in the internal slots in my stab vest pockets so I always have at least one spare set of batteries for each torch I carry (lots don't ask :D)

It is too bright for paperwork, much better off with a little light on the radio or epaulette slots on your stabbie if it has them. I am currently using a Pentagon MOLLE light that fits nicely horizontal on the epaulette slots or a Peil VB3 is also very good for low light levels.