Ra Twisty & Clicky Information Repository

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
Hello,
Welcome to the Ra Twisty and Clicky information repository. This is a place where I gather links regarding Ra lights and attempt to organize them. Each link will generally lead to a single-post view, some may not. I've done my best to give a short description of the content in each link. Recently (2009) there has been an explosion of information/repeat information about the Ra Clicky, to the extent that I am not able to recover links on-the-fly. Over time I will search the archived threads and parce links into this post.

Please provide links to information you think is suitable for this thread when you find/make them. I only have two eyes and one brain, and the three of them don't always work well together. The more of you provide key information, the more we all become better informed.

Scroll down below the Twisty links for Ra Clicky links and info!

Ra Twisty Part 1, Part 2

Runtime:

150 minutes at 70lm on a 70Tr using Primary CR123A.
97 Minutes runtime on CR123 Primary at 85lm.

2 hour 57 minute runtime on 18670 battery tube at 85lm.
4.5 days runtime at .33lm on 85Tr with CR123 Primary.
37 hours on red on CR123 Primary with 85Tr.

PICTURES/BEAMSHOTS:
Excellent pictorial of the Ra Twisty.
Another shot of the bezel assembly
Some shots of the red beam on the 70/85Tr version
Beamshot comparisons
Some observations about the 100Tw with great pictures
Physical comparison between a Fenix P2D and Ra Twisty Cont.
A really great pictorial review, lots of high res pictures
Super close up macro shot of the Osram emitter in the TR versions of the Ra Twisty.
85Tr, 100Tw, NovaTac 120, Modded B42 outdoor beamshots, wide vs. narrow.
A macro zoom of the emitter
XRAY image of Ra Twisty!!!!!

TEXT BASED INFO:
Great post from Henry about the toughness
Post about water intrusion from Henry
A good programming walkthrough
Discussion of Ra Twisty Beam patterns.

RUNTIME INFO:
Some runtime graphs of the 70tr
This_Is_Nascar's Review of his Ra Twisty.. Lots of runtime graphs against Arc6.

USER REVIEWS:
My own review of a Ra Twisty 85Tr!
A brief real world review
Another decent user review
Some random observations about the Ra 100Tr
Comparison between Nova 120P and Ra-120T
Fairly comprehensive review of the Ra Twisty 85Tr. Pictures, graphs, and plenty of text to read.

BEZEL/CLIP:
User designed clip for Twisty. Not official, but really sweet!
NovaTac low profile clip for bezel up carry of Twisty. A great idea from LLcool.
McGizmo clip for bezel down carry of Twisty.
Fireboltr helps with Twisty carry / clip solution and ideas. Work in progress.
Titanium Bezels for Twisty and Clicky. Stock SS bezel=10.52 grams
Ti bezel= 6.20 grams.

Glow Paint on SS Bezel for visibility.

RARE/CUSTOM/MOD:
.... Titanium Twisties....
Prototype 18670 Battery tube for the Ra Twisty!
(https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2552918&postcount=36)
Ra Twisty and Tritium

TI CR2 battery case for Twisty

Notes:
Ra Twisty Serial Number Registry Thread

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ra Clicky part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4, part 5, part 6, part 7, part 8.
New Ra Product Thread (CT, CE, EDCT, EDCE)part 1, part 2, part 3

Runtime Key:
P = Primary CR123A Cell
R = AW RCR123 or Similar
(CGT) = Clicky Wide w/Guaranteed Tint SSC - 140lm Burst
(C)/(CE) = Clicky Wide, standard SSC (Original/Executive) - 140lm Burst
(EDCE) = Clicky Every Day Carry Executive - 120lm Burst
(CN)/(CT) = Clicky Narrow OSRAM (Original/Tactical) - 140lm Burst
(EDCT) = Clicky Every Day Carry Tactical OSRAM - 120lm Burst
(WWCN) = Clicky Warm White Narrow OSRAM - 100lm Burst

Ra 140CGT @ Level 22 (100lm):
SaturnNyne(CGT)...............105P 71R
SaturnNyne(CGT)....................73R
Zenas(CGT)....................104P...R
Zenas(CGT)....................104P 83R
Not_Holic(CGT)................103P 60R
Zenas(CGT).....................98P...R
grinsekatz(CGT)................93P 58R
Veleno(CGT)....................82P...R
-----------------------------------------
Average Runtime..............98.4P 69R in Minutes

Ra 140Cn @ Level 22 (100lm):
shomie911(CN)..................107P 72R
Moka(CN).......................105P 69R
Moka(CN).......................104P...R
LLCoolBeans(CN)..............100.5P...R
matrixshaman(CN)................93P...R
grinsekatz(CN)..................92P 59R
eltel99(CN).....................87P 63R
Enzo Morocioli(CN)..............87P 60R
Kid9P(CN).........................P 84R
----------------------------------------
Average Runtime...............96.9P 67.8R in Minutes

Ra CT @ Level 22 (100lm):
Strauss..........................77R
-----------------------------------
Average Runtime..................71R in Minutes

Ra 140C @ Level 22 (100lm):
grinsekatz(C)...................95P 58R
LuxLover(C).....................85P 68R
LuxLover(C).....................84P 67R
LuxLover(C).......................P 65R
-----------------------------------------
Average Runtime.................88P 64.5R in Minutes

Ra CE @ Level 22 (100lm):
------------------------------------

Ra EDCE @ Level 21 (85lm):
Strauss..........................88R
Goatee...........................78R
Goatee........................P..76R
Average Runtime..................80.6R in Minutes

Ra EDCT @ Level 21 (85lm):

Luxlover(EDCT)................P..98R
Average Runtime..................98R in Minutes

*Ra 100WWCN @ Level 21 (70lm):
Enzo Morocioli(WWCN).............85P..60R
Enzo Morocioli(WWCN).............75P..48R
Goatee(WWCN).......................P..67R
Strauss(WWCN)......................P..65R

Enzo Morocioli(WWCN)...............P..60R
Cave Dave(WWCN)..................51P..48R
Cave Dave(WWCN)....................P..48.25R

-------------------------------------------
Average Runtime..................70P..56.6R in Minutes

*Ra 170CN @ Level 22 (120lm)
Cave Dave.........................73P....R
PoliceScannerMan....................P..65R
Cave Dave...........................P..63R
Cave Dave...........................P..55R

--------------------------------------------
Average Runtime...................73P..61R in Minutes
(106m at 85lm on RCR)

Notes:
1.) 140CGT may run roughly 30 minutes on a BS 900mAh RCR123 if "the awe inspiring power of burst is invoked continuously, summoned from the clouds to come screaming to your aid, destroying the night like a photonic eagle on Apollo's chariot." -SaturnNyne

2.) 100WWCN may run 4.5 hours at tactical strobe level on a AW RCR123.

3.)
10 hour runtime on the stock "Primary" setting. (runtime to test in progress)

4.)
Ra Clicky Serial Number Registry.

PICTURES/BEAMSHOTS:
Ra Clicky Proto type next to Ra Twisty
Ra Clicky Proto next to HDS EDC, Novatac, Ra Twisty
Ra Clicky 140C next to Novatac
Ra Clicky battery tube and signal path
Clicky tailstand wobble issue

Clicky next to 17650 Nova, HDS EDC

Luxlovers Clicky photoshoot

Luxlovers Clicky arrival, battery tube, head, battery terminals

SaturnNyne image gallery, outdoor & indoor beamshots, comparisons

Emitter of the 140C
Hooplehead's 140Cn emitter shots
Clicky in hand pictures
140Cn outdoor beamshots against U60, and NT 120P

140Cn larger outdoor beamshots

CN vs. CGT shootout, outdoor!
CGT, CN, WWCN beamshot comparison on whitewall

Clicky Tactical flashlight pictures
Street Master's photos of the EDC 120-E
Microscopical image of Ra Clicky knurling issue.
140CE vs. Surefire E1B

TEXT BASED INFO:
Henry on Hard Anodize HAIII speck issues

General thread about flickering, blinking, or flashing.
Henry on runtime info and color coding per specific model.

Henry discussing GT tint availability and color temperature

Ra Clicky beam styles and info
Henry on the availability of 17650 and AA battery cases
Henry on battery chemistry/battery detect, bin variation/GT tints, constant power calibration
and beam patterns

Luxlover's EDCT luxmeter/runtime post
IMR runtime
Runtime on IMR16340 in 100-WWCN
Version number procedure and binary octet decipherment

USER REVIEW:
My review of Ra Clicky 100-WWCN!!!
SaturnNyne user review / SaturnNyne's Updated Revew
Ra Clicky user program settings
Cave Dave on his GD emitters
Cuso's 100-WWCN Review
scottaw's 100-WWCN Review
Skier88's In depth Review of 140CT vs. LF3XT

RUNTIME INFO:

Luxlover runtime test with lux readings

Detailed runtime textual chart with lux readings
140Cn review with lightbox readings and runtime

CLIP/BEZEL:
Clicky Clip thread with official and unofficial designs.
TI Clip in hand
Cave Dave's Carry Solution
Cave Dave's Leatherman Pouch Carry for Ra Clicky

RARE/CUSTOM/MOD:
Ra Clicky + High CRI LED mod by discoverEDC

Last edited:

TOOCOOL

Enlightened
Re: Preliminary Ra Twisty 85Tr review!

The last link .....your review all I see is some pics and a map ?

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the links. I'm having to tell myself frequently that I should wait for the clicky to come out before buying this one.

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened

Thanks for the links. I'm having to tell myself frequently that I should wait for the clicky to come out before buying this one.

You're welcome...Personally, I am very very happy with the light and glad I purchased it.. I intend on purchasing the Clicky as well.. The fit and feel of this light is second to none.. It truly feels like a tool and a photon emitting friend. Thanks Henry and HDS!:twothumbs

Last edited:

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think it's an Osram something or other. Dragon? Golden dragon? Something like that.

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
Re: Preliminary (now updated) Ra Twisty 85Tr review!

I've had the Twisty for a little while now... I have run a small lanyard rope through the two holes in the tailcap just long enough so that I can comfortably hang the twisty around my neck... I find that during the day I don't need to use the light very much so I keep it tucked away under layer of clothing... I've also worn the o-ring down a little, so that the pressure needed to twist and activate levels is a little lower.. It still feels tight, but no longer stiff.

Last night I put in some real action..
A friend of mine was going to take a walk through about 1/4 a mile of wooded forest and scrub terrain that locals call "East-West Ranch".. She isn't a flashlight kind of person, so she left that night with no illumination tools what-so-ever (not even a key-chain fauxton)... She had asked if I wanted to come along, but by the time I had prepared myself with the proper clothing she had left...
Eventually I make my way to the trail head.. I stopped there and stared into the dark forest for a few minutes, letting my eyes adjust to the moonless night.. There are some houses around, so some stray photons were illuminating a bit of haze in the air...
About this time, I pull my Twisty apart to let it reset, enter into programming mode and set the second stage to .33lm. High had already been set to the maximum of 85lm, and I keep red on low... It took me all of about a minute to program the light to a certain level where I could shine the beam 6-8 feet in front of me and still be able to look up into the darkness with minimal residual "memory" of the beam profile that burned up my rods.
I start hiking the trail using .33lm for navigation.. It's surprisingly very easy to see with that much light, considering how much is available from the torch if I need it... Things seem flat, as far as color is concerned though.. The beam and terrain just look silver, and more two dimensional than anything... Vision at that point was strangely more a sense of texture and contrast rather than of depth and color... I walked a good distance until I payed some attention to my surroundings, and learned from my 'gut' or 'instinct' that I wasn't going to run into my friend at that point..So I decide to head back out, but just before I turn around I hear a bunch of crunching and branches snapping, so I switch the twisty to high so fast that it didn't need a tactical tailcap, and shot out 85lm straight into two adolescent buck who were messing around about 50 yards ahead of me...After being startled by them, I resume my exit and on the way I switch between red and .33lm.. Both are actually still bright enough to be useful but insignificant enough to not harm night-adapted sensitivity of vision (even though I just blasted myself and the deer with 85lm)... Oddly, I kind of savored the color red, after walking around with .33 of white. The red felt satisfying to the cones I suppose...As time went on I ended up having to pick my mom up from work because she didn't have a car that night, so I get back to my car to start heading down the highway. As I approach the intersection near by mom's work, I see my friend at the cross walk.. She had hiked all the way through the woods with no lights, or cell phone, and when she came to the other end of the trail, she decided it was way too dark and scary to head back home so she began walking through town to the gas station (to get a phone and call for a ride).. Luckily timing was right and I picked both her and my mom up and took them home.

I'd like to note here that the 85tr does have a really well focused spot.. It throws very well... But it doesn't stop there.. The flood portion of the beam smoothly transitions from the spot to be all one level of brightness (no rings, or artifacts at all)...
I'd say that at 1' distance there's an 14" diameter beam in total (7" from one edge of the spill to center of the spot) and the hot-spot is about 4" in diameter. At 5' distance there is a 5'6" diameter beam in total (2.75' from the edge of the spill to center of the spot) and the hot-spot is about 8" in diameter. It's a pretty good focus/flood ratio (pretty equal distance vs. beam-width too) (measurements taken by tape measure, margin of error < or = to 2"). Throw is exceptional, I can't stress it enough. Though the somewhat 'lavender-white' beam tends to become 'flat-silver' at the farthest reaches of the spot even at 85lm, kind of limiting rendition of objects even though there is light on them..I think if the tint was a bit 'warmer', rendition would be better.

Anyway.. I'll try to add some of this description to my review on my own site later and upload some true 'in-use' beamshots of the red to give you all an idea of it's capabilities.
Thanks for reading.

EDIT: oh by the way... I've started to do a runtime test of the red.. I'm using a fresh batterystation CR123. I will let the Twisty live on my dresser with the red on while I sleep. During the day I will swap out batteries so I can use the light.. Every morning I will tally how many hours it has run on red, and to test battery stamina I will activate 85lm high for 30 seconds to test for a step down. Updates to be posted on my website under the "Informal Runtime" link.

Last edited:

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast

Enzo, thank you for your review - it was a very interesting reading. Good to know that even the lowest setting is usable for navigating. The runtime must be VERY long on the lowest setting.
Did you notice the donut hole while using the red mode?

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened

Enzo, thank you for your review - it was a very interesting reading. Good to know that even the lowest setting is usable for navigating. The runtime must be VERY long on the lowest setting.
Did you notice the donut hole while using the red mode?

I noticed that the donut, being right in the center of the beam profile, was visible in use, but that the strength of the corona around the donut and the proceeding spill is in fact bright enough to provide useful illumination of the immediate trail and bushes ahead. In fact, the lack of a focal point is kind of pleasant, because I find that red is a rather 'thick' color, and the lack of that 'thickness' in the center is useful in that it doesn't promote tunnel vision.. It kind of forces the user to pay attention to the terrain instead of watching the beam. Though if the red beam was more traditional, I wouldn't have complaints. :thumbsup:

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
Re: Ra Twisty 85Tr (& others) review!

I should note here that while doing the runtime on Red, the Twisty never exhibited a low-battery warning. The red just became dimmer and dimmer. Be aware of this if using red for long durations without switching to white..

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
Re: Ra Twisty 85Tr review!

Link does not work....

Yeah.. hopefully you browsed to the main site and found the runtimes...

The page you tried to reach can now be found here. The OP was updated with corrected links, i must have just missed this one. http://www.bisdow.com/raaa/ratwistyruntime.html

Edit: Just keep in mind that whenever i make an update i'll edit the OP with the date and links at the bottom.. I know this wont alert anyone if they have subscribed to the thread though..... Thanks for letting me know there was an error; I've revised the link that you quoted me on so no one else will run into the same problem.. Just make sure to scan the OP before using any subsequent links.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Re: Ra Twisty Info Repository and Review

I just finished a runtime test with my 120T on MED=15LM with the Duracell that came with the light.When i first got it i played with it on high for a good 15 minutes,And it still ran for 13 hrs before step down! WOW anyone else have this kind of efficiency?

thermal guy

Flashaholic

Not bad at all and 15 LM is plenty light for most work an more then enough to find your way in the dark

thermal guy

Flashaholic

Well we just have to keep this thread active so here goes.Has anyone done a runtime test on there twisty at .33 LM yet? I'm going to start tonight and let you all know how it works out oh by the way to make it a little more fun i was thinking of doing the test while my light is submersed in a glass of water.Might be kinda cool to see how waterproof it is after weeks under water What do you think.
100_3560.jpg

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic

Oh and Henry if you are watching this please let me know if you foresee any problems or warranty issues with this test:twothumbs