looking for recommendations for tactical use flashlights

kageneko

Newly Enlightened
Okay, long time reader, first time poster.

I currently have a Proton Pro, for the simple fact that as a military guy, I want something that is flexible enough for the uses I need (blinding white light when needed, variable output including strobe for signaling, and red LED for night use), in a small form factor. However, I find myself wanting (let's face it, it's want, not need :whistle:) an EDC flashlights for more specific needs.

I'm looking for the collective wisdom of Flashaholics Anonymous (aka CFP) for this flashlight.

The requirements:

1) battery types to consider = AA, 2x AA, CR123, 2x CR123. AAs for practicality and ease of obtaining spares, CR123s for brighter output.

2) other battery types considered (18500, etc.) as long as it makes sense.

3) must have tactical bezel (aka scallop/strike/crenelated) because of requirement 4 (I will consider non scalloped suggestions, but they MUST meet requirement 4).

4) must be easily used as EDC, but be long enough to be used in a trained defensive manner (escrima :devil:, which means joint locks, pressure points, strikes to sensitive areas). I have a medium sized hand (palm is 3.5" across, so usable length for self defense is approximately 4.25" or longer), and I must be able to operate the light and use it in a defensive manner as needed.

5) variable output is desired. At the minimum, very bright High (Cree Q5 or better), and a usable Low (prefer a 3 output if possible). Strobe is not necessary, but if it has it, fine. Runtimes are considered (the longer the runtime on brightest setting, the better, but it must meet the other requirements). Instant on bright a MUST.

6) mechanism for changing output is irrelevant, but I would prefer strictly one handed operation if possible (see requirement 4).

7) pocket or holster carry is acceptable, clip is optional.

8) forward clicky preferred (but not mandatory).

9) good throw with good spill. I would rank good throw slightly above good spill.

the lower the price, the better (I have to answer to command entity WIFECOM), but if the light meets all the requirements, I will pay what I need to, and sleep with my new light on the couch.

I've looked at the Fenix TK10, the SF E2DL and 6PLD, the Nitecore Extreme and Defender, and the new LF5XT, but I'm sure there are other models out there.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

I was going to suggest Surefire E2DL, Surefire 6P or 6PD with Malkoff M60 drop in (235+ lumens), or Fenix Tk10, but you've already have that on your list.

If you want something of budget, you could consider Solarforce L2. Some consider it to be a great clone of Surefire 6P. I find the bezel a little too aggressive for my liking, and I don't get the same feeling when I'm holding a Solarforce L2 vs a SF 6P.

You could also consider Jetbeam Jet-III pro that uses 18650 batteries, but it's reverse clicky with non-crenalated bezel.

That's all I could think of at the moment, you'll have tons of other members chiming in shortly. Good luck

w143

Newly Enlightened
May I know what is the application/purpose for tactical bezel? I always wonder is that tactical bezel design just for rugged look or it has its function.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, the purpose of the tactical bezel is to put nice holes in my front pockets. :grin2:

It was supposed to be designed for self-defense purpose, but mostly, it's just cool looking (I actually don't like them). Some claims that with a little training, you could make it an effective kubaton for close quarter combats. I have no self-defense training, so the only person I'm going to hurt with the tactical bezel is myself.

Edit: we're getting more and more members here at CPF. Awesome. :welcome:

Edit Again: I just realized that today is the fourth time I used :welcome: <- this little guy.

May I know what is the application/purpose for tactical bezel? I always wonder is that tactical bezel design just for rugged look or it has its function.

Last edited:

Brigadier

Enlightened
I also like tactical bezels because it lets you know if you've set the flashlight down on the bezel and left it on.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's good to have too. I'll take what I said back ... it's not that I don't like tactical bezel ... I don't like it when they make it overly aggressive. Too pointy for my liking.

I also like tactical bezels because it lets you know if you've set the flashlight down on the bezel and left it on.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
you said you want the tactical bezel for a flashlight's use as a small weapon yes?

I think, if the Variable Output is not critical, my ultimate strike bezel based light would be a Surefire C2 with http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2894

i know colour doesnt match, but i can tell you, thats would be one hell of a painful bezel....i have one, although i have never actually used it.

alternatively, the meanest strike bezel i have ever seen on a pocket light is
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1284
and the bezel is this
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1318

other then that, i think either the Nitecore Defender Infinity, or the Nightcore Extreme will fit your requirements, both have what would be fairly painful bezels, but they might not be long enough for escrima pupose.

i think, honestly, what you need is a surefire 9P with a malkoff and the head i linked from lighthound. you just wouldnt have variable output

Crenshaw

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ouch. Looking at these bezel makes me cringe. I don't want to be messing with you Crenshaw.

you said you want the tactical bezel for a flashlight's use as a small weapon yes?

I think, if the Variable Output is not critical, my ultimate strike bezel based light would be a Surefire C2 with http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2894

i know colour doesnt match, but i can tell you, thats would be one hell of a painful bezel....i have one, although i have never actually used it.

alternatively, the meanest strike bezel i have ever seen on a pocket light is
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1284
and the bezel is this
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1318

other then that, i think either the Nitecore Defender Infinity, or the Nightcore Extreme will fit your requirements, both have what would be fairly painful bezels, but they might not be long enough for escrima pupose.

i think, honestly, what you need is a surefire 9P with a malkoff and the head i linked from lighthound. you just wouldnt have variable output

Crenshaw

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
just to inforce my opinion, i have a TK10, its heavy so you have a lot of power in the palm of your hand and it can take a beating. i think it has a a little too big of a head, just larger than an ASP baton. i just bought a 6PD LED with K2 upgrade and it looks like it could be a winner, minus the multi-levels...

Edit: plus the TK10 bezel is mostly for seeing if it is on or not when standing on its head (since it doesnt do a tail stand) the crenelations dont seem to be nearly good enough for self defense purposes. right now im just using it as my bike light and another in my truck light.

Last edited:

kageneko

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming! I really appreciate the options I'm getting.

As far as the bezel size is concerned, it doesn't need to be too long, and I would prefer dull to sharp. A distinct raised ridge to amplify strikes or provide enough pressure through skin to get to very sensitive nerve endings is sufficient. Also, since I generally try to disable an assailant's ability to attack, I would normally be taking out hands/fingers/wrists/elbows/knees before striking at areas that could be construed as lethal, such as ribs/jaw/throat/head/eyes/chest area around the xyphoid process, etc.

A quick flash of light into the eyes, a debilitating strike to the side of the knee, wrist, and/or elbow, and I can walk away safely, knowing that my would-be attacker will not have the will to continue. If it comes to it, I'll resort to breaking a rib or two, but the overriding factor is surviving the encounter while being legally clear of excessive force issues. Any encounter that required me to escalate along the force continuum is a bad situation already, and I would be relying on more than a flashlight to defend myself.

Besides, I wouldn't want some overzealous TSA screeners to see the flashlight bezel and automatically think "weapon!" Some bezel designs hide their purpose better than others. In this regard, the NDI, surefire, fenix, or similar bezel designs are ideal.

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ouch. Looking at these bezel makes me cringe. I don't want to be messing with you Crenshaw.
haha, the funny thing is, i bought the bezel, cos i saw it was $3, i thoguht what the heck, lets see if it fits anything. Sadly, it doesnt, and i have yet to buy the thing it DOES fit on....

actually, on seeing you palm size thingy, a 6P or C2 with the said bezel from LH might just do it. One of the members here is a bouncer at one of the clubs in my country...he carries a 9P + extender, two 18650 and that bezel+head. Talk about a mean light!

Crenshaw

w143

Newly Enlightened
For me, the purpose of the tactical bezel is to put nice holes in my front pockets. :grin2:

It was supposed to be designed for self-defense purpose, but mostly, it's just cool looking (I actually don't like them). Some claims that with a little training, you could make it an effective kubaton for close quarter combats. I have no self-defense training, so the only person I'm going to hurt with the tactical bezel is myself.

Thanks for the info. Here is the basic Kubotan guide I found at youtube:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=OeyuKW2qW4E

kageneko

Newly Enlightened
The once cell lights such as the E1B, the NDI, and the Extreme will probably be too small.

yeah, after looking at the sizes on those lights, they all will be too small. The light needs to be narrow enough for EDC, but long enough that at least a half inch sticks out when I hold it centered on my palm. The intent is to use it like a Koppo Stick when needed.

Based on the suggestions and my own research, there doesn't seem to be a "perfect light" for me. There are some obvious trade offs I will have to live with. Either the light is too large in diameter, or I want more light output, or run time, or the flashlight is too long for EDC, or too short for defense use, or the light doesn't have instant on brightness, etc. :shrug:

With that said, keep the suggestions coming. I am researching as each new suggestion is posted. I still haven't had a chance to really sit down and narrow my choices to 2 or 3 that I can directly compare.

If I had to choose right now, I would be deciding between the E2DL and the new LF5XT, but even those aren't perfect (the LF5XT is slightly short for what I want, and the E2DL is slightly long, with a huge gap in output that is crying for a medium output mode for some extended run time with decent brightness).

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
IMO a P60 accepting light, like the 6P(or similar), should work well for this. Easily upgradeable, pretty tough when a good drop-in is used, easily upgradeable, good size. Also many have a crenelated bezel.

But the main problem here would be modes. Many of them would require multiple tapping to change modes. You can couple them(single mode drop-ins) with a good multimode tailcap.

:welcome:

I hope you like posting.

Mdinana

Enlightened
Maybe one of the Olight T20 or T25? It's a bit too think for 1" rings if you want to mount on a weapon though. Good throw, about 225 lumens with the 123 version, not overly long or heavy. While it has 5 modes, you adjust between them with a twist of the head, but still have the forward clicky capability of flashing the light quickly. Once you decide which mode you like most, you can turn it on directly to that (in my case, high).

I don't believe it has a strike bezel.

blinder switch

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming! I really appreciate the options I'm getting.

As far as the bezel size is concerned, it doesn't need to be too long, and I would prefer dull to sharp. A distinct raised ridge to amplify strikes or provide enough pressure through skin to get to very sensitive nerve endings is sufficient. Also, since I generally try to disable an assailant's ability to attack, I would normally be taking out hands/fingers/wrists/elbows/knees before striking at areas that could be construed as lethal, such as ribs/jaw/throat/head/eyes/chest area around the xyphoid process, etc.

A quick flash of light into the eyes, a debilitating strike to the side of the knee, wrist, and/or elbow, and I can walk away safely, knowing that my would-be attacker will not have the will to continue. If it comes to it, I'll resort to breaking a rib or two, but the overriding factor is surviving the encounter while being legally clear of excessive force issues. Any encounter that required me to escalate along the force continuum is a bad situation already, and I would be relying on more than a flashlight to defend myself.

Besides, I wouldn't want some overzealous TSA screeners to see the flashlight bezel and automatically think "weapon!" Some bezel designs hide their purpose better than others. In this regard, the NDI, surefire, fenix, or similar bezel designs are ideal.

From your quote here, it sounds like a SureFire E2DL would be right up your alley. I wish we had these when I was in the Army.