A few basic Laser Questions

lifeson99

Newly Enlightened
I have owned a Green Pen 50 mW laser for years and I love it. But I never looked into the various types you can buy. Here are my questions:

what is needed to drive those tiny "lipstick tube - sized" laser modules they sell for $3 to $4 ? (Example of a $3 Red Laser module Here) Just apply voltage and laser beam turns on ? Or do you need a special driver and circuitry ?

Why does DealExtreme have a bunch of these small, sized Red laser modules but no Green ones ?

if for the cheapies, all you need is to apply voltage - then what is the circuit board for in those other models where you get a metal rectanglulare box with an external circuit board? (Example Here) Obviously you cannot apply voltage directly to the laser itself, but instead apply voltagfe to the circuit board. There are quite a few components on the board, and if all you need to drive the tiny $3 module is voltage . . . what does this circuit board do with the more expensive models?

Lastly, if you see a $3, 15 mW Red laser and then see a more expensive 2-piece (metal box with laser diode and external circuit board) unit that is also a Red 15 mW laser. What is the main difference that makes the box/circuit board more desireable?

I know these questions are "Lasers 101" but I am trying to learn about these devices. Thanks;

ls