runtime test: P1D CE Q5 on TURBO...VERY HOT

Joshatdot

Enlightened
After 10 mins I went to move the light so I could not see the gleam...

MAN ITS HOT!...is this normal? I could not hold it more than 2 secs before it became TOO hot on my fingers.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
yup, they dont reccommend running it for long periods on turbo for that reason. The light is too small to heatsink it properly.

so for God's sake! dont kill that Silver P1D please! :eek:

Crenshaw

Joshatdot

Enlightened
It turned off at around 30mins...gona stick it in the fridge.

It wasn t too hot, it was not hot enuff to burn me..well maybe if i was holding it in my hand all 30 mins on turbo.

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those lights aren't meant to tail stand (or lay around) on TURBO, they are meant to be in your hand. Your hand acts as additional heat sinking. If you are doing a run time test on turbo and you don't want to hold it, put it in a glass of cool water which would act like your hand holding it. Or maybe put a fan on it. :)

Joshatdot

Enlightened
Those lights aren't meant to tail stand (or lay around) on TURBO, they are meant to be in your hand. Your hand acts as additional heat sinking. If you are doing a run time test on turbo and you don't want to hold it, put it in a glass of cool water which would act like your hand holding it. Or maybe put a fan on it. :)

I checked the battery just now, it has 3.48v ... at the start if the test it was 4.13v

I thought about some water in glass thing or something. I wish I had some way of testing the runtime in the fridge.

Good news the light still works after I cooled it down in the freezer.

Yapo

Enlightened
wow...i have a P1D CE P4 that i run on protected rcr123 so it loses its modes till the voltage drops but it's never gotten hot enough to the point where its to hot to touch. But then again i dont think i've ever left it on without my hand around it for more than 5 mins and also as the brightness is the same on all levels for most of the battery i either just have it on primary mode that slowly and unnoticably dims down to half the output over 1hr+ or on low if i want to "try" save power but that has to pass by high mode

ScubaSnyder

Enlightened
I have run my P4 P1D for an hour strait on turbo no hand, the light is fine, I have used this thing more than any other because its beat up, I have not tried this with the Q2 or Q5's though.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have run my P4 P1D for an hour strait on turbo no hand, the light is fine, I have used this thing more than any other because its beat up, I have not tried this with the Q2 or Q5's though.

the warnings only came out with the later Q5 versions IIRC

Crenshaw

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
You did this test on a rechargeable?! :eek:

Yeah, in addition to the light just tailstanding (no hand to help keep it cool), it was running a 3.7v lithium ion? :) No wonder it got hot. The light isn't really designed for 3.7v lithium ions.