L0D CE batterie problems

jasonvk77

Newly Enlightened
I got my L0D CE today and ive been using ultrafire 3.6v lithiums in it for about 20 mins.It runs perfectly in all modes and i am impressed with the brightness and throw.:D

I have one small problem,after i tested my 3.6v rechargeable in it when i put new energizer E2's into the L0D ce it lights up as much a dim glow stick(hardly vissible).:confused:

heres the picture of it running on new energizer E2's
http://blufiles.storage.live.com/y1...r_v6rS7f0ki8Bjm4R05YP7omWkI-LCJ-RkAx-OC8iwwjs

And heres the picture of it running on new 10440 500mA 3.6v
http://blufiles.storage.live.com/y1...cvENKcQ3T3nzcuUk2S2eeRZ4ECuL0lv5r3Us24qi8vnA8

WHAT HAPPENED?

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if you have damaged the boost circuit so it is now permanently direct-drive. If this is the case, then it will be direct-driving at 1.7 volts, which would glow about as brightly as shown. Try another primary to be sure.

jbviau

Enlightened
Hmm, assuming this is a permanent problem, I hope you bought from Lighthound rather than Fenix-Store. Only Lighthound will cover damage from using 10440s in an L0D, if I remember right. Sorry to hear about your bad experience!

Mr.Urahara reloaded

Newly Enlightened
well, this is what can happen if you use batteries not intended to use with this light....:sick2:
The boost-circuit went :poof:.
I would say learn from it and buy a new one and just use normal AAAs.

MfG Mr.Urahara

Gunner12

Flashaholic
1.7v won't light a white LED, so the boost circuit is still working, but how well?

Try a new battery, if it is still that dim, then you have burnt out most of the boost circuit.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy another L0D, and don't exceed 3.3V input. Use your current one with 3.7V cells.

Next time, if you want the light to not break, don't exceed the manufacturers specifications >.<

Marduke

Flashaholic
This is the first time I've heard of one damaged with a 10440.

Which is one reason I'm slightly suspicious. His NDI was also "dim" in comparison to his LOD on 10440's, so I'm wondering if the LOD just looks dim compared to what it looks like on 10440's, but really it's doing like it's supposed to.

If you have it pumping out the lumens on a Li-Ion, then stick a AAA back in there, of course it's going to appear very dim.

Mr.Urahara reloaded

Newly Enlightened
@Marduke

look at his pictures in the first post, you can clearly see that on normal AAAs
it is only glowing, like GID.

I wonder how many have fired the Boost-Circuit in their LOD but haven't ever tried a normal AAA after using 10440. I bet there will be some "what the heck happend to my LOD, i swear i didn't do anything to it!"

MfG Mr.Urahara

Marduke

Flashaholic
@Marduke

look at his pictures in the first post, you can clearly see that on normal AAAs
it is only glowing, like GID.

I wonder how many have fired the Boost-Circuit in their LOD but haven't ever tried a normal AAA after using 10440. I bet there will be some "what the heck happend to my LOD, i swear i didn't do anything to it!"

MfG Mr.Urahara

Which really means nothing. The second picture doesn't look like 180+ lumens either. Both pictures look dark in the background. Unless you know exactly how the camera was set, you can make a 700 lumen P7 look like four lightning bugs having a group hug.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think the confusion comes about by the input voltage spec.

now it reads a max. of ~ +3.3VDC. i have an XL spreadsheet that i've been building for over two years now. somewhere, many moons ago (not necessarily 2+ yrs ago in this particular case of the L0D-CE/Q4 max. Vin, but still some months ago), i read, and placed into the Spreadsheet, a max of +3.6VDC for Cree-based L0D's. now, even if this higher number is correct and not a typo on my part, this is still a far cry from >4VDC that the Li-ion might have "off the charger".

the +3.6VDC-in value might lead one to conclude that a Li-ion, whose nominal voltage is often specified as +3.7VDC, and i've even seen +3.6VDC as meaning in some cases, not necessarily the Fenix L0D-CE/Q4, Li-ion, as "Li-ion capable", so to speak.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
I believe the spec'd max Vin is 3.3v (Lighthound says 3.6v). Lighthound is selling "10440 capable" LOD's, but I'm wondering if they meant LiFePO4 and not Li-Ion

You would definitely need to let a Li-Ion cell rest for about 24 hours prior to installing.

Last edited:

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lighthound was selling 10440 capable LODs when they were first introduced. Were the LiFePO4 available then? I don't recall.;

edit; just thinking, LiFePO4 are protected cells. 10440 are too small for a protection circuit board.

Last edited:

Dynacolt

Enlightened
I've been running 10440s in my LOD for ages now, always charged to 4.1v.
After reading this thread I tried a primary AAA - no probs so far, all levels working fine, nice and bright :)

Dave.