SureFire Turbo-Head Shootout

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Before you ask, I was unable to take any pictures, so I'll describe the testing the best I can. The test was with a SureFire 9p (old-style), with 3-new SF cells and the N2 lamp. The same N2 LA was used in each TH.

The turbo-heads consisted of the KT-2, SRTH and the old 3" tubo-head. Testing did not last long, since the obvious results were so one-sided. Let me first mention that all of the turbo-heads did peform as advertised. They produced a more narrow beam that threw further than the stock bezel/lamp assembly which came with the light.

That being said, all turbo-heads are not created equal.

Beam Quality:
1st place - SRTH
2nd place - KT-2
3rd place - 3"

Comfort/Feel:
1st place - SRTH
2nd place - 3"
3rd place - KT-2

Throw:
1st place - SRTH
2nd place - 3"
3rd place - KT-2

I was surprised by the performance of the 3" or should I say lack of performance. Even though I have the 3" 2nd place in some areas, the difference between 1st and 2nd place was quite significant. After several weeks of research, I've heard very good things about the 3". So much, that I made finding and obtaining one a priority. I'm now regret that decision and consider it time wasted. What can I say about the KT-2? It's the only one that's pyrex. It's the heaviest. It's the most uncomfortable feeling one, while on the light. The SRTH, quite frankly, kicks serious *** on the 9p, the 6p and the E2 + E2C configuration. The size of the SRTH is perfert for the 9p. It looks like a squished-down Ultra-Stinger as it relates to size and form-factor.

Well, that's it I guess. In the upcoming days, look for a brand-new 3" and KT2/BLACK up for sale in the B/S/T forum. Feel free to PM me anytime, if interested.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Very interesting Nascar! Now I guess I need to get a SRTH to try with the LED's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have it on a good authority that the actual geometery of the reflector in the KT and the SRTH are the same. Hummm... I wonder if focal point of reflector to mating surface of LA is the same for both heads. *Something* sure seems to be different????

- Don

PS- E-mail on its way......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Very interesting and though you did not post pics, I like the way you presented the results! Makes me want to get a SRTH!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Ray,

I guess your e-mail server doesn't like mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif E-mail was returned.

- Don

PS. PM never notifies me so I don't use it. Oh well.........

Catdaddy

Enlightened
Which version of the 3" did you use. I have found that the one with the "lip" on the outer edge is much much better thant the "bell" shape.
John

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I didn't realize there were different versions of the 3". I'll take a look tonight and let you know.

Don, the e-mail thing may have been a fluke. I've never had trouble getting mail from you in the past. Try again using the address in my profile.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are the two different 3" heads
Turbo-SBS-2.jpg
Turbo-SBS-3.jpg
Turbo-Beams.JPG

The one on the left is the T1 and has a smother reflector it also throws much better. The one on the right is the T2 which still out throws my 2.5" SRTH but not by much. The T1 has some dark spots in the beam up close but at a distance they disappear. Also note the beam pics are reversed the T1 is on the right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Blikbok

Enlightened
Is the 105 lumen N2 lamp the only bulb which can be fitted to the C/P series turboheads?

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Blikbok said:
Is the 105 lumen N2 lamp the only bulb which can be fitted to the C/P series turboheads?

[/ QUOTE ]
The KT1, KT2, SRTH and 3" will all hold the following N1, N2, MN15, MN16, MN60, MN61, and N62. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my pair of 3" TH came with a thin plastic adhesive washer that fits between the LA and the mating flange on the TH. Use of this spacer makes the N2 beam slightly tighter than my SRTH beam. Without the spacer, the 3" beam is a little wider than the SRTH.

Different TH's have differing degrees of orange peeling on the surface. My 3" TH's have a very slight peeling.

I could point out that both the 3" and the SRTH hav tighter N2 beams than does my 12 PM TH. Not surprisingly, the 12 PM, which was designed for the N62, has the cleanest beam of the three types with the N62.

I do not have a KT2 for comparison.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Here are two major threads on SureFire turboheads. Note that any two turboheads, even if exactly similar in size and design, will almost never cast identical beams. Even SureFire, with its admirably close manufacturing tolerances cannot guarantee exactitude with an image/beam enlarged thousands of times when projected over distance.

Design changes along with this variability may sometimes skew turbohead comparison tests with, for instance, SRTH's occasionally outperforming T1/T2's. However, I have not seen this occur with the KT2, at least when running the N2.

SUREFIRE TURBOHEAD DISAPPOINTS

A MAJOR STEP FORWARD: LPS' COMPACT TURBOHEAD

Brightnorm

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i recently tried out an M3T and was very umimpressed. throw was too narrow and not much at that with HOLA. the standard lamp was even worse. i think the 3 cell sf's really shine with their hola lamps. their standard lamps don't *seem* that much more than the P60.

i'll be running a hola in my M3 with standard bezel unless i know ahead of time i'll need more runtime.

Size15's

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
jtivat said:
The KT1, KT2, SRTH and 3" will all hold the following N1, N2, MN15, MN16, MN60, MN61, and N62. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

There are five major types of TurboHead:
T 3" (of which there are atleast two versions) (T1/T2/T4/T5)
T-62 2.5" aka "SRTH" (LPS sells this)
"12PM" 2.5" (12PM/12ZM/L120M[Classic Leopard]
KT 2.5" (KT1/KT2/KT5)
Millennium TurboHead 2.5" (of which there are atleast two versions) (KT4/KM501/LU15/LU20)

All these TurboHeads will fit the following Lamp Assemblies.(Please note that you may not be able to mate them with the required body to power them)

N1 (2 SF123A)
N2 (3 SF123A)
N4 (B65)
N5 (B90)
N62 (4 SF123A)

MN15 (3 SF123A)
MN16 (3 SF123A)

MN60 (4 SF123A)
MN61 (4 SF123A)

MN20 (6 SF213A)
MN21 (6 SF213A)

The N3 Lamp Assembly only fits on the T3 for 9N or KT3 for 9AN.

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Blikbok

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
jtivat said:

[/ QUOTE ]

So those are 6, 9, 9, 9, 12, 12, and 12v lights, respectively?

And back on topic, so the M3 and M6 have different Turboheads than the other lights?

Size15's

Flashaholic
The Millennium TurboHead is feature on the following SureFires

M3T
M4
M6
M500AB
M510AB
M511AB
M520AB
M560AB
M570AB
M500B
M510B
M511B
M520B
M560B
M570B
M900AB
M910AB
M97 [variations]
M98 [variations]
Leopard Light

KT4
KM501
LU15
LU20

I think that's about it...

Al

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Has anyone here tried the MN16 HOLA with the SRTH? I like the idea of being able to have a brighter SRTH than 105 lumens. How is the focus with this LA compared to the N2? Help!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif
What about a more durable lens than the std. lexan one on the SRTH? Maybe Chris over at Flashlightlens.com might have something... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

***edit***
Never mind on the MN16. I called Wayne at LPS, and he said he's tried it, but got horrible beam results (black hole).