Forward Clicky for Fenix P2D

chaosmagnet

Newly Enlightened
I put this https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_40&products_id=465 on my P2D, and I'm very impressed.

Do not buy this switch if you like to tailstand your light, or if you don't own a pair of needlenose pliers. If, on the other hand, you have $9 and three minutes to spare, this makes the P2D pretty damn close to perfect as a small EDC light.

Pros:
  • Switch sticks out a bit more, so it's easier to activate
  • Pairs better with a handgun, especially in Turbo mode
  • Great positive feel to the switch, just like the original reverse clicky
  • Easy to install
  • Inexpensive
  • Slightly easier to change modes when turning light on
  • Great service from FenixStore.com
Cons:
  • A bit easier to activate the light accidentally
  • Will not tailstand
  • Click switch is pretty loud (just as loud as the original)
  • Slightly harder to change modes when light is on
This wouldn't make a good duty light for police officers, soldiers or security guards, but as a backup or for concealed carry by private citizens, it's hard to beat.

gunga

Flashaholic
I'm considering this but I'm still not sure why a forward clicky is an advantage to this type of multimode light?

You can pulse on turbo, but if you do it again in less than 2-3 seconds, you are on strobe.

If you do it on low, you will quickly scroll through modes.

I wouldn't mind hearing more opinions as to why a forward clicky is an advantage on this type of interface?

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love being able to SILENTLY cycle through levels without ever having to click it on. Reverse-clickies need to be clicked twice (once on, then once off) whenever you need any light, where you only need to click the momentary when you need light on for a longer time or need to put it down while on.

And most use of lights for me is for just a few seconds, so momentary is perfect.

In all other aspects it is just like a reverse clicky.

FrankW438

Newly Enlightened
I put one of those switches on one of my L1D's, and I like it a lot. It's a great improvement over the reverse clicky, in my opinion.

But, it's not perfect. I prefer to use my flashlight in short momentary bursts. In turbo mode, it will switch to strobe if you don't wait long enough between momentary bursts. That's kind of frustrating.

It's not a perfect solution, but I like the forward-clicky much much better than the reverse-clicky that it came with.

-- Frank

kindred_spirits

Newly Enlightened
Hmm... this sounds interesting. Any threads detailing the swap of the switch on Fenixes? I want to put this in my P3D Q5, but I have no idea how to.

FrankW438

Newly Enlightened
It unscrews pretty easily. Use needle nose pliers. Open them slightly and put each tip in one of the dimples on either side of the spring in the tail cap. Swap out the rubber boot and the switch. There is a little black plastic spacer you need to keep.

I think it took me all of five minutes. If it wasn't past my bedtime, I'd post pictures for you.

-- Frank