LED light to match and replace Surefire G3 Incandescent?

_Shawn_

Newly Enlightened
Basically I want to get as close to incan color for outdoor use with the performance of a LED... I've replaced too many incan bulbs.

Please help me diced on a light to replace my Surefire G3 Incandescent (p90).

I use my G3 when hiking and walking to spot coyots, skunk and to find the elusive beagle when he breaks free for the leash. (my primary light will be a photon II, or headlamp, or fenix L1D/L2D with filter)

The top requirements are:

1. Need a good excuse to get a new Surefire! I just like the way they feel.
2. Lots of throw (100 to 300 yards, like the G3).
3. Long runtime on low (two levels).
4. No larger than the G3, smaller is better.
5. Trying to stay stock.

My top picks currently are:

Surefire E2DL
Surefire E1B
Surefire Optimums when it comes out? $$$$ ouch!
Surefire L2

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're looking for close to incan. color, then you won't find it with SureFire LEDs. The Inova T series has a very consistent warm tint because of the emitters they use. Take a look at that.

_Shawn_

Newly Enlightened
What about a dropin for your current G3? No more bulbs to replace. Find one that can run on 7.2-12.6v and you can run pretty much any cell combination with it. You'll get some good rechargable runtime on a couple 17500's.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/193992

I will be doing a LED or incan drop in soon. When I do, I'm going to get SF 6P or 9P. I'll be keeping my M2 and G3 incan and use the leftover bulb on one of those two. (and i don't have any RCR123s at this time, all primary cells)

Also I really want two levels, this is the main reason for trying to find a new light. (still trying to justify a new Surefire)

I'll have to give a little on the tint. My Fenix Q5 L1D/L2D is a good enough tint for my needs but it is lacking in the throw.

jake25

Enlightened
side note for one minute

can the G3 really throw 900 feet? seriously? i find a few people who are really off on their estimates of distance. just a gut check

I think getting a 6P and a Dereelight Q2 5A Dropin is supposed to be a bit warmer btw.

_Shawn_

Newly Enlightened
side note for one minute

can the G3 really throw 900 feet? seriously? i find a few people who are really off on their estimates of distance. just a gut check

I think getting a 6P and a Dereelight Q2 5A Dropin is supposed to be a bit warmer btw.

I may be a little off on my distance estimate. Just guessing. :whistle: But i do know that it has the throw that works for me. It is pretty dark in the areas that I use it in (open fields) That may be part of the reason I think it really reaches out.

Now that i think about it, when i was looking for the runaway Beagle in a neighborhood with a few streetlights, the G3 was good for about a block or so. Probably all of the ambient light...

hmmmm, maybe i need to get a better leash instead of a new flashlight.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Does it have to be a Surefire?

There are other companies out there that, humm, I'm hesitant about saying this, might be close or match Surefire in quality(please, I'm not trying to start an argument, you know who you are).

If you want a good spotting LED light, the current best stock one would be the Dereelight DBS.

A good P60 type drop-in might work too, but the G3 is a polymer body, so heat buildup might be a problem.

ElGreco

Newly Enlightened
A Malkoff in a 9P or 6P would seem like a reasonable choice (even better if you want to stick with the G3 form factor). The M60 throws like the P90 incan, but has a much brighter corona around the hotspot for midrange work, while still maintaining good flood.

If your looking for a reason to get a 6P or 9P, the Malkoff would certainly be a reason to do so.

_Shawn_

Newly Enlightened
Does it have to be a Surefire?

There are other companies out there that, humm, I'm hesitant about saying this, might be close or match Surefire in quality(please, I'm not trying to start an argument, you know who you are).

If you want a good spotting LED light, the current best stock one would be the Dereelight DBS.

A good P60 type drop-in might work too, but the G3 is a polymer body, so heat buildup might be a problem.

It does not have to be a Surefire. I just know that I like Surefires. Other brands are also good, even Maglite.

I'll check out the Dereelite. If i do a drop in I'll be sure to get a non poly head or get an entirely new host.