Looking for an optic

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for an optic for my SF 9P with a LF EO-9 drop-in. I need it to be fairly durable, and give me about a 3ft beam at 10-15 ft, with little to no spill.

Any suggestions?

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me clarify, I'm not looking for a replacement drop-in, I'm looking for a lens replacement. Flat pyrex for a lens to give a beam like I described in post #1

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you don't mind be asking, what will this be used for.

To have a spill free beam, you would first have to remove the reflector. Incans will also loose a lot of light if you use a lens, much of the light will be absorbed by the inside of the bezel and if you use a reflector, you will get spill beam.

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
Let me clarify, I'm not looking for a replacement drop-in, I'm looking for a lens replacement. Flat pyrex for a lens to give a beam like I described in post #1

It's not physically possible to get the beam you want from a flat optical window. (flat surfaces aren't lenses)

If you must have a flat window, then you'd need something like a Fresnel lens or a holographic optical element. Both of these would be custom parts and highly expensive.

If you can compromise on a flat front face, then an aspheric lens can probably do what you want but would likely need to be custom manufactured to the correct focal length for the beam pattern you want. Again, highly expensive unless there's a stock aspheric lens out there with just the right focal length and diameter.

An M60 is your best bet.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't need a flat front, I was simply describing the lens I have now. I simply want to tighten up the spill as much as I can. While I'd like a Malkoff, it's not what I'm looking for here. I just want something to replace the lens with to give me a tighter beam. It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to tighten up the spill of the EO-9.

I'm curious why adding a lens with a reflector would give you more spill. Shouldn't the lens focus the light to about the same point?

jake25

Enlightened
I think what you're looking for is an aspheric lens

i have one on my ROP and it tightens up the beam maybe 20% at most, it wont give you a laser beam like CREE's will.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not going to have the greatest beam because a filament is a large light source. Sure, they work, but aspheric (planoconvex) lenses work best with a reflectorless LED and have to be focused well.