Lowes Task Force 3W "CREE" 2C 150 + lumens

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was at my brother and sister in laws residence this past Friday evening when they lost power. I just so happened to have my Streamlight Key Mate on a lanyard around my neck and switched it on. I don't normally "everyday carry", but I sort of had a hunch given the weather report. Anyway, my brother in law breaks out a couple of incandescent flashlight and my sister in law light a few candles. My mother in law made the comment that my Streamlight Key Mate was brighter than the "big" flashlight. Anyway, I am kind of sporadic about posting here because I have other hobbies, too (GPS, amateur radios, scanners, computers, home entertainment electronics, ATVs, horses, etc.) Anyway I was thinking that I really owe it to my brother and sister in law, and possibly my niece as well, to introduce them to some nice Cree flashlights that don't cost an arm and a leg. That leads me to recall that I bought both of my sons, who are scouts, each a Lowe's Task Force 3 watt Cree 2C cell flashlight for Christmas 2007. Anyway, since I haven't been following these forums lately, is this about the best choice for something that I can buy at a nearby neighborhood store, or has something surpassed this in price and/or performance. I do seem to recall a Ray-O-Vac some time back, but it seems like the consensus was the Lowe's outperformed the Ray-O-Vac. They would probably have one of these in each vehicle and possibly another one in the home. As an aside, I used to suggest to friends and family to keep a good reliable flashlight in each of their vehicles, that way they have it with when traveling and if they need it in the house they merely need to go out to the vehicle to get it. Obviously it is better to also have an additional one in the house, but not everybody takes their flashlights as seriously as we do here. I also programmed their SAME weather alert radio during that trip and I was almost going to suggest that they simply keep a flashlight near the weather radio under the theory that sometimes they lose power during severe weather and the weather radio will keep them informed, so when they go to check the weather radio the flashlight is right there.

Anyway, I am sorry this post is getting so long, but looking for some ideas. What would you guys get for family that is readily available at local brick and mortar stores?

prof student

Enlightened
Wally World just started carry a Collman's Cree Led light, that also has blue & red led for longer run time. It takes 3 AAA alkalines. Cost around $25. There have been a few post regarding that light. I think if you scroll through the general flahlight forum, you will see a frew threads about it.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a smaller form factor (2xAA), Walmart is carrying the Rayovac Sportsman Extreme 1W and 3W models. I seem to remember the latest model of the 3W had a Rebel emitter. My 3W (not rebel) claimed 80 lumens and obviously wasn't that but was a nice little light (till I donated the head to my parents foundation while using it in candle mode). About $25 for the 3W, and 19 for the 1W.

There's some decent small looking LED based lanterns at Walmart and other places too. Cheaper than another Task Force and maybe more familiar in form to the less light addicted, One of those for area lighting in an emergency might be nice.

Target has a pretty decent selection although nothing comes to mind. Might be worth a look if one is close.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO the 2C is a good choice, coupled with a MM and LED dropin for long runtime.

xmarkx88

Newly Enlightened
For under $30 dollars, the taskforce is probably going to be the brightest light that you will find in town. The coleman light at walmart seems it may be a good choice if you want to get them a more compact light. It is rated at 125 lumens from the emitter and states that it uses a cree led.