Looking to buy a few lights

Ender17

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm looking to buy a few flashlights, would like some recommendations since there are so many models, it's overwhelming.

Right now I have a Fenix Digital P1D Black Premium Q5 and I like it, but a little big for a keychain light.

I'm almost certainly getting a Fenix E01 for my keychain, and would also like a couple more.

Something to keep by the bed for those "WTF was that?" sounds. One thing I don't like about this P1D is there is no button, you have to twist it - is that commen on high end flash lights?

I'd also like a all around badass flashlight with a long throw distance, something to kinda showoff and that would be good outdoors in the forest or something.

I'm also considering the P3D Q5 as a kind of all around light just because I like this P1D, but I feel kinda like a Fenix whore buying only that brand :lol:

So if you guys could give me a short list of lights in each category to checkout, it would really help, thanks. I don't plan on spending more than $200-300 total

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
cant help you too much. i dont have a lot of experience but you are absolutely in the right place. :welcome: you will not regret being here (unless you have a tight budget, run while you can)

Ender17

Newly Enlightened
cant help you too much. i dont have a lot of experience but you are absolutely in the right place. :welcome: you will not regret being here (unless you have a tight budget, run while you can)

well I've been doing some searching and I've found about half a dozen lights I want :eek:

Fenix L0D for keychain

Zebralight H30-Q5 because it looks cool and is hands free

AmondoTech N30 for the big searchlight

Tiablo A9 or Dereelight DBS for throw, still can't decide

Fenix TK-10 for all around

Last edited:

generic808

Enlightened
You can't be considered a true flasholic without owning at least one P series Surefire. Probably the most versatile light out there.

generic808

Enlightened
I wouldn't consider a 6P a "replacement" for any of the lights you listed. It's an entirely different light than the one's you want. It's just very versatile; you can add a strike bezel, clickie tailcap, TnC Detonator, lanyards, extenders, etc. Or could always get a Polished_6P/6PD/9P :whistle:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

Fenix L0D Q4 (if you get this skip the E01 unless the long runtime is required). LSD NiMH preferred (Eneloops/RayOvac hybrids/Pre-charged NiMH).
Liteflux LF2 if you like to program your own levels.
I'm almost certainly getting a Fenix E01 for my keychain, and would also like a couple more.

Any SSC-P7 light. see
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2449743&postcount=4
Something to keep by the bed for those "WTF was that?" sounds.

The P2D is kinda like a P1D with a button.
One thing I don't like about this P1D is there is no button, you have to twist it - is that commen on high end flash lights?

Dereelight DBS V2 w/ 3SD Cree XR-E 5A Q2 (SMO)
Not the brightest Dereelight but "Emitter: Cree XR-E Neutral Warm White 5A Q2, it's highest rank at this tint, good color rendering, recommended for outdoor usage, especially after raining."
I'd also like a all around badass flashlight with a long throw distance, something to kinda showoff and that would be good outdoors in the forest or something.

Take a look at this post.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2453659&postcount=27
In this thread
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/195805
The P3D is outclassed by all the other lights including the cheapo MTE SSC-P7 ($45 - referred to as a $30 emitter in a $15 flashlight). It's only advantage is it is more 'pocketable' than those other lights. But your P1D is even more pocketable.
The MTE 5 mode SSC-P7 will fit in a Nite-Ize Mini Pock-Its
I'm also considering the P3D Q5 as a kind of all around light just because I like this P1D, but I feel kinda like a Fenix whore buying only that brand :lol:

Both the Dereelight and the DX/Kai/Dae SSC-P7 lights require 18650 battery and charger.
The Elektrolumens SSC-P7 lights need high capacity D NiMH like 10,000-12,000 mAh. Those 2500 mAh Energizer Ds won't do.

LumenMan

Enlightened
I don't know what any of those things mean :embarrassed:

Check out the link that generic808 sent you. It shows the Strike Bezel, Z59 (clickie) tailcap, detonator etc. :)

The strike bezel is cool because it has "scallops" on the head (bezel). You can also get a R2 290 Lumen Drop In Lamp Upgrade for the P Series of Surefire lights (from some helpful CPF members :whistle::))

Gunner12

Flashaholic
well I've been doing some searching and I've found about half a dozen lights I want :eek:

Fenix L0D for keychain

Zebralight H30-Q5 because it looks cool and is hands free

AmondoTech N30 for the big searchlight

Tiablo A9 or Dereelight DBS for throw, still can't decide

Fenix TK-10 for all around

That seems pretty good,

The Liteflux LF2X might be a good choice instead of the L0D-CE Q4.

I'd pick the DBS because it throws a bit further then the A9 and is easier to upgrade.

The TK10 would work. A P60 accepting light with a forward clickie or momentary twistie would also work but the modes will work differently(this will depend on the drop-in placed in the light).

Ender17

Newly Enlightened
That seems pretty good,

The Liteflux LF2X might be a good choice instead of the L0D-CE Q4.

I'd pick the DBS because it throws a bit further then the A9 and is easier to upgrade.

The TK10 would work. A P60 accepting light with a forward clickie or momentary twistie would also work but the modes will work differently(this will depend on the drop-in placed in the light).

Is the LF2X button or twist on? I'm really not big on having to use both hands to turn on the flashlight.

Also, what's the difference between the "Tactical tailcap switch with momentary-on function" on the TK10 and a "forward clickie"?

Thanks to everyone for the welcomes and helpful comments.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Is the LF2X button or twist on? I'm really not big on having to use both hands to turn on the flashlight.

The LF2X is a twistie, but not the same way as L0D.
On LF2X your have 3 twist positions, off, P1 and P2.
Your can program the light level for both P1 and P2.

If your want some fancy functions, your have to twist back and forth between P1 and P2 a couple of times. The settings your can access includes: Strobe, SOS, voltage readout, programming and some more.

Ender17

Newly Enlightened
I'm gonna go ahead and order the Fenix L0D, E01, TK10, and Zebralight H30. Will try these out and then maybe get a or one of those cool Surefires.

The Coach

Enlightened
I keep a Surefire Kroma on the nightstand next to my bed and a LunaSol 27 on the bookcase. The Kroma is set on low red, so if I need to find something, I won't kill my night vision and if I hear a "WTF wa that" noise, I can hit the high white.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might I suggest checking out the Wolf-Eyes lights? I EDC a Raider, and I love it. The Raider or Rattlesnake would make a pretty good outdoors light, and fairly versitile.

The Nitecore Defender Infinity and Jetbeam I.B.S lights might be worth a look for EDC.

Cabela's has a knife/6P clone combo on sale for $20 in their bargain section :D

MaxIcon

Newly Enlightened
A lot depends on how you use a flashlight to check out bumps in the night. The tactical momentary-on switch is popular because you can partially press the button and get light without clicking it on, giving you very fast control. If there's a potential bad guy, you give a burst of light and check out the area, and it's (hopefully) off before they can orient to it and figure out where you are. This is pretty much the standard for this usage. I have to say, in many, many years of doing this, I've never found anything scarier than the cats, and hope it stays that way.

If you'd rather just turn on the light and use it to look around, a normal click-and-it's-on switch works fine for that. The plus of the tactical clickie is that you can use it either way, IMO.

I have a Fenix P2D and a Surefire G2 at my bedside. I use the P2D, which needs to be clicked on first, then switched through multiple modes, for doing stuff in the bedroom without waking anybody up. The multiple light levels are great, battery life is excellent, and you can stand it on end and bounce it off the ceiling while you do stuff.

The G2 is the "bump in the night" light, and the tactical switch is critical for that, plus the very simple operation. Hold it in one hand, and give a burst of light when you need it. A TK10 is a great modern version for that, with the plus of higher output if you need it. I wouldn't use a more complicated multi-mode light for checking out the house at night - I want one that is either on or off, with nothing in between, and no confusion when I'm half asleep. YMMV, of course, but simple is good when there might be trouble.

curlyfry562

Enlightened
A surefire w/ a strike bezel seems appropriate for a bump in the night light :

E2DL
M2
M3
M4
M6
6PLED

Check Ebay for better deals on the incans. Good luck :thumbsup:

Latest posts