Intova wide waterproof torch questions

Rainman

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

This is my first post here so bear with me if I posted it wrong or should have searched harder. I have search for a bit, but are unable to find my answers.

First off, I have recently bought a intova wide waterproof torch (http://www.intova.net/novawide.html) and I am inpressed with this flashlight. I'm going to take this with me on diving trips, and I'm very exited on the light it will give me. I didn't find any info on this light in these forums so I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it ?

I'm now running it with some basic (you call them 'primaries' I believe) cr123a I bought along with it. As these are quite expensive here in Europe, I'm looking into rechargable alternatives. At first I looked at rechargable rcr123a but I didn't like the low power these have. Looking through these forums I found I could also use 17670. I wonder if anyone has used these in this particular flash light (or it's smaller brother), and can tell me if the brightness and runtime is just as high as using primaries.

Also can you tell me the difference when running with protected and unprotected 17670, and why would you opt for one or the other (disregaring the price difference).

Thanks in advance for your help,

Cheers,

Rain

Last edited:

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
When running a protected Lithium ion cell of any size, there is a circuit which cuts off the power from the cell at a certain voltage. I believe they also protect the cell when charging. With an unprotected cell, you have to keep an eye on the light for any sign of dimming and turn it off immediately. When charging, it's best to monitor the voltage so that it does not exceed 4.2v. Charging or discharging too fast, as well as over charging the cell could lead to an explosion.

On another note, do you know if a single 3.7v cell will properly drive the light? Also, a 17670 might be too wide.

Last edited: