AAA light you prefer over the ARC?

straightblast

Newly Enlightened
Have bought many ARC AAA's, and like the light. Time to buy more for gifts and was wondering what light is out there in a similar size package that you prefer, and why? Thanks

Marduke

Flashaholic
Fenix E01

Better quality (Arc has gone downhill recently), excellent regulation, more efficient circuitry, all at less than 1/3 of the cost.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix E01

Better quality (Arc has gone downhill recently), excellent regulation, more efficient circuitry, all at less than 1/3 of the cost.
I don't have an Arc (too expensive) but the E01 I have is great. I'd rather have the E01 over the Arc at any cost. I prefer the longer runtime and better regulated circuit.

Mines been frozen in a block of ice while running off an alkaline cell and it kept running fine! Not that you will be doing that or anything...

gunga

Flashaholic
Fenix E01 (as everyone stated) is nice, does not crush batteries like the Arc. Tint is poor, but it's bright, cheap and quite well made.

I also waiting for a Stainless Peak to arrive, same price as an Arc! Also, peaks are available with snow leds, red leds etc...

I hope they are as well built as I've read. I've seen quite a few poorly constructed arcs lately, kinda sad...

:sigh:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO the ARC AAA is a great flashlight if you don't mind terrible purple beams. I have one on my keychain which has been there since they first came out. It works just as it did on day one but ias little of the type III finish left.
The beam still sucks.
IMHO the Fenix L0D is the best aaa light out there. I have a couple of the peak lights and they do imporve on the ARC light beam wise. They are brass and too heavy for keychain carry.
I much prefer the beam on the L0D of all AAA lights.
Yaesumofo

Gunner12

Flashaholic
For gifts I'd say something either high power and multimode(like the Fenix L0D-CE Q4 or Lureflux LF2X, but they can be too complex for some people), or something really simple like the Fenix E01 or similar.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix E01

I would not say the fenix is better quality, but is a great light for the money.

The issues with the ARC have been corrected.

My E01 is dimmer than the ARC, one of them is not potted as was the case with another board member. The fenix also has less spill, uses lesser grade o-rings, and uses a spring rather than foam, although some people see this as a plus. My experience with springs is that they disintegrate when the battery leaks. I also do not like how thin the positive Battery contact is on the E01 and wonder how long it will last. The anodizing is also better on the ARC. The Fenix is slightly bigger. However, it is big enough to notice the difference when handling the two lights.

This is not to put down the Fenix, Because it is a great light with much better runtime than the ARC for only $15.

mighty82

Enlightened
+1 for the LF2X. I don't like the L0D, I can't stand the damn pwm flickering. I have 2 of them myself, but they are rarely used.

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
MJ Extreme III - like the LF2, but brighter, more efficient, and uses the Rebel 100. I EDC it at all times. The only complaint I have about it and the Liteflux lights is the difficulty in switching modes, especially in the dark. I also really like the E01 but still carry my Arc too.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I'm probably in for a beating :twak: but I really like the LOD series. The ARC is often way to dim for what I'm doing but they're so small that I often carry ARC in one pocket and the LOD in the other. I only use the ARC for when my eyes are night adjusted such as bathroom breaks in the middle of the night.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I'm going to suggest the Fenix E01, solely because you said they were going to be "gifts". Chances are you're giving these to non-flashaholics. With the E01, you have the choice of a few different colors that will suit guys and gals perfectly. You have a nice solid light that runs on easy-to-obtain AAA cells. The E01 doesn't need a high powered cell light some of the other lights suggested. The E01 is also very simple and easy to use, without worry about programming or twisting too fast and getting caught up in "which mode am I in". Finally, you won't find a better "bang for the buck" light that won't hurt your wallet.

Like I said, based on this, the Fenix E01.

Lumenz

Enlightened
I am going to have to add another vote for the LiteFlux LF2X. I carry it with me daily. I gave my L0D to my girlfriend. If you want a flashlight that can be set the way you want it, it is a great flashlight. If you want a flashlight that is set the way the manufacturer wants it, then take any of the other AAA lights.