L0D-CE hard to twist

tusenkonstnar

Newly Enlightened
Although I have lubricated it is still very hard to operate with one hand, it simplys isn't smooth. I find that a bit anooying for such a little flashligt. When I used the Arc AAA I could always operate it with one hand.

Is this a normal problem or do I have a bad sample? Has it improved to the newer lights? (L0D-Q4)

Mr.Urahara reloaded

Newly Enlightened
Is it a new one or do you have it longer?

Have you cleaned the Threads? Sometimes there is dirt when i recieve a light that makes it harder to turn the threads.

Or just twist it a few dozen times, this could smooth out some sharp edges...

If nothing helps, sell it on MP and buy a new LOD Q4:nana:

MfG Mr.Urahara

tusenkonstnar

Newly Enlightened
Is it a new one or do you have it longer?

Have you cleaned the Threads? Sometimes there is dirt when i recieve a light that makes it harder to turn the threads.

Or just twist it a few dozen times, this could smooth out some sharp edges...

If nothing helps, sell it on MP and buy a new LOD Q4:nana:

MfG Mr.Urahara

Hello, I have had it for aboout a year. I have cleaned the threads completely and then put grease on it. Right now I'm thinking of giving it away to my brother and buy myself a new one but I don't want a q4 with the same issue. That is, I really want to be able to operate my L0D with ONE HAND.
Do I need to be lucky or is the quality on the L0D-Q4 good enough for that?

Illum

Flashaholic
if you bought it used the previous owner may have inadvertently cross-threaded the bezel once before and left a "rough edge" on a threaded area...Thats not something lube could help with. I personally think fenix's threads for 1AAA lights are too fine and every so often I find cross-threading and jamming inevitable...especially with cells installed.

If its a light bought NIB from fenix, it may be that the lube you are using are too low in viscosity for the application. [certain lube are for certain things, you don't use white lithium grease where axle grease is applied the same way you don't coat o-rings with petrol jelly but instead spray or apply silicone grease] Personally I use Nyogel [760G, but 779 works too] available from lighthound. 760G is a silica thickened, medium viscosity synthetic grease recommended by surefire in lubricating metal body lights.

Try cleaning out the bezel threads and the body threads by wiping it down with napkins, then clean it using rubbing alcohol. Allow it to dry before reapplication. If it still rough its beyond my expertise, should you be inclined to sell it on the forum, be upfront and honest about it. One mans baggage is another's blessing

hope this helps, cheers:thumbsup:

Last edited:

tusenkonstnar

Newly Enlightened
Hello!
I'm the first owner of the light. When cleaning the threads I have used a soft brush and alcohol so it has really been completely clean. I have also tried with different lubricants. So I'm quite sure thatthats not the problems but the actual threads.
So back to the question, does anyone recognise this problem on their L0D's ?
Or do I have a bad sample?

BR

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
does it stick right at the end just before it lights up? as in, you have to turn "past" whats normal in a sense, to get it to turn on?

it might be the epoxy in the head....using some kind of thin instrument to scrap off any excess you might see around the PCB

Crenshaw

gunga

Flashaholic
Have you tried changing the o-ring? Mine is smooth. I had to swap o-rings at first, sometimes the spare is thinner.

Does it spin easily when you remove the o-ring? If not, you have a funky sample.

EXCALIBUR1

Newly Enlightened
Hello!
I'm the first owner of the light. When cleaning the threads I have used a soft brush and alcohol so it has really been completely clean. I have also tried with different lubricants. So I'm quite sure thatthats not the problems but the actual threads.
So back to the question, does anyone recognise this problem on their L0D's ?
Or do I have a bad sample?

BR
It sounds like you have a bad sample. I cleaned and lubed my LOD Q4 like you did. One handed operation is smooth like "buttah."

geek4christ

Enlightened
My silicone grease makes my L0D hard to twist too. I use PTFE lube (more commonly known as Teflon) on the threads that I want to be able to run smoothly. I just apply a drop and then twist through the entire travel of the threads 4 or 5 times and it works really smoothly.

sb0007

Newly Enlightened
mine is butter smooth and one hand operate-able. looks like yours could be a bad example. I have had 4 fenix and none had any issues. Cant say the same for the jetbeams I have.