camping 18650 light

underconstruction

Newly Enlightened
Ok guys I thought you could help me out with this one. I am looking for a light for camping that runs on an 18650. I want a low low to preserve night vision and for good runtime. I don't want to spend much more than $50 but i might be willing to spend a little more for a quality product.

Oh yah, I also want the light to be able to stand up to a rainstorm.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
VB-16 is great light with low low and long runtime even on highest mode (about 3hrs). I recommend silver version with Cree Q5 or SSC (for more throw).

Wolf359

Enlightened
WF-400 3W Cree Q2 18650 it has a high mode that is bright with good throw and low mode that should preserve your night vision.Romisen RC-E4 3V~8V Romisen RC-E4 3V~8V Cree 2-Mode Flashlight Black (CR123A/18650) also has a high and low mode but not as bright as the wf 400 but lack the throw but maybe a better option thanks to the lower level.
WF-400 3W Cree Q2 LED Flashlight (18650) sku.6937 on dx just incase the link gets deleted you can search for it

Romisen RC-E4 3V~8V Cree 2-Mode Flashlight Black sku.3427

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had WF-400 as well. It is bright, throws better than VB-16 but throw in VB is good enough for most purposes (6500lux in SSC version) and runs 1 hour longer. Low mode is very bright - about 60 lumens is definitely not low low! VB-16 has 32 modes between 2-130 torch lumens (there's no noticeable between highest 8). It's not a issue because low-high ramping takes 2,5s.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
This different color is shiny black. It's not Mil-spec and probably not HA-III.
Mispec and HA-III on left and black from DX on right.

That's why I suggest silver HA-III:

andylondon

Newly Enlightened
If you're after a small 18650 light shorter than a Fenix P3D, but only fractionally wider, then the L-Mini from shinningbeam is an excellent choice. It has a low low and the beam profile can be changed from flood to spot by turning the bezel. It also comes with a glow in the dark switch cover and the outter body has knurling for a secure grip. The black version is a shiny type II hard anodising. This is a nice light for EDC or carrying in your backpack.

ergotelis

Enlightened
Go and get a TIablo A9 from the infamous shops, you will never regret it. Not only great throw for long distances but also candle mode available by removing the head.Of course build quality, efficiency are superb, better than everything mentioned here.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
IMO, the Tiablo would make a very poor camping light - the low mode is still extremely bright, and way too much throw.

The VB-16 would be an excellent camping 18650 light. The lowest levels on my SSC-modded CPF multi-level light (1st gen VB-16 sold in the CPFM by Wits' End) are considerably lower than than my Novatac 120P min 0.08 lumens. :thumbsup:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're willing to pay a bit more for a higher quality light I would recommend a Wolf Eyes Sniper. You can get it with a 2 mode cree Q2 to save a bit of money (instead of a more expensive Q5 or R2 bin.)

The light is built like a tank and will take on camping quite well. You can use 2 cr123's with them if you really need to in a pinch. The lights are modular and completely upgradeable. It's a bit larger than a Surefire 6P... so nice and compact.

And you get a nice CPF discount from Mike at PTS who rocks with customer service.

Give it some thought. :wave:

underconstruction

Newly Enlightened
The VB-16 comes in a seoul and q5 flavor. Any idea as to which is better? If they changed nothing but the emmiter the seoul might have a weird beam pattern.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
The VB-16 comes in a seoul and q5 flavor. Any idea as to which is better? If they changed nothing but the emmiter the seoul might have a weird beam pattern.

Seoul version was first so in theory it should be Cree in SSC reflector.:grin2:

But don't worry, Q5 has completely different reflector.

Not as deep as SSC and more textured so it has less throw. Beam is very nice, no rings, no artifacts. SSC is smoother but has less spill (and more throw).

underconstruction

Newly Enlightened
on the vb-16 i think more spill would be useful for camping. Although I do want something to work well for hiking too.

How about an E01 for my low light needs? I am worried that its small spill will be of limited usefulness outdoors though.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
E01 does not have limited spill. By the time the light is 3 or 4 metres ahead of you, you're lighting up a whole street.