Lightweight, perhaps upgradeable weaponlight?

Ryan7257

Newly Enlightened
I really can't decide! At first I wanted a Surefire 6PD to serve as a host for R2 drop-in, but it seems slightly heavy at 5.3 oz.

The G2 LED seemed like a decent option, weighs ~4.2oz, but has no forward clicky

The Ultrafire WF-502B (DX sku 3371) seems like a nice option at 3.8 oz, 18650 battery, accepts P60 drop-ins, forward clicky, and costs considerably less.
However, most weaponlight mounts accept 1" diameter lights, and I'm unsure of the dimension on the body of this Ultrafire.

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go with the Surefire G2 led and get a surefire forward clicky if that's important to you.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you expect to use the weapon/light combo for? Big difference between maybe a little night time varmint shooting and a life and death situation. Take a look at mounting on your particular weapon system, and how convenient it is to operate the light with a minimum of hand motion away from a stable firing position. If your needs include the chance of the potential target being armed (silly AK-47 wielding varmints) you don't want to be out of position when you light up and make yourself visible.

I went to look at the weight of the SF Scout series but they are off the market till the new model comes this "summer." All the SF Weaponlights are expensive, and the other models are heavier. There are lights built into vertical foregrips, including SureFires, that are convenient to operate. You might look for them if they work for your weapon. The Olight T-20 Tactical and Military versions are light weight and have a pressure switch tailcap available separately. The Olight might be a nice choice if you are on a budget - better than typical airsoft class lights, with remote pressure switch, but at a reasonable price. It's not a P60 host so not upgradeable, though.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI - A purpose-built mount is coming very soon for the Olight T20-T and T20-M.

We also still have some SF M600A Scouts in stock....

If you want a foregrip solution FAB makes a very cool Foregrip with 1" Flashlight adapter - there's a trigger on the foregrip to activate the light - works great with a G2/6P and pretty much any other 1" light.
LINK: http://www.batteryjunction.com/fab-defense-t-grip.html

Ryan7257

Newly Enlightened
http://www.vltor.com/images/mounts/mountedOCG1sm-800x600.jpg

That is one of the mounts I was looking into. It will be mounted upside-down from that picture because I use a 'thumb forward" grip. Requires minimal thumb movement to activate the light, and no tailswitch to get caught on brush. (pretty woodsy where I live).

http://www.vltor.com/images/vscout2-600px.jpg
Lightweight, but not upgradeable.

Purpose isn't fully defined, which is partially why I want upgrade ability. For now it will serve mostly as home defense role, with occasional uses on a bike and while hunting.

The latter two reasons are why I desire something lightweight.:twothumbs

Ryan7257

Newly Enlightened
I double-checked and you are correct. It just says clicky, so I suppose they are reverse clicky?