The inside: KD M@g Q5 Drop-in

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
I opened up my KD Q5 drop-in. Let the pictures tells the story.

The back of the Dropin where the driver used to be. The red and yellow heatshrink are there to add the length to the original cable which is a small black and yellow cables. The original cable is too short so i add more length to be usable for external driver.
DSCN7552.jpg

The two part driver.
The front side of the driver. The + and - to the LED are clearly indicated and where the cable to the LED used to be.
DSCN7553.jpg

The back side of the driver where alot of thermal compound is applied. probably the buck side?
the second part of the driver doesnt have any componen on it, it just a pass through board.
DSCN7555.jpg

Notice the small pedestal where the Q5 sits? it is small and alot of thermal compound there but the LED is not glued, it is being held by the friction.
DSCN7557.jpg

Other angle shows how the cables and led base are soldered.
DSCN7558.jpg

Hope you guys enjoys it. thanks for looking.

Regards
Rizki P

Last edited:

Furrballz

Newly Enlightened
Rizky_p, any comments on the heatsinking of the Q5? Does the Q5 run very hot? You've mentioned that the Q5 LED is actually held in place by friction and heat is dissipated via the thermal compound. However, I've read that too much thermal compound can be a bad thing. :confused: Thanks!

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rizky_p, any comments on the heatsinking of the Q5? Does the Q5 run very hot? You've mentioned that the Q5 LED is actually held in place by friction and heat is dissipated via the thermal compound. However, I've read that too much thermal compound can be a bad thing. :confused: Thanks!

I am not sure, i havent run it outside m@g body but with mag body it doesnt get hot. Yes its being held by the friction between the four corners of the Cree board and center hole of heatsink. You can simply pry it off with your finger nail(yeah that easy). With the original driver which only push 750ma(?) i think current solution is enough to transfer the heat.

Thanks.

Probedude

Enlightened
- Did you crack the inductor or did it come that way?
- does the side of the board with thermal paste on it contact anything else? If it's just smeared with compound and not in contact with anything - it's useless.

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
- Did you crack the inductor or did it come that way?
- does the side of the board with thermal paste on it contact anything else? If it's just smeared with compound and not in contact with anything - it's useless.

The inductor already crack like that when i opened it just like most inductor equipped driver board i ordered from KD.

No, the board it self doesnt make direct contact with the heatsink other than the sides. The heatsink compound only "bridges" the board and the side of the heatsink.

Thanks