How well do ARC AAA's handle heat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rifter

Enlightened
How well do ARC AAA\'s handle heat?

Hi guys. I was out camping last weekend and had my arc clipped to my hat to use as a headlight. Anyways it was raining and i had my hat by the fire to dry during the day and after a while(think 3-4 hours) i noticed my arc was still clipped to my hat and was ON. I grabbed it and also noticed it was really really hot, way to hot to hold without gloves on. Anyways i unscrewed the head and dropped out the battery(which was also really really hot) let it cool and then put it back together. It works fine and seems a little smoother now, im just wondering if i did any real damage. Thanks guys!

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: How well do ARC AAA\'s handle heat?

I make custom kydex and concealex sheaths and some light holders, and have used my Arc AAA LE to make keychain holders. In order to form the plastics you have to heat them to around 300 degrees and after making several holsters using my LE I have not had any problems with the function of the light, it runs fine. I would not suggest overheating them to often though as it may eventually damage circuitry but I think it can survive the occassional overheating.

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

inverno

Newly Enlightened

The battery will probably leak or deform before the circuitry is damaged. Hot enough, of course, and the LED lens or O-ring, or foam, might melt!

Tomas

Banned

Mine survived the full set of cycles through washer and dryer (inside a zippered pocket) with no ill effects ...

I am sure the heat involved with forming Kydex is greater, but the heat in the dryer is more prolonged.

Like TSG said, occasional bouts like that shouldn't be a problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tomsig03.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

i recall reading a post about someone dropping his arc AAA into a pan of hot motor oil with no ill effects either. i've frozen my arc AAA in the freezer and dropped it in boiling water whilst on for the fun of it and it still works fine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast

As far as batteries exploding, I myself have tested batteries at up to 140°F (60°C) to 5°F (-15°C). You start to lose a miniscule amount of voltage, about .003 Volts or so, at 140°F compared to room temperature. As the temperature decreases, you also gain voltage too, for instance in a refrigerator. I do not know at what temperature the batteries will explode or freeze though.

Computer circuitry can withstand temperatures of about 130°F (54°C) and even more. I don't know how computer circuitry compares to Arc AAA circuitry, but would image that it's similar.

I hope you find this helpful, Rifter. Also the fact that cooler temperatures boost battery voltage a slight amount might be of use to any flashaholic.

Darell

Flashaholic

I'm still wondering how it got so danged hot. Leaving it on indefinitely shouldn't get it hot at all. I've left one one for the life of the battery several times. It never feels above ambient temp. Wonder what made yours so hot?

PieThatCorner

Enlightened

I think it was because it (Arc AAA) was still clipped to the hat he was drying next to the open fire for almost 3-4 hours.

darkgear.com

Enlightened

C'mon you Phoenix people. Tell us about ther time you left your Arc AAA on the dash of your car in 120° heat (thats over 160° for you people that have never gotten into a car in the Phoenix heat). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Oh yeah, but it's a dry heat. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.