How many nimh AA's for 12V 55W H3

santza

Newly Enlightened
Hi all

How many nimh AA's is good for standard output 12V H3 automotive osram bulb? I really dont want to instaflash it. Want it to be overdriven so that its nice white color.

What should be expected runtime if cells are around 2000mAh?

Thanks

Mark620

Enlightened
55/12=4.58 amps
thats 2.29C on the batteries
maybe 20-30 min run time

A car alternator puts out 13.8 VDC typical

I would think on the bulb would stand 16 Volts.

mdocod

Flashaholic
most automotive bulbs are designed with 200-400 hours bulb life(some are out of these ranges, but this is a ballpark), I'm guessing they are counting on a 13.8V system with some voltage losses from resistance/etc, you can probably count on some voltage sag from the pack and from the resistance of the connections as well, so for simplicities sake we drop that factor off both sides of the equation since they will semi-cancel each-other out. So, to get that bulb operating at that really brilliant white you get pushing in the <20 hours life range, we solve the following equation:

[(13.8/X)^12]x250=20

The equation says, basically: bulb is designed for 13.8V and will last 250 hours at design voltage, X represents the voltage required to reduce bulb life to 20 hours.

If my algebra is still good, the result is ~17V required to reduce bulb life to 20 hours assuming a 250 hour bulb. 14 NIMH cells would be a pretty good starting point IMO. Personally, I would pick up some cheap bulbs to play with (order online, they are out there for under $5 each). Start with maybe 13-14 cells and work up maybe as many as 15 cells. Keep in mind it's going to depend on how well the cells hold up under that load, and how long you rest them after they come off the charger. Keep in mind that on-paper estimates do not always hold true in reality. Every brand of bulb will have a slightly different behavior, and different bulb life, and handle overdrive slightly differently.

Eric

santza

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for help.

Another question.

Is this type battery holder ok or should I just solder the pack together?

thanks

Nos

Enlightened
you better solder them if you can, those cheap batterie holders have a too high resistance and might melt on the ~4,5 amps :whistle:

my 2 cent :broke:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Elite 1700 mA battery from CheapBatteryPacks will have no problem supplying 5 amps, but they will also have a shorter runtime.

You'll need to solder your own pack or find/build an adapter that can handle high currents.

mdocod

Flashaholic
that black plastic battery adapter will turn to a gooey pile of smoking plastic in about 10 seconds with 5 amps flowing through it.

Ask me how I know :)

santza

Newly Enlightened
2 parallel 14 series would make a cood combination. The capacity would be likely to get more than doubled considering the amperage drop of 50%. All soldered together. If i can I charge them with this?
:http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12618

I have not bought that charger yet but I just might

or is there something special about charging parallel series NiMh?