Small EDC Torch

pobox1475

Enlightened
I have a SF L2 LumaMax that I carry when I know Illumination will be needed. A Fenix E01 on key ring. During the warmer months I EDC a small backpack and try to keep it's contents as simple and light as possible. I had intended on getting a L0D (using e2 Liths) to supplement the E01 for times when higher light levels are required. Now I have become aware that rechargeable 123's are available. Would something like a Fenix P1D Q5 fed an AW regulated cell be a wiser choice? My main concern is having power when I need it. Do the R-CR123's suffer from any major self discharge tendencies?

EXCALIBUR1

Newly Enlightened
I EDC an L0D Q4 and have an E01 for backup. I run AAA NiMH batteries. I also like to keep with the AAA format, as both lights use them. If you want to keep your load simple and light, these two lights should give you plenty of illumination for most situations.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
AAA lights are fantastic for EDC. The LOD on e2 lithium would be a nice combination and the LOD is versital with low, medium and high output. If you do not mind taking time to learn how to program a light, the Liteflux LF2X is great and offers more flexibility than the LOD (you can set it up just how you want). I think a good AAA light is the best EDC size. Small AA and CR123 lights are great for pocket carry when you know you will be using a light and want added runtime and output.

If you are considering a small light that will work well with RCR123 rechargables you should look at the Lumapower IncenDio. Very compact and nice UI. The Fenix is not good on RCR cells.

Another very small light that can run on RCR cells is the Bitz.

sb0007

Newly Enlightened
I used to carry a P2D but now a LOD q4 replaces it. While I missed output of the P2d but the size and ease to get the aaa batt for the lod knocks the p2d off the edc duty roster.

As always i have at least 2 lights on me. 1 p3d in the bag and lod in my keypouch. Not including the 4 lights and spare batt in my cars.

pobox1475

Enlightened
small light that can run on RCR cells is the Bitz
Nice. Ti and sapphire crystal, but a buck forty:eek:oo:. Is it worth this premium?

Also in keeping options open and realizing that I have a surplus of AA e2's what would be a good light in this format?

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I have a total of 12 RCR123 cells from DX, 4 of which are protected. The most surprising thing about them all is their LSD properties. I match and number each pair and rotate them in/out of use in my 6P and always keep 3 pairs charged for backup use at work. The biggest surprise has been the LSD characteristics of each cell. I'll charge them and sometimes let them sit for 2-3 weeks, pop them in the charger to top them off and inside of 10-20 seconds they are peaked.

I am also looking for a small-ish RCR123 EDC. 2 lights that are in the front running for me are the Romisen RC-C3 and the shiningbeam Q5 updated Romisen RC-N3.

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-37/Romisen-RC-dsh-C3-1005/Detail

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-53/Romisen-RC-dsh-N3-CREE-Q5/Detail

this is the multi mode I am considering
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10806

Last edited:

HeadCSO

Enlightened
L0D Q4 is a fine light and is exceptionally bright for its size. It is my summer EDC.

If you want something a little bigger, how about Wolf Eyes new Angel C. It is a single cell CR123A light. It is equally happy using a rechargeable CR123A or a primary, and is brighter than your L2.

Centropolis

Enlightened
The P1D, and P2D from Fenix don't work well with rechargeable.

The Olight T10 and the Nitecore Extreme works fine though.

Just to add a note to the Olight T10.......if you wat to use rechargeables....make sure that you're buying the 2008 version and not the previous 2007 version as only the 2008 will retain lower modes with RCRs.

Ninjaz7

Enlightened
I've compared many of my stock against the LOD-CE running on 10440.While beam characteristics are dramaticly diffrent,the output is very impressive...I carry it as a backup while not at work...impressive set up.

nbp

Flashaholic
Review thread on the BitZ. Lots of info here. I reaaaaalllly like mine. :D

Latest posts