Anyone know where to get a red LED upgrade for a mini mag?

J.McDonald Knives

Newly Enlightened
I am wanting to hunt hogs at night with my shotgun and need a single red LED upgrade for my mini mag. Anyone know how to make one or where to find one? I don't like the 3 bulb LED upgrade from nite ize but I like the single bulb. Is there a way to modify it to be red?

J.McDonald Knives

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know how to make a single red LED upgrade for a mini mag?

I want to start hunting hogs at night and need a red version of the single 1 watt LED upgrade from nite ize. Thanks.

J.McDonald Knives

Newly Enlightened
Re: Anyone know how to make a single red LED upgrade for a mini mag?

Ya thats what I'm looking for but is there a cheaper way to do it? I already have the nite-ize version which is white. Is there a way to mod it for cheap?

Gunner12

Flashaholic

You'll need a buck driver, a red LED runs at around 1.9-2.2v(depends in drive current and the individual LED).

Two AA alkaline batteries is 3v(more like 3.2v fresh), two NiMh batteries fresh can be up to 3v, two fresh Lithium AA batteries is 3.4v, so the voltage would be too high for the LED and it would need to be lowered.

White LEDs run at around 3.3-3.7v(depends in drive current and the individual LED), so they need a boost driver to raise the voltage.

A red filter with a white LED would remove most of the light and make it dim. White LEDs don't usually produce much red.

J.McDonald Knives

Newly Enlightened

Thanks. So there is no way to switch the bulb in this one to the red one without a new buck driver?

J.McDonald Knives

Newly Enlightened
Ya ya ya!! :banghead::lolsign::lolsign::lolsign: Looks like I gotta dish out the extra money. I talked to Nite-Ize and told them if they made it in red they would sell a lot of them. I mean I can get the white Nite-Ize one for under $10. How hard is it for them to make one in red?

J.McDonald Knives

Newly Enlightened

Didn't check the board well enough. As you can tell very new to the forums and only know just a bit about electronics.

jake25

Enlightened
Ya ya ya!! :banghead::lolsign::lolsign::lolsign: Looks like I gotta dish out the extra money. I talked to Nite-Ize and told them if they made it in red they would sell a lot of them. I mean I can get the white Nite-Ize one for under $10. How hard is it for them to make one in red?
I dont remember exactly but isn't the Nite Ize Dropins like 30 Lumen?

J.McDonald Knives

Newly Enlightened
Not sure. I just know I only use the 3 bulb when I am working in close quarters but the single bulb gets used a whole lot. Dropped my 3 cell D mag lite into the river and can't find it so now I gotta buy a LED bulb for my other 3 cell D mag lite that I just got the switch warrantied.