Laser Devices OP-9 LED

loszabo

Enlightened
I just received my first Laser Devices flashlight. (Laser Devices is 25 years old and not to be confused with LaserProducts/SureFire.) For me a flashlights needs to fulfill the following parameters:
  • Made in the USA
  • Aerospace-grade aluminum body
  • Weapon-mountable / recoil-resistant
Why? I work with operators and I love HSLD gear. I will not further discuss this with anyone and that is my personal reason why I've given away every Fenix, Inova, or NovaTac after a few days...

I have already introduced myself as a SureFan, but I respect good products from other US companies as well. LDI and Insight have demonstrated that they can produce great products as well. As I love the Night-Ops Gladius (= Insight H2X Typhon) and the Falcata (lamp & assembly by LDI), it was only logical that I would add an OP-6 or OP-9!

I always EDC a primary flashlight (currently the SF A2 around my neck) and have a second flashlight in my backpack. Most of the time my secondary flashlights have weapons-mounts attached, unless I travel a lot by plane. I plan to assign this role to the LDI OP for next time and give my Gladius some time-out. I will use the OP also primarily for low-light training, room-clearing scenarios, and shooting.

I made two quick-and-dirty pictures, but I respect the "code of CPF" and hope to present some interesting beam-shots in the near future!

OP9_A2_1.JPG

OP9_A2_2.JPG

The OP-9 LED is my fist three-cell flashlight ever. Therefore I cannot compare it to a 9P, G3, or M3. I've planned to purchase a SF M3, but the OP-9 was an opportunity I could not resist. Possibly I will buy the SF UB2 before and skip the SF M3 until next year.

I have not yet really tested the OP-9 LED, except trying in out in my dark flat and bathtub. (After I buy a new flashlight I immediately put it right into the full bathtub for a few minutes, to see if there are any hardware problems...) The 5 watt output is very bright. I'm not sure about the real lumens number, as I've found different info on the website. I guess it is between 125 and 150 lumens for approx. 1.5 hours. (Unfortunately, these are the same specs for the OP-6 LED here [PDF]...) Also, LDI warns explicitly not to use it for more than 20 minutes.

[I will try to find out more about the tech. specs. and verify those.]

I've already carried the OP-9 in my front pocket of my Patagonia M.A.R.S. Dimension soft-shell (don't ask; n/a anymore!) for several hours and I did not notice the OP as being uncomfortable or too heavy. It is nice to have such a bright light ready as an impact weapon. Handling and holding the OP-9 is great, but for tactical applications I would really recommend wearing gloves.

The only negative thing so far is the missing lock-out feature. Because of the springs inside the lamp, your would really have to unscrew the switch end cap to lock it out -- which means removing the batteries at all.

More to come...

Last edited:

loszabo

Enlightened
that runtime is pretty short for a 3 cell light, what's under the hood?:poke:

I agree. My impression is that both the OP-6 LED and OP-9 LED manage an output of 150 lumens, but the runtime is longer with the OP-9.

I met the LDI CEO Heinz Thummel this week and try to email him about this.

Paladin

Enlightened
I have an incandescent OP-9 and was very impressed with the build quality. My wife sometimes carries a red anodized OV-1(?) with two cells. A LDI "Lastac" visible red laser has survived many, many rounds fired while weapon mounted, although I mostly use it for exercising my dogs.

FWIW the later Streamlight TL-3 bulbs, NightOps Falcata, and LDI OP-9 lamps are built using the same plastic lamp base, although there are some slight build differences which prevent interchangability. Wanted to get the wife an LED version, but she wanted a red light body, and LDI only sold black LED models at the time.

Paladin

loszabo

Enlightened
Update: I'm not going to post any beamshot pictures, as I have "dumped" the light. The LED is flickering like crazy and I do not get any answer from LDI... :scowl: