First LED Flashlight Advice Please

adammg

Newly Enlightened
hey yall, first post here....I am looking for my first LED light.
I am looking for something thats durable (I know Surefire is, but goin cheaper to start with.) Got about $70 dollars to spend on one. Brightness is not my main factor right now, rather have long run time. AA or CR123 also being a newbie heard something about CR123's catching fire?

Any help would be good even just names of brands.

Thanks
Adammg

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the Inova lights. They are some of the best value for the dollar out there. Built like tanks too. I have an X-5 and a Bolt 2aa and both lights are durable well built and bright enough for their intended purposes.

Niconical

Enlightened
If you're not going Surefire, and you have up to $70, and you want reliable and long runtime options then Fenix would seem to be the obvious choice. You then just need to decide small, 1 x CR123A, larger, 2 x CR123A.

You'll most likely get a lot of options posted here, but I'll start things rolling with the Fenix L0D Q4, P1D Q5, and P3D Q5.

You can see them all at www.fenix-store.com

As for batteries, just get good ones, either from fenixstore, or www.batterystation.com

curlyfry562

Enlightened
:welcome:, adammg. I must warn you that soon $200+ Surefires will seem much less expensive and much more enticing the longer you stay around here. I would recommend a fenix light, they are the ones I most commonly buy for friends and family. They have multiple battery options and are well built. Here is there selection on lighthound.com. The brightest ones will have Cree Q5 LEDs http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=62&Page=2

Good luck:thumbsup:

kc_pig

Newly Enlightened
PM me if you want the Fenix T1 or the new TK10s, both 220 lumen LEDs. He orders direct from Fenix and can get them for much less than what others sell them for. You'll pay about 65-70. Outstanding lights and I use it on duty every night.

HeadCSO

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF.

Firstly, CR123A's are perfectly safe to use. Stick with decent brands such as Duracell, Panasonic, Surefire or others made in USA. Don't mix used and new batteries or different brands, and don't try to charge primary cells.

Here are my recommendations:

1 AA lights
Fenix L1D Q5
Fenix L1T Q2 (simple 2 level brightness)
Wolf Eyes Angel A

2 AA Lights
Fenix L2D Q5
Fenix L2T Q2

1 CR123A light
Fenix P2D Q5
Wolf Eyes Angel C

2 CR123A light
Fenix P3D Q5
Fenix TK10
Surefire G2L (the only Surefire LED within your budget)

If you are going to go with Fenix, definitely check out Fenix Store.

adammg

Newly Enlightened
Went ahead and order from Fenix Store...seemed to be the best prices especially with the coupon code. Thanks for that btw. Got a Black L2D Q5 and a Olive E01 for my keychain. Woo hoo!

Is the fenix store good on fast shipping?

Wattnot

Enlightened
Good job! Excellent choices.

Yes they're fast . . . you should have those puppies by Wednesday.

Now go find some Eneloop nimh rechargeable batteries. Check in our marketplace section for suggestions. Costco may still have their package deal. NIMH (nickel metal hydride) will work much better than alkalines, even with the alkalines being slightly higher in voltage. I hear those E2 Enegizer lithiums work well too if you're not into rechargeables.

Avoid alkalines unless the world has exploded and we're all dead.

Enjoy and :welcome:.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alkalines are OK in the E01, but you'll get far better performance in the L2D with it's higher power- see here if still think alkalines are good ;)

adammg

Newly Enlightened
Dang thats some fast and FREE shipping with a 8% coupon to boot! I am very pleased with my purchases from what I've been able to do so far with them which ain't much since its still daylight. Managed to impress my family with them. Did Maglite Vs Fenix/LED test. Mini mag beat E01 barely but I understand its not for long distance and L2D blew a way a 2 D Cell Maglite. Haven't out it up against the 6 cell yet. Thanks for the help yall, time to replensh money and find some CR123 variants.

PS - Uncle will be getting one of these for a Christmas present - Shhhh no one tell him.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Did Maglite Vs Fenix/LED test. Mini mag beat E01 barely but I understand its not for long distance and L2D blew a way a 2 D Cell Maglite. Haven't out it up against the 6 cell yet. Thanks for the help yall, time to replensh money and find some CR123 variants.

When comparing to Maglite and other incandescent flashlights, remember that the Fenix keeps the same output until the battery is empty, but the other lights will have a declining output.

In this review of a Maglite your can see the output curve:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_3d.htm

Down to 50% in one hour:thumbsdow

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very true. Back then a $100+ SureFire was expensive for me.

adammg :welcome:

:welcome:, adammg. I must warn you that soon $200+ Surefires will seem much less expensive and much more enticing the longer you stay around here. I would recommend a fenix light, they are the ones I most commonly buy for friends and family. They have multiple battery options and are well built. Here is there selection on lighthound.com. The brightest ones will have Cree Q5 LEDs http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=62&Page=2

Good luck:thumbsup:

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Went ahead and order from Fenix Store...seemed to be the best prices especially with the coupon code. Thanks for that btw. Got a Black L2D Q5 and a Olive E01 for my keychain. Woo hoo!

Is the fenix store good on fast shipping?
:welcome: adammg! Wow, that was fast... it took me a good two weeks when I first joined CPF to purchase my first two lights and you're already there! :thumbsup:

Btw, great choices for your first two lights... the P2D Q5 is a great edc light. Now, consider yourself spoiled and on your way down the slippery (but definitely fun) slope to flashoholism. Just hang onto your wallet 'cos... you'll be using this a lot :paypal: and that equals to... :broke:...

Oh, if you haven't already been told about the link, you should read The Welcome Mat thread for more info about lights and LED's and safety precautions about primary and rechargeable lithium-ion batteries.