New SF Z32?

Nathan

Enlightened
I read on another board that the SureFire Z32 shock isolation bezel has been redesigned. It looks like the latest LU60A bezel (flat sides, anti-roll lip). Anyone have one yet?

Nathan

Enlightened
OK, I had to find out so I ordered one. Surprisingly, it cost about the same as the previous version, even though the latest one has been improved in just about every way. It's much heavier and doesn't feel like just sheet metal; anodizing seems to be HA, not Type 2; the lens is now Pyrex, not Lexan; it has a anti-roll hexagon built into the lower bezel.

I have it on an E2DL body/Z68 tailcap with the collar from an LU60A, which by the way has also been redesigned. I've been told the bezel looks like a Z32, just slightly smaller. It houses a Malkoff M60.

Old version on the left, new one on the right.

IMG_7163.jpg

IMG_7161.jpg

IMG_7162.jpg

IMG_7167.jpg

And with the previous LU60A bezel, on the right:
IMG_7165.jpg

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
I love how transparent the optically coated Pyrex is compared to the old school lens. Great looking head too.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
The product is old hat. The bezel is in fact the very head found on the M2, only does not carry a "-1" in its designation.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The product is old hat. The bezel is in fact the very head found on the M2, only finished in Type II and not HA. It is specified as simply Z32 "black" versus Z32 HA and does not carry a "-1" in its designation.

Yeah, I thought that bezel looked familiar.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The Z32 has never been made in natural HA.

The LU60A is NOT a bezel. It is a Lamp Module.
It features an "M2" bezel (part number 13586-11 I believe), an adapter collar for the M600 ScoutLight (E-Series) and a P60 Lamp Assembly.
It is Black HA (type III)

The LU60 is also a Lamp Module.
It features an "M2" bezel (part number 13586-1 I believe), an adapter collar for the Millennium Universal WeaponLight Series (MH90 Housing Body) and a P60 Lamp Assembly.
It is natural HA (type III)

The "M2" bezel has never had a Z-number.
SureFire redesigned the M2 bezel because it is the bezel used by the M95 WeaponLight - the most issued weapon-mounted light by the US Military.
Feedback from users was that the M95 was too heavy. SureFire redesigned the MH90 and "M2" bezel to reduce mass by a noticeable amount.

It appears that SureFire have replaced the Z32 bezel with the "M2" bezel.

Note also that the "M2" bezel is wider diameter (1.47" vs 1.36"). It therefore uses a different set of BeamFilters.

FM4x (1.36" diameter) - Z32 aka Classic WeaponLight "Taclight" Shock Isolated Bezel.
FM6x (1.47" diameter) - M2, 8X, 8AX/8NX/L7, KL3/KL5/U2 etc

Classic BeamFilters for Taclight (Z32) (1.36" diameter)
F11 - Red
F12 - IR
F13 - Cover
F19 - Blue
F63 - BeamShaper (Medium)
F64 - BeamShaper (Wide)

Classic BeamFilters for 8-Series (& "M2") (1.47" diameter)
F62 - Cover
F66 - Red
F67 - Blue
F68 - Traffic Wand
F69 - IR
F70 - BeamShaper

I hope this helps

Al

Nathan

Enlightened
I believe the anodizing is HA. It doesn't have the sheen of other Type II parts. But some of my Z68 tailcaps (which are HA) are somewhat shiny, so I could be wrong.

Al, I realize the LU60A is a complete lamp module. I should have stated the other bezel was from an LU60A.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I believe the anodizing is HA. It doesn't have the sheen of other Type II parts. But some of my Z68 tailcaps (which are HA) are somewhat shiny, so I could be wrong.
The new style Black "M2" bezel photographed above is Black HA.
I very much doubt SureFire will bother making three finish versions of this bezel sticking with natural HA, and black HA.

Al, I realize the LU60A is a complete lamp module. I should have stated the other bezel was from an LU60A.
fair enough :)

I guess that now SureFire appear to have replaced the old Z32 bezel with the "M2" bezel at least the M2 bezel has a Z-number (Z32) so people will know what to call it.
(The M3 bezel is Z46 btw fyi fwiw)

This does mean that we'll have to prefix Z32 with 'old' and 'new' for quite some time but hey, if it were easy it wouldn't be as interesting I suppose...

Al

Nathan

Enlightened
I know this is a noob question but will this bezel fit on an L4 body ?

Not without a collar, sometimes called an "E2C" adapter. It's the knurled part between the bezel and the body in the pic of the complete light above. It's part of the LU60A lamp module.
I'll see if I have any pics of just the collar.